Random end-of-year thoughts

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Sparky

Random end-of-year thoughts

Postby Sparky » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:55 pm

No, it's not a top 10 or even necessarily related to this year...

1. How *insanely* great is Shadow Gallery? I mean, remember when there was some speculation that they might record at slower speeds and speed it up later? THAT'S how fantastic these guys are ability-wise.

2. I'm really stumped that the last Wolverine made nary a splash of noise around here - especially compared to Communication Lost. I waaaaay prefer it to CL.

3. I'm still pissed off that Dream Theater is going to release an Images and Words anniversary show instead of The Astonishing. And of course, I'll still buy it.

4. Speaking of DT, Mangini plays on a new project releasing at the end of January - 'Into the Great Divide'. Composer/guitarist is still unknown, but I'm told we'll know 'soon'. From the two tracks they've release, it's BEASTLY.

5. Even though I'm not into the whole 7+ string guitar thing, the sheer amount of *technically* astounding players out there now is mind-blowing, and 'the more strings, the better' thing is where they've all seemed to migrate.

6. New Teramaze in 2018! Woot!!!!

7. It seems that every time I listened to Sons of Apollo, conditions where always less than ideal. I probably heard the thing 20 times and really found it...lacking...or something. My 21st listen was through good headphones and fairly loud (which I usually don't do - the loud part) and the disc just totally opened up. Bumblefoot and Sheehan are a deadly combination, for sure.

8. On the jazz front, The Bad Plus part ways with pianist/comedian Ethan Iverson this week, and will continue on with a new guy the band has always been friends with. And Dave King is one of my absolute favorite drummers. They're coming to town next month, so I'm a happy camper.

Have a good holidays, everyone!
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Random end-of-year thoughts

Postby LarryD » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:30 pm

Sparky wrote:No, it's not a top 10 or even necessarily related to this year...

***Well then - put a Top 10 list up...... :wink:

1. How *insanely* great is Shadow Gallery? I mean, remember when there was some speculation that they might record at slower speeds and speed it up later? THAT'S how fantastic these guys are ability-wise.

***I don't know about that particular aspect of the band - but the insane part I agree with .............

2. I'm really stumped that the last Wolverine made nary a splash of noise around here - especially compared to Communication Lost. I waaaaay prefer it to CL.

*** I will go on record and say that you will be in the minority here ....... I believe that CL is Wolverine's finest moment, and the new one just can't compete with that....... I also believe that the disc brought the band back into the hearts of those who may have abandoned them ....... and then their awesome shows at PP validated everything we felt.......the next disc, while good, is not up to the greatness of CL.

3. I'm still pissed off that Dream Theater is going to release an Images and Words anniversary show instead of The Astonishing. And of course, I'll still buy it.

***Agree with this completely --- and although I'm buying the IW show, please put The Astonishing on Bluray in the future please ...... I've promised my wife that it will happen, and I don't know how to explain to her that I&W is coming out instead........

4. Speaking of DT, Mangini plays on a new project releasing at the end of January - 'Into the Great Divide'. Composer/guitarist is still unknown, but I'm told we'll know 'soon'. From the two tracks they've release, it's BEASTLY.

***I look forward to this .......

5. Even though I'm not into the whole 7+ string guitar thing, the sheer amount of *technically* astounding players out there now is mind-blowing, and 'the more strings, the better' thing is where they've all seemed to migrate.

*** That's ok -- just please will they stop adding the "djent" sound to the concept of the down tune..........

6. New Teramaze in 2018! Woot!!!!

***I'm one of the few that the last disc didn't blow away ....... so I'm wooting for this next one to do so ...........

7. It seems that every time I listened to Sons of Apollo, conditions where always less than ideal. I probably heard the thing 20 times and really found it...lacking...or something. My 21st listen was through good headphones and fairly loud (which I usually don't do - the loud part) and the disc just totally opened up. Bumblefoot and Sheehan are a deadly combination, for sure.

***Next.

Have a good holidays, everyone!

***You too !!!!! But I've got way more thoughts brewing in my head than you posted .............. :wink: I wish I didn't have so many........

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:48 pm

Sparky wrote:2. I'm really stumped that the last Wolverine made nary a splash of noise around here - especially compared to Communication Lost. I waaaaay prefer it to CL.

This reminds me how much music taste is subjective... I can say the exact opposite about Communication Lost and the last one...

happy holidays to you and to everyone on this board!
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:23 am

Sparky wrote:No, it's not a top 10 or even necessarily related to this year...

So true. Couldn't agree with you more.
Güy

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:58 pm

1. Their PP show was one of my favorite live shows ever! Don't recall the speed up thing?

2. I like it just as much if not more so too.

3. Are you kidding me? Give me the Images show any day over this over-bloated 2112 wanna be. Who am I kidding, I'd probable buy TA too. lol

4. Will certainly check this out.

5. Yea, really crazy young talent out there.

6. Bring it on.

7. It is uneven, but has some stand out stuff. Mike said this was a prog band, so they need to go full prog mode in the future imo.

8. Don't know this one.

Happy Holidays!
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Return to “PM: Core”