2017 back catalogue additions...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Hearing Aid Man

2017 back catalogue additions...

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:34 am

Always nice to find something awesome you might have missed over the years. I just discovered Tomorrow's Eve & some mid era Kamelot CD's over the last few years were essential & 2017 was no exception for me. 2 bands finally started to click for me. The last two Sieges Even & all Subsignal CD's are seriously kicking my butt. I'd always wrote them off as too light, but after giving them a good listen I found I didn't want to listen to much else this year. They are quite proggy and their singer is fantastic. One other CD of note would be Symphony X - Iconoclast. I passed when it was released and now I can't stop listening to it. I think it could be my favorite from them. I'll have to listen to some of their older ones and see how they are holding up.

Any non 2017 CD's new to you really dominate your player this year?

GaetanL

Re: 2017 back catalogue additions...

Postby GaetanL » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:32 am

IQ - The Road Of Bones (2014)
Mystery - Delusion Rain (2015)
Redemption - The Fullness Of Time (2005)
Triumph - Thunder Seven (1984)
Wolverine - Communication Lost (2011)
Marillion - Seasons End (1989)
Scorpions - Humanity: Hour I (2007)
Crimson Glory - Transcendence (1988)
Dokken - Under Lock And Key (1985)
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard Of Ozz (1980) (30th anniversary edition CD with 3 bonus tracks)
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Nos

Postby Nos » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:40 am

Good question.

There was one for me, which was very coincidental. I was listening to Alyson Avenue's "Presence Of Mind" for the first time in a while, and it clicked with me that it isn't just good, but damn amazing. So I listened to that a ton, and figured I needed to actually go out and find a real copy of it. It was right as I was doing that Frontiers announced The Dark Element project. That was rather serendipitous.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:42 am

One other CD of note would be Symphony X - Iconoclast. I passed when it was released and now I can't stop listening to it. I think it could be my favorite from them.

This!!!! I won't go so far as to say it is my favorite (Divine Wings!) or their best (V), but it IS very underrated. I think it is the perfect blending of their heavier modern sound with their more classical elements from the early era. REALLY strong disc!
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:03 am

Maybe I didn't read the question correctly... Many in my list are not new to me... anyway, I think it's a good list! :wink:
Gaétan

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:08 am

For me, there are 2 discs out of the year that blow me away all,year round......

Evership \ self-titled. Released in 2016, but I put it on my Top 10 this year as I hadn't heard it until July.....thanks Todd !!!!

The other disc that blows me away, and really, the band owns me, is Mystery \ Delusion Rain....... This band has taken over my life....... And their new DVD concert, is mind boggling. The quality and class of this band is stunning....... As,far as,I know, you can only get the dvd from The Lasers Edge or the band itself......last I checked, TLE was out....... The show is all class.

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:10 am

LarryD wrote:The other disc that blows me away, and really, the band owns me, is Mystery \ Delusion Rain.......

This is actually the only back catalogue album in my list new to me in 2017.
Gaétan

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:27 pm

Sorry, I misunderstood the question too....... But for argument sake, both of the discs I mentioned are still blowing me away in 2017......... :D

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:35 pm

Oddly enough, I am finally getting through a haul I brought back from ProgPower 2016, so have a few candidates for this thread....

Delain - Really had never checked them out, as I had thought they were going to be just a little TOO poppy for my tastes, ala Amaranthe. They walk a fine line, but for the most part I enjoy Delain quite a bit, as they just toe the line of being too bubble-gummy.

Harmony - While I have listened to Darkwater, I had never checked out Harmony. Glad I did. Not as proggy as Darkwater, but I love the neo-classical overtones, especially on "Dreaming Awake".

Evership - Same as Larry on this one; majestic prog rock from Nashville, fusing elements of Queen and Yes into a modern sound.

The Murder of My Sweet - Not sure why I never picked them up before, as I am a big Mind's Eye fan.... Much like Delain, it toes the line of being overly commercial, but stays on the right side the entire time. Reminds me a lot of The Dark Element, as I am now listening to that disc.

Teodor Tuff - Probably my favorite back catalogue pickup of the year! Divided Multitude playing a more straightforward brand of melodic metal. From the very opening chords and the belted out "WE CALL ON YOU...... We call on you TO DIE!!!!" this album is a blast. Highly recommended!!!!
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

elendil

Postby elendil » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:Delain - Really had never checked them out, as I had thought they were going to be just a little TOO poppy for my tastes, ala Amaranthe. They walk a fine line, but for the most part I enjoy Delain quite a bit, as they just toe the line of being too bubble-gummy.

The first Delain disc is amazing but they declined after that IMO. The main attraction for me is the keys. Not many bands are doing that Within Temptation, _Mother Earth_ style of lush symphonics.

My 2017 back-catalog purchases include a lot of 70s prog and lighter stuff I had passed over in the "metal or death" days of my youth. Some highlights:

* Ayreon - _Into the Electric Castle_. No, I'd never gotten this one. Glad I finally did.
* Emerson, Lake, & Palmer - _Brain Salad Surgery_. Love the keyboard wankery.
* Frank Zappa - _Hot Rats_. This is my kind of jazz(-rock). High-energy, technical, even virtuosic.
* Kansas - _Point of Know Return_. I knew the title track of course, but didn't realize the deep tracks were so good until I streamed it. Had to have the CD. Their best IMO.
* King Crimson - _Radical Action to Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind_. If you couldn't tell from my profile image, KC is my favorite 70s-era prog band. This double live album is surprisingly great, though. Lots of tasty, subtle goodies, especially in the percussion.
* Pain of Salvation - _Remedy Lane_. I lost track of these guys after _The Perfect Element_, which way back when it came out I thought was pretty meh. But I streamed this one a few times and it really clicked. Got the disc & it's been on regular rotation.
* Thank You Scientist - _Stranger Heads Prevail_. A 2016 disc, so not really a big lag here. People keep comparing them to Coheed & Cambria. Wut? They're way better.
* Van der Graaf Generator - _Pawn Hearts_. Totally underrated, adventurous, even avant-garde prog album from 1971. Featuring Robert Fripp!
* Vektor - _Terminal Redux_. Another '16 release. Superb technothrash, though I'm not sure they'll ever quite match the masterful debut.
* Yes - _Drama_. An often overlooked Yes album from 1980. Still happy-prog but has a harder rock edge than most of their stuff.

devomeister

Postby devomeister » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Volbeat for me. Didn't think much of them upon first listen back in the day, but their strange mix of rockabilly, punk and metal won me over this year for some reason.
Check out my professional portfolio:
https://chris_devo.artstation.com/

Check out my art blog:
http://chrisdevosartblog.blogspot.com/

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:11 am

For those who,care......the Mystery DVD called Second Home is available all over Amazon as,well...... Gaetan,,u need this one badly if u don't already have it........

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:04 am

LarryD wrote:For those who,care......the Mystery DVD called Second Home is available all over Amazon as,well...... Gaetan,,u need this one badly if u don't already have it........

I already have it Larry. Excellent indeed... :)
Gaétan

Return to “PM: Core”