BLIND EGO / Liquid Live .......first thoughts.

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

BLIND EGO / Liquid Live .......first thoughts.

Postby LarryD » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:01 pm

Blind Ego's "Liquid" was a Top 10 for me ....... here, Kalle Wagner (RPWL) releases a live CD and DVD of the show at the same time ........ I've been through one pass only, and I have to say coming off Kansas' Live Leftoverture (which was probably not a good thing to do), left me a bit cold .......

First and foremost, singer Erik Blomkvist who made the Liquid disc lots of what it is, is missing from this show ..... in his place, is Scott Balaban, who is a good singer - but he doesn't have that aggressive approach that Erik had on Liquid ....... he gets buried a bit because of his laid back approach and softer voice........ Arno Menses (Subsignal) is back for his single "Blackened" which is one of the better songs on Liquid - but his one song is not enough to carry this one.

The disc itself is mostly from Liquid - which is a good thing - but the sound is almost completely compressed for a live disc, and after hearing Kansas' mix on their live disc left me wanting more in the sound dept. I have not seen the DVD yet - but I'm not going in very optimistically due to Erik not being in the show ....... I'm not sure what happened, but I think this was a big mistake. Musically, this is about as perfect as it gets as Kalle Wagner is a phenomenal player and song writer, but the total package is lacking moreso ....... more thoughts coming after I watch the DVD.

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: BLIND EGO / Liquid Live .......first thoughts.

Postby LarryD » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:32 am

I really don't think many people actually give a shit about this band ....... and I'm surprised given their last disc made some Top 10 lists last year ........ anyway, I finally got to the DVD part of this disc, which was my main focus on buying it in the first place........and what I'm about to say probably will insure that no one checks out this band further........ :(

For those of who care about Blind Ego - you know it's the side project of guitar great Kalle Wagner of RPWL fame. (That's a Neo-Prog band influenced by Pink Floyd).

Kalle put a CD / DVD set together here, with a live version of the Liquid disc he released last year. While the CD is very good, as I mention above, it is without singer Erik Blomkvist, who sang on Liquid. He is one of the highlights, but he has been replaced here by Scott Balaban, who is good, but not quite the aggressive version of Erik. Arno Menses (thankfully) shows up for his "Blackened" song which I think most people know this band from ..... and he nails his song.

Sadly - the DVD itself, while great quality for standard video, is shot in PAL format - and I don't see that listed anywhere on the set. There is a European number on the front, and that should have tipped me off that it wasn't NTSC - but they should put that on the CD cover. If it's there, and I didn't see it - no worries. I have a PAL player, but lots of people do not - and I've been on the receiving end of many a PAL disc that didn't specify ........

If that isn't bad enough - the show is shot in what looks like an underground club in Germany maybe ? Complete with low ceilings, steel beams invading the stage, and maybe a crowd of 100 people or less, who seem to be on the quiet side for a DVD taping. In good humor, the band puts a sign up behind the drummer that reads LOGO - just the word, as if knowing this was going to be shot really just for them and knew how small the crowd was......very few lights, and it's like what would happen if you and I walked into one of our local clubs and found this band playing there that night ... very informal, and not very exciting........
The band does their best to pull it all off - and does musically, with excitement within themselves, which is cool to see ........

In the end - it made me want to go back to the original Liquid disc, and enjoy that monster all over again ........I have to say "buyer beware" on this one ........ :(

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:53 pm

I watched a pro shot live show from them on YouTube some time back. It was a good show in what appeared to be a very small club. I wonder if this is the same show?
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

progdavid

Postby progdavid » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:08 am

i think it is the same show.

i saw them live at NOTP. great energy for sure!

Return to “PM: Core”