KANSAS / Leftoverture - Live and Beyond.

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

KANSAS / Leftoverture - Live and Beyond.

Postby LarryD » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:50 pm

I never thought I'd be talking about a Kansas disc that didn't involve STeve Walsh, much less listen to one. The Prelude Implicit, while pretty good, didn't wow me ....partly because I'm a STeve Walsh whore from 1973, and it's hard to change a leopard's spots......

Don't ask me why I decided to try this one ..... I was browsing Amazon for gifts the other day, and this was "recommended" to me by Amazon ....since they own my soul and property....... While I was browsing, I started playing samples.....then checking out the setlist....... I saw Icarus, Journey from Mariabronn, Lamplight Symphony, and more...... I was hooked. Placed an order with The Lasers Edge, and this disc showed up on my doorstep a short time later......

This disc - is for lack of a better term - tremendous without being perfect. The live production alone (compliments of Jeff Glixman) is superb. Hey, it was recorded in New Orleans, and Mastered in Charleston, SC - two of my favorite places !!!! The music is superb - their heaviest sound to date - my wife even asked " is that Kansas ? it sounds different " ...... yeah, no shit --- Steve Walsh isn't there ...... she happened to see Kansas twice with me both with Steve on deck .......she loves him.

So, in addition to the entire Leftoverture disc - you get Icarus, Icarus II, Journey From Mariabronn, Lamplight Symphony (which is beyond amazing), Dust in the Wind, Paradix, and a couple from Prelude.......

I'd give this whole set a 9 / 10 ...... reason being ? No Steve. Period. But - I have to say this .... Ronnie PLatt is a worthy substitute...... he is not Steve Walsh in the emotional dept, but he can hit the high notes .... and this guy is in his 50s, when Steve was singing these in his 20s...... that says a lot ....... I have to say, that Ronnie sounds like he is straining at times, as anyone would, to hit some soaring notes from Icarus, Paradox and others --- but again, the dude is in his 50s and not even trying to compensate - he is going for the notes each and every time ...... the music - is dead on. 100% Kansas - and their heaviest to date besides the "Live at the Whiskey" show which is pretty heavy for Kansas........

If you are on the fence about this one --- don't be. I'm a total Steve Walsh whore ........and in my mind, no one can replace him .........but, give these guys credit... they lost both of their main stays ..... Kerry Livgren and Steve Walsh ..... and to sound and feel like this disc does, is a feat in itself ....... go to Amazon and check out all the samples for yourself ...... I can't believe I'm actually writing this --- but this is about as bad ass as Kansas gets in 2017........ absolutely superb and first rate.

outprogged42

Re: KANSAS / Leftoverture - Live and Beyond.

Postby outprogged42 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:34 pm

LarryD wrote: This disc - is for lack of a better term - tremendous without being perfect. The live production alone (compliments of Jeff Glixman) is superb. Hey, it was recorded in New Orleans, and Mastered in Charleston, SC - two of my favorite places !!!! The music is superb - their heaviest sound to date - my wife even asked " is that Kansas ? it sounds different " ...... yeah, no shit --- Steve Walsh isn't there ...... she happened to see Kansas twice with me both with Steve on deck .......she loves him.

the music - is dead on. 100% Kansas - and their heaviest to date besides the "Live at the Whiskey" show which is pretty heavy for Kansas........

I can't believe I'm actually writing this --- but this is about as bad ass as Kansas gets in 2017........ absolutely superb and first rate.

The Prelude Implicit is a very heavy album for Kansas. Some fans of heavier stuff may enjoy the disc. It definitely came across live as well. The old songs are dressed up with two guitars and the music had heft like it hasn't had for a long time. It's now largely guitar-based rather than keyboard as it was in the 70's.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:11 pm

The Prelude Implicit is a very heavy album for Kansas. Some fans of heavier stuff may enjoy the disc. It definitely came across live as well. The old songs are dressed up with two guitars and the music had heft like it hasn't had for a long time. It's now largely guitar-based rather than keyboard as it was in the 70's.

*** I'm going to agree with you on this statement ...... and as I listened to the 2nd CD, which is the Leftoverture in it's entirety, I may have spoken too soon ....... As I played it, I kept on wondering where the keyboards where - instead they use the guitars for those parts. If I'm reading the CD info right, they have 2 keyboard players....wtf ? Also - I'm starting to get a better feel for Ronnie's voice, and as he is suited for The Prelude Implicit, he has lots of trouble pulling off Leftoverture.

Again - this is a guy in his 50s, trying to pull off what Steve did in his 20s and 30s. Ronnie has a very monotone / straight ahead voice ..... no emotion, no vibrato, no waver. He just sings straight ahead without varying a note. He is also very nasally. He can hit the notes, but so can I and I sound like shit. When I got to "The Wall", I listened intently and knew this would be the test for him ......and to my ears, the music was dead on, and he hit all the notes .... but the emotion was missing. And I realized it was because he sang it note for note, without a waver. No emotion, no feeling, no vibrato, no nothing ...... and that's the difference between Steve Walsh and any singer who tries to nail "The Wall" .......

In the Kansas documentary, Phil Ehert says -- " Steve Walsh needs to be singing the songs that Kerry Livgren writes" - period. And he was right on the money.......

Scott B

Postby Scott B » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:17 am

I'm going to agree on all of your comments here. The mix and overall sound is very tasty indeed. Ronnie does a good job here, but he is not Steve Walsh. There is that certain element that no vocal doppelganger will possess. The album kind of points this out by using the recorded vocal intro to Carry On, and then Ronnie comes in with the live vocals. Case closed. It's the same thing with Foreigner. Kelly is a killer singer, but there is that "Lou factor" that can't be replaced.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:17 pm

Scott B wrote:I'm going to agree on all of your comments here. The mix and overall sound is very tasty indeed. Ronnie does a good job here, but he is not Steve Walsh. There is that certain element that no vocal doppelganger will possess. The album kind of points this out by using the recorded vocal intro to Carry On, and then Ronnie comes in with the live vocals. Case closed. It's the same thing with Foreigner. Kelly is a killer singer, but there is that "Lou factor" that can't be replaced.

*** I agree with this 100%.......

Return to “PM: Core”