Just in from The Lasers Edge .......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Just in from The Lasers Edge .......

Postby LarryD » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:53 am

Not a big order - and maybe my last of the year, but it does contain a Top 10 disc for me .............

The Dark Element / Annette Olzon -
Bought the MP3s off Amazon the moment it came out, but I wanted the CD as this thing shot right into my Top 10 upon first listen. Lots has already been said about this disc, and basically if you are an Annette fan, in Nightwish or her solo disc, this is a no brainer as it contains her best work to date. Musically, lots of it sounds like leftovers from Nightwish / Imaginaerum - but her non-Nightwish material is incredibly catchy and upbeat, and will have you headbanging and toetapping easily. Her voice is in top shape, and it's really cool to hear her break out on her own and put out a monster like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tHdSv9TmdI

Blind Ego / Liquid Live -
Those of you into the last Blind Ego know what this band is about .... it's Kalle Wagner from RPWL doing his own thing and Liquid was in my Top 10 last year. Kalle is back with a live CD / DVD combo. I love when bands release combos like this, all for $16 at The Lasers Edge. I have not played this yet - I'm saving it for the moment, but when I look at the back of the CD, and see DTS surround sound on the package, I light up with anticipation. Here is a sample clip, or you can listen / watch the whole thing on You Tube .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53hjKEcScRI

Kansas / Live and Beyond - 40th anniversary live
I wasn't going to bite on this one without Steve Walsh. As a mater of fact, I convinced myself I was done with Kansas without him and had my 45 years of bliss with them...... then I was on Amazon browsing, and played some clips off this thing just for the hell of it. Wow !!! I was not only impressed by the songs I had heard, but I was blown away at the production of the live show, on a laptop no less !!!! I looked at the setlist, which I hadn't done before, and besides the obvious Leftoverture set, which is worth it alone, I saw titles like Journey from Mariabronn, Lamplight Symphony, and Icarus on the list and it was a no brainer for me. I haven't played it yet, but I do hope that this is released as a DVD concert, although I'm guessing it would have been already. They are still touring on it, so maybe it will happen in the future......

Nos

Re: Just in from The Lasers Edge .......

Postby Nos » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:19 am

LarryD wrote:Not a big order - and maybe my last of the year, but it does contain a Top 10 disc for me .............

The Dark Element / Annette Olzon -
Bought the MP3s off Amazon the moment it came out, but I wanted the CD as this thing shot right into my Top 10 upon first listen. Lots has already been said about this disc, and basically if you are an Annette fan, in Nightwish or her solo disc, this is a no brainer as it contains her best work to date. Musically, lots of it sounds like leftovers from Nightwish / Imaginaerum - but her non-Nightwish material is incredibly catchy and upbeat, and will have you headbanging and toetapping easily. Her voice is in top shape, and it's really cool to hear her break out on her own and put out a monster like this.

Perhaps as early as next weekend I'll be posting my top ten list, and [spoiler alert] this is certainly going to be on it.

Return to “PM: Core”