Cavalera Conspiracy anyone?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Stevie WOnder

Cavalera Conspiracy anyone?

Postby Stevie WOnder » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:23 am

From time to time, I need some real heavy stuff to balance the Ying and the Yang. So, I started playing some old school thrash classics and I stumble on Sepultura - Roots. It sounds a bit dated today but there is some good stuff on there. Then, a good friend of mine points me towards the Cavalera brothers thrash band and boom! I'm all over their stuff.

So far, I've played Blunt Force Trauma + the new on and I absolutely love it. Yes, those are extreme vox but I don't mind that type since I can hear almost everything they sing and it fits the music. The riffing gage is at 11, I absolutely love their guitar sound. I'm sold!!!

I figure I'm gonna be alone here but just for the fun of it, am I? :mrgreen:
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

Stevie WOnder

Re: Cavalera Conspiracy anyone?

Postby Stevie WOnder » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:50 am

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:47 pm

I don't think I can get into this band based on this song on Youtube. I'm not much into that kind of vocals...

When I need a heavy dose I often play Crimson Glory - Red Sharks very loud with my headphones... Awesome!
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:19 am

GaetanL wrote:I don't think I can get into this band based on this song on Youtube. I'm not much into that kind of vocals...

When I need a heavy dose I often play Crimson Glory - Red Sharks very loud with my headphones... Awesome!

I'm with you. This kind of vox ruin every band for me. Can't stand it at all. When I want real heavy stuff, I play thrash with thrash vox, not death vox, like Kreator, Evil Invaders, Meshiaak or else.

CG-Red Sharks... Now that's some piercing vox!! A bit too high for me to enjoy as well...

Rycher

Postby Rycher » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Inflikted, the first album, is amazing. I like Blunt Force Trauma, but started getting tired of Max putting out albums left and right between Soulfly and Cavalera Conspiracy.

I still like what I hear, but I don't feel the need to own any of it right now.

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:20 am

GaetanL wrote:I don't think I can get into this band based on this song on Youtube. I'm not much into that kind of vocals...

Had I known you would've tried this Gaétan, I would've told you from the get go not to bother. :wink:

To me, CG isn't a really heavy band but more of a melodic metal one with big prog influences. Doesn't mean it's not awesome though. :)

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:21 am

Rycher wrote:Inflikted, the first album, is amazing. I like Blunt Force Trauma, but started getting tired of Max putting out albums left and right between Soulfly and Cavalera Conspiracy.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check this one out. I haven't heard a single note of Soulfly or his other projects. Should I investigate anything in there?

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:17 pm

Stevie WOnder wrote:To me, CG isn't a really heavy band but more of a melodic metal one with big prog influences. Doesn't mean it's not awesome though. :)

It's true in general, but this particular song (Red Sharks) is more heavy than their other songs. But even this song is maybe not that heavy compare to these days heavy standards...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:51 pm

GaetanL wrote:
Stevie WOnder wrote:To me, CG isn't a really heavy band but more of a melodic metal one with big prog influences. Doesn't mean it's not awesome though. :)

It's true in general, but this particular song (Red Sharks) is more heavy than their other songs. But even this song is maybe not that heavy compare to these days heavy standards...

Indeed, it's rather mellow when talking heaviness. I don't get into black metal but I'll stomach some death and mostly thrash even with death vox.

In 2017, here are the heavy bands I've enjoyed and played: Kreator, Behemoth, Sepultura, Warbringer, Meshiaak, Testament, Periphery, Strapping Yound Lad and of course Cavalera Conspiracy. All those bands make CG sound like lullubies. :mrgreen:

Enjoy!!

Rycher

Postby Rycher » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:36 pm

Stevie WOnder wrote:
Rycher wrote:Inflikted, the first album, is amazing. I like Blunt Force Trauma, but started getting tired of Max putting out albums left and right between Soulfly and Cavalera Conspiracy.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check this one out. I haven't heard a single note of Soulfly or his other projects. Should I investigate anything in there?

Soulfly's first handful of albums (up through Dark Ages) are more in the vein of Sepultura's Roots - thrash/groove with tribal sounds and influences. After Dark Ages, Soulfly started getting a bit heavier and losing a little of the tribal stuff (but still plenty of groove). He has more collaborations and guest musicians in Soulfly.

I really like Enslaved - that seems to be the most aggressive album that they've done. Omen is great (reminds me of Chaos AD) and Conquer is pretty good too, but they start to sound very samey.

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:40 am

Rycher wrote:
Stevie WOnder wrote:

Soulfly's first handful of albums (up through Dark Ages) are more in the vein of Sepultura's Roots - thrash/groove with tribal sounds and influences. After Dark Ages, Soulfly started getting a bit heavier and losing a little of the tribal stuff (but still plenty of groove). He has more collaborations and guest musicians in Soulfly.

I really like Enslaved - that seems to be the most aggressive album that they've done. Omen is great (reminds me of Chaos AD) and Conquer is pretty good too, but they start to sound very samey.

Thanks for the tip, I'll investigate. :)

Return to “PM: Core”