The Dark Element (Anette Olzen and Jani Liimatainen)

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

gazinwales

The Dark Element (Anette Olzen and Jani Liimatainen)

Postby gazinwales » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:41 am

I know there are some Nightwish and Sonata Arctica fans here and we have Anette teaming up with Jani for a killer album released in Europe 10th November 2017.

The band's line up is;
Anette Olzon - Lead Vocals (ex Nightwish and Alyson Avenue)
Jani Liimatainen - Guitars, Keyboards, Programming (Ex Sonata Arctica and Cain's Offering)
Jonas Kuhlberg - Bass (Cain's Offering)
Jani "Hurtsi" Hurula - Drums (Cain's Offering)

I said band, it started as a project, but last night Anette mentioned in her live Facebook chat that they are looking at some live dates next year and possibly another album.

Five video's from the debut album are out officially;
The Ghost and the Reaper https://youtu.be/SZsuGtv3-co
My Sweet Mystery https://youtu.be/ZKd6GfzpvdY
Here's To You https://youtu.be/ogcFCxaSvAA
The Dark Element https://youtu.be/8tHdSv9TmdI
Dead To Me https://youtu.be/eidS1nyQB50

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: The Dark Element (Anette Olzen and Jani Liimatainen)

Postby LarryD » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:56 am

You beat me to it -- this was just released yesterday I believe, and it is fantastic !!! I thought Annette's previous solo disc was excellent, this surpasses it by far. Heavier, more aggressive, and more Nightwish-like on many songs. 2 or 3 songs could be pulled right from songs that didn't make it to a Nightwish disc that Annette sang on.....

Her voice is in top shape - she is rocking more - and these songs are just plain catchy, fun and epic at times....... it may be a bit too poppy for those who don't like that word (including me), but that's just the tone of the songs, not the heaviness. The ballads are beautiful, the Nightwish songs, the Annette songs, and the upbeat vibe just make you either headbang, toe tap, or sing along ........

This is superb in every way .... I've been searching for that female fronted disc that will kick start me again into that genre, and even though this isn't "goth", it's enough to want to bring me back to that genre and search even harder.

Lyrically, most of the disc deals with failed relationships - and in particular - lyrics that talk of a person not being "good enough" to be with someone else, and I hope that this isn't the case in real life. Some of the lyrics just scream sadness and begging for another chance ...... sad at times, just hopefully not autobiographical....... :cry:

Absolute first rate disc if you like that "pop" in your metal - but done in epic fashion ...... double thumbs up for this one ......

Nos

Postby Nos » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:39 am

Forgive me if my commentary is short, but I've already written plenty about this album in other places.

Add me to the chorus who are loving this one. I've been listening to it for a few weeks now, and it still sounds just as good as the first time. Anette sounds fantastic, and I appreciate that they didn't try to do anything outside the box, just for the sake of proving they could. Making a direct, super-catchy album is actually more impressive. This will be very high on my year-end list.

gazinwales

Postby gazinwales » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:21 am

Yes Jani mentions in the interview below that it was his intention to make the album 'poppy'.
https://youtu.be/9OnI6hHDxfk

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:50 pm

I'm seriously going to need to get this
Tarja is a female woman

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:02 pm

This is such a bad ass disc ........ fun, catchy, upbeat and headbanging all at the same time. I'm glad she found her niche ......her previous solo disc was excellent, but this one far exceeds it in every way. I know the female fronted bands have gone by the wayside around here, but this is a great way to get back into it........

Nos

Postby Nos » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:01 pm

LarryD wrote:This is such a bad ass disc ........ fun, catchy, upbeat and headbanging all at the same time. I'm glad she found her niche ......her previous solo disc was excellent, but this one far exceeds it in every way. I know the female fronted bands have gone by the wayside around here, but this is a great way to get back into it........

It's amazing when something like this comes along how it reminds you just how few bands/albums are actually fun these days, in the rock and metal scenes. I'm not saying you need to be fun to be good (my current #1 for the year isn't fun in the slightest), but it does seem to be a vast minority.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:44 pm

It's amazing when something like this comes along how it reminds you just how few bands/albums are actually fun these days, in the rock and metal scenes. I'm not saying you need to be fun to be good (my current #1 for the year isn't fun in the slightest), but it does seem to be a vast minority.

I think that is a cyclical thing, and we're just in a bit of a "down" period...... A lot of that stems from the cultural and political climate around the world, and frankly this just isn't a very "fun" time. Honestly, the mid-90s were much the same.... Lots of GREAT music to be found if you dug far enough, but very little I would consider "fun".

Not to worry. The wheel turns and ages come and go..... :)
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

gazinwales

Postby gazinwales » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:19 am

I've heard this a few times now and this is a seriously good record.
It's obvious that Jani put a hell of a lot of effort into the songwriting and arrangements.
Anette has done some amazing vocals and the rhythm section is very solid.

My fave songs, hard to pick but 'Dead To Me' just grabs me, it's fast and has some killer lyrics.
Almost as good the Japan only bonus track, is a spine tingling acoustic version of the same song.

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:54 am

I'm also really enjoying this. Great disc and Annette sounds real good as some of you have said. PRobably the best Nightwish disc in a long while. :mrgreen:
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

Return to “PM: Core”