DELAIN / A Decade - Live at Paradiso bluray.......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

DELAIN / A Decade - Live at Paradiso bluray.......

Postby LarryD » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:18 am

It's finally here ..... the 10th anniversary show of Delain released in bluray / dvd / 2-CD combo set. I'm a chump for dvd releases, so bare with me while I indulge. The show is obviously a big deal to the band, given the artwork and bluray packaging itself, which is quite artsy and upscale. They include a ton of pictures in a booklet along with the history, songs, guest list, and a whole lot of reading material as well. You also get a documentary, and some music videos included. The show itself was filmed at the Paradiso in Amsterdam in Dec 2016.

I have not been through the whole show yet - it's a long one. 23 songs in all ...... some of the guests include Alissa White-Gluz, Liv Kristine, Sander Zoer, Ron Van der Loo and many more along the way .... it's a pretty big extravaganza for this band. The Paradiso itself is a nice looking venue with an upper tier, and a very intimate setting. It's not a huge venue so it doesn't allow for a big light or stage show from what I've seen so far......

The set itself costs $26 -- and it appears to be the only version with the bluray / dvd / and 2-CDs included. I bought it blindly as a fan of the band but I imagine some will think the price is a bit steep for this band. Again -- I live for live concerts, so it was a no-brainer to me.

As for the quality of the bluray ..... the audio defaults to PCM and sounds fantastic. It's loud, extremely clear, and pretty punchy. There is a lot going on in this show, and the sound is captured superbly. The video is superb as well, although my ( 2 ) personal complaints come from here.... First and foremost, the show was filmed in "film mode" and not in video mode, giving it more of a filmed / documentary look rather than the "live, as if you are there" look ..... we have discussed this much in the past, so I won't go into the difference again, but I do prefer the "video" taping as it looks more "live" as if you're in the audience watching the show as it happened, rather than as a film documentary. I also understand that video is more costly as well. For a "filmed" look versus a "video" look, go check out Kamelot's "One Cold Winter's Night" and you will see the "film" look on that show .......

My second bitch is the camera work ...... granted, this is a big show, and they have lots of cameras. But they also that swirling camera that flies over the audience's heads and spins upside down and around while heading for the stage -- Kamelot uses this same camera style on their show, and for those of you who have Vertigo, or get sea sick easily, get your Dramamine or Bonine ready. I had to look away a few times to get my head to stop spinning ....... the camera work is fast, chaotic, and never stays on one performer enough to appreciate what he or she is doing ..... a minor bitch if you love the band, but I've read many reviews of other fans bitching about the same thing with other shows..... Kamelot being one of them.

Aside from my personal bitches -- the band sounds great, Charlotte looks and sounds wonderful, and if you are a fan of this band, it's a no-brainer to have this show in your collection .......

Here is a sample of what I'm talking about .............enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VShtIYflaMY

Rycher

Re: DELAIN / A Decade - Live at Paradiso bluray.......

Postby Rycher » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:27 pm

LarryD wrote: The set itself costs $26 -- and it appears to be the only version with the bluray / dvd / and 2-CDs included. I bought it blindly as a fan of the band but I imagine some will think the price is a bit steep for this band.

Depending on where you shop. I received the Laser's Edge email, which reminded me that this set finally came out. So I checked their price against Amazon and saw that it was $19.99 for the same blu-ray/DVD/CD set.. If you want to support your favorite vendor, that's fine. But it's available for much cheaper in other places. I even received 2-day shipping, despite not being a Prime member, since it was located in a warehouse close to my home.

I've only briefly scanned through the video, so I can't comment much on that. Looked fantastic thoguh. I have listened to the audio quite a bit and love it. I'm glad that they focused on a lot of newer material, which I actually prefer to a lot of the songs on Lucidity or April Rain.

ToddS
Site Admin

Re: DELAIN / A Decade - Live at Paradiso bluray.......

Postby ToddS » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:57 pm

Thanks for the review LD!

I'm mildly interested in this. Not a big fan, but do love live bluray shows. The price is prohibitive for us casual fans. I don't need all the extra discs, just give me the bluray damn it!

The spinning camera, and fast edits tend to ruin these shows for me as well. I'm going to pass on this one for now.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Return to “PM: Core”