DANIEL CAVANAUGH / Monochrome.......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

DANIEL CAVANAUGH / Monochrome.......

Postby LarryD » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:48 pm

One half of the Anathema frontmen puts out a solo disc. So indulge me here for a second ...... I am just a casual Anathema fan. On disc, it's hard for me to totally capture what this band does except for maybe Weather Systems, which I think is awesome. In a live setting, this is where the band captures me. Both recent bluray releases are stunning and wonderful. I wanted to be more of a fan, so when The Optomist came out, and in so many versions, I figured it had to be awesome. It failed to once again capture me.

Fast forward, and don't ask me why. Daniel Cavanaugh puts out a solo disc, and I buy it blindly without hearing a note or reading a review. I've played it through 3 times now - and not in my usual listening method with this sort of disc, with candles lit, wine in hand, and completely at one with the music. I can't wait to do that - because in one word, this disc is stunning. I'm asking myself why this wasn't released as an Anathema disc, or how could Daniel write something better that could be on a Anathema disc.....this is pretty intense, emotional, music. If it was a New Age artist, everyone would be probably trying to get into that genre. It's haunting, atmospheric, and definitely Anathema styled, but there is something deeper here - maybe it's more personal since Daniel wrote it himself ? Deeper from the heart ? Pain ? I'm not really sure, but this guy either has some serious issues that needed to be put into music, or he just knows how to pull out the emotions within the music itself to be able to move someone else. There aren't much vocals to it, it's more atmospheric music with "voices" from time to time ...... I'd say unless you are an Anathema fan, or a fan of New Age music in general, this disc would not do it for you ....... it's a mood disc - and if you're in the right (or wrong) mood, this is a very cool disc indeed to tap into that emotional side.....

Chris R

Re: DANIEL CAVANAUGH / Monochrome.......

Postby Chris R » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:57 pm

Hmmm

Reads Larry's post...noticed the words Anathema,NewAge,stunning,...

Blind buy the second I get home
Tarja is a female woman

outprogged42

Re: DANIEL CAVANAGH / Monochrome.......

Postby outprogged42 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:22 pm

I think this might be even better than The Optimist which I quite liked. It's stripped-down and somewhat post-rock ish, with "Soho" in particular heavily influenced by Sigur Ros. Its strengths lie in the immediacy of the vocal melodies (both Danny and Anneke's), stark lyrical minimalism, and sheer beauteousness of the atmosphere and the piano work. There's a profundity to this that lends itself well to poeticism (something I personally did in my off time for every song on the album).

It's raw and unfiltered the way that Anathema productions should be.

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:14 am

Can't find it on ITunes
Tarja is a female woman

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:29 am

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:04 pm

Chris R wrote:Can't find it on ITunes

If you learned how to spell you’d be able to find it.
Claus Jensen
managing director
Intromental Management

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:00 pm

Generally not a big Anathema fan. I like them in small doses, but I do like the DC song Glenn posted a link to. Will check further.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Return to “PM: Core”