SORCERER / The Crowning of the Fire King ........

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

SORCERER / The Crowning of the Fire King ........

Postby LarryD » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:17 pm

Well, Sorcerer is back with another gloomy, doomy, melodic disc .......yes, with Andy Engberg on vocals. The Great Andy Engberg I might add ........

I've owned one or two Sorcerer discs in my day, and I dismissed them as "ok" doomy metal but nothing special ..........I'm told their last disc " In the Shadow of the Inverted Cross" is excellent, but I only played one or two songs from it and didn't seem it as good as this one .........

"The Crowning of the Fire King" is like a band who is making their last disc .... and they want it to count. They call it "doom metal" but I call it slow, plodding, melodic metal..... it's not as heavy as say Candlemass, and it's not as plodding...... it's more like Black Sabbath / Headless Cross style gloom.........

Here, Andy Engberg says it's time to put up or shut up == and that they do ........check some songs here:

Well - here is the full disc :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNEYyJBDJqI

Check out the title track and following song Unbearable Sorrow ............

It's on Bandcamp here:
https://sorcererdoom.bandcamp.com/album ... -fire-king

Those of you who know Andy best from the legendary Twilight disc, or the Lions Share discs, will find him in top form here, and taking the music to another level.......
Another winner and another entry into the Top 10 list of 2017........

Sir Exar Kun

Re: SORCERER / The Crowning of the Fire King ........

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:10 pm

I had no idea Engberg was involved here. Definitely interested to hear this.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Nos

Postby Nos » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:16 pm

I talked about it on the other boards.

I love this album. I'm not a doom person either, but this isn't really doom in the normal sense. There is definitely that Tony Martin-era Sabbath feel to a lot of it, but I've been calling it 'slow power metal', since that's what it reminds me of. It's heavy without becoming too slow and plodding, the riffs and solos are memorable, and the vocals and melodies are fantastic. The production is great too, so there isn't anything to complain about, aside from maybe being better off without the sound effects. Even that's a minor quibble.

This will absolutely be high on my list of favorites for the year. I'm shocked I'm saying that.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:27 am

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:44 pm

Nos wrote:I talked about it on the other boards.

I love this album. I'm not a doom person either, but this isn't really doom in the normal sense. There is definitely that Tony Martin-era Sabbath feel to a lot of it, but I've been calling it 'slow power metal', since that's what it reminds me of. It's heavy without becoming too slow and plodding, the riffs and solos are memorable, and the vocals and melodies are fantastic. The production is great too, so there isn't anything to complain about, aside from maybe being better off without the sound effects. Even that's a minor quibble.

This will absolutely be high on my list of favorites for the year. I'm shocked I'm saying that.

I'm also not the biggest doom fan, but Sorcerer is a great band for me. This album is excellent all over, with the godly vocals of the most underrated singer in metal, Mr. Andy Engberg. The Black EP from 2016 and the 2015 album were also very good stuff.
Last edited by Guillaume on Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:36 pm

Not a huge Doom fan here, but I do like a bit of doom when its done this way. Not pure doom, and quite melodic. This is really good.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Return to “PM: Core”