The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Ordered from The Lasers Edge ......

Postby LarryD » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:43 am

....and it's light on the metal !!!!!! :shock:

DELAIN / A Decade of Delain - Bluray / dvd / 2-CD set
It's been 10 years of listening to this band. Finally, a concert from them. I know the genre is waning, and the interest in these types of bands is waning as well, but anytime any of these bands release a concert, I'm buying. Why ? Cause I'm a chump for live concerts, and it's Charlotte dammit !!!! Sure, the price is a little steep, but when this band is gone, and this show is out of print, you'd wish you'd had it to hear Charlotte sing in your living room once again ....... :wink:
In all honesty - I'm trying to revive the genre in my head, and in my house, and "maybe" going back out on the hunt and see what is left out there in the small jungle of good Goth and B&B. I'm not hopeful, but it might be fun.

DANIEL CAVANAUGH / Monochrome -
I am a casual Anathema fan. I like their bluray shows more than I like their full discs, except for maybe Weather Systems. I did not care for The Optomist, although honestly I just couldn't get through it all in full to make complete judgement, so I may revisit that in the same way I'm going to visit Daniel's solo disc. I have not heard a note, I went by the reviews I've read of this, and bought it blind. No lights (Ken you dog), candle, wine. I can't wait to see what happens. If this knocks my socks off, I'll do the same for The Optomist, although true fans of that band (that I know personally) aren't spooging over it either, so I'm not hopeful.

CHRISTINA BOOTH / The Light -
For those who don't know her, Christina is the front woman for the excellent Prog Rock band Magenta. She has a unique and sultry voice - to my ears, almost like a Stevie Nicks type tone and fast vibrato, which some of you may not care for. Christina recently survived breast cancer, and released this solo disc as a result from what I'm reading. After hearing 2 songs on You Tube, I'm in. It's beautiful, mesmerizing, soul touching music. Again - break out the candles and wine, and turn off he lights.

BEATRIX PLAYERS / Magnified -
Ok, so what's all of this female / non-metal / candles lit / lights out stuff going on here ? Well, that's easy and complicated to answer. The easy part is this ..... a long time ago, in a far away galaxy, Ken Golden got me into a singer named Loreena McKennitt. If you don't know her - look her up, or not. Ever since then, Ken has been turning me on to that style singer and disc, and every now and then I grab one but to be as good as Loreena is a tough one. Ken has managed to find some of the better "mood" and emotional singers for me, and Beatrix Players is that next one. This is a trio of females from London I believe, and they play violins and cellos to get their point across along with angelic vocals. Rather than keep trying to describe this, check it out here:

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/magnified

If you're bored with this style of music, or don't care to read this wussy stuff, I'll be posting on the new Sorcerer and the latest Vanish disc, and we can get back to the metal....... :P

Nos

Re: Ordered from The Lasers Edge ......

Postby Nos » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:08 pm

LarryD wrote:
Ok, so what's all of this female / non-metal / candles lit / lights out stuff going on here ? Well, that's easy and complicated to answer. The easy part is this ..... a long time ago, in a far away galaxy, Ken Golden got me into a singer named Loreena McKennitt. If you don't know her - look her up, or not. Ever since then, Ken has been turning me on to that style singer and disc, and every now and then I grab one but to be as good as Loreena is a tough one. Ken has managed to find some of the better "mood" and emotional singers for me, and Beatrix Players is that next one. This is a trio of females from London I believe, and they play violins and cellos to get their point across along with angelic vocals. Rather than keep trying to describe this, check it out here:

I heard about this one before it came out. For whatever reason, I was on the list of their PR people. It's not my style of music, but you described it well. It's very good for what it is. Maybe now that the weather is getting darker and grayer I'll have reason to give it another go.

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Ordered from The Lasers Edge ......

Postby LarryD » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:28 am

I heard about this one before it came out. For whatever reason, I was on the list of their PR people. It's not my style of music, but you described it well. It's very good for what it is. Maybe now that the weather is getting darker and grayer I'll have reason to give it another go.

[/quote]

*** Discs like this are definitely what I call "mood" discs. I've been into this style ever since Ken Golden got me into Loreena McKennitt many, many years ago ..... while no one has been able to surpass what Loreena does in her particular style, there are many great female solo singers out there that are wonderful in their own right that play and sing that style of music. In Loreena's case, I'd call it Mystical Celtic New Age Folk music ....... when I saw this band with the females playing cellos and violins, and heard that song, I was in immediately. I don't think I could take a disc like this with me in the car - discs like these (to me) were made for specific listening in a darkened room with your favorite drink - other half - and blocking out all else except the musicians and music being in the same room with you at that moment. If you have a good sound system, it makes it all the better. There is nothing better than thinking that the musicians are right in the room with you playing their music for you. And discs like these are perfect for that.......

Return to “PM: Core”