Jono - “Life” - great vocalist

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

venidominefan

Jono - “Life” - great vocalist

Postby venidominefan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:00 pm

I saw a comment that the vocalist has some Midnight similarities and I agree. I also hear some Dio-esque phrasing and even some Freddie Mercury on the earlier Jono albums on Spotify.

If the whole new album “Life” is like this track should be a promising release.

https://youtu.be/tf4dQonWuIM?list=RDtf4dQonWuIM
This is your brain on guitar... :lol:
Bandcamp >
CDBaby >
Soundcloud >

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Jono - “Life” - great vocalist

Postby LarryD » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:15 am

That was pretty bad ass........ Going to,check out his earlier stuff, thanks !!!!

venidominefan

Postby venidominefan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:00 pm

Another track from the album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_4aeWBFd4A
This is your brain on guitar... :lol:
Bandcamp >
CDBaby >
Soundcloud >

elendil

Postby elendil » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:11 am

Pretty fun stuff!

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:56 pm

As a vocal snob and overall picky bastard I have to say the two songs I heard I wasnt impressed. Sure he has nice vibrato and dramatic delivery but thats it. Feels like he should be doing Rogers and Hammerstein stuff. Hes a decent enough vocalist, just not a good match to the music IMO.

Nos

Postby Nos » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:39 pm

So I just listened to this album this morning. I have to say, while he's a very good singer, good grief is the music boring. It's sort of like "Streets" or "Gutter Ballet" era Savatage, but without any of the grit, intensity, or great songs. The whole thing is basically his voice and nothing else. The songs are so limp and devoid of melody.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:39 pm

Nos wrote:So I just listened to this album this morning. I have to say, while he's a very good singer, good grief is the music boring. It's sort of like "Streets" or "Gutter Ballet" era Savatage, but without any of the grit, intensity, or great songs. The whole thing is basically his voice and nothing else. The songs are so limp and devoid of melody.

I love that you always have an opinion on music, and whether it’s right or wrong is irrelevant. That people don’t agree with you isn’t something you should care about and while I don’t always agree with your comments I would rather read what you think than what the “sheep” says.

Anyway, I really disagree with you on this one haha - I think that your opinion that the songs are “limp and devoid of melody” is your opinion and that’s fine, however that it sounds like Savatage to you shows a bit about your limited knowledge of music history. This is not a metal band at all; this is a band drawing upon the sound of bands such as Queen, ABBA, The Sparks and even Supertramp. It’s pomp rock. Now, those bands might actually also have inspired Savatage but that’s a different story.

Okay, so I’ve only heard the three singles from the new Jono album but they don’t sound different from his (yeah it’s kind of a solo project, thus the big focus on the vocals) previous albums which I personally think are some of the best pomp rock albums of recent years.

That said, keep up the good work at commenting on new releases - I really do enjoy your comments.
Claus Jensen
managing director
Intromental Management

Nos

Postby Nos » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:19 pm

introclaus wrote:Anyway, I really disagree with you on this one haha - I think that your opinion that the songs are “limp and devoid of melody” is your opinion and that’s fine, however that it sounds like Savatage to you shows a bit about your limited knowledge of music history. This is not a metal band at all; this is a band drawing upon the sound of bands such as Queen, ABBA, The Sparks and even Supertramp. It’s pomp rock. Now, those bands might actually also have inspired Savatage but that’s a different story.

I went with Savatage as a comparison because as much pomp rock as there is in the music, I hear just as much bad dinner theater Broadway.

Return to “PM: Core”