New Threshold

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

EmptyThoughts

New Threshold

Postby EmptyThoughts » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:01 am

I can't believe there hasn't been more chatter on this double album. For me personally, this is the best album they've done in a long time. The sound is definitely Threshold, but I really enjoyed that in certain songs like "Stars and Satellites" they've incorporated a different stylistic approach to their songwriting. In hearing the above mentioned track, I get a Rush "Limelight" vibe. To my ears, it's definitely the most varied and Progressive album in their career (but I might be wrong). The star in this album is definitely Glynn Morgan. I wasn't too sure what to expect, but he did an amazing job.

It's been a great year for Prog bands (not named) DT, IMO...

An amazing album(s) :D

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: New Threshold

Postby LarryD » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:31 am

Unless you mean recent posts - there are two lengthy ones down the board a ways .............

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10749

That's the review Matt put up which is the one I'm using ......... the original Glynn Morgan thread is here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10620

But I know you already know that --- it's been awhile since anyone talked about the disc ........... For me, it is not in rotation right now. If I have to struggle to love a Threshold disc, it's not going to work. Maybe I'll come back to it -- but I took it to work with me for a week after everyone called me crazy for not loving it..... and I'm the guy who absolutely loves concept discs, and always wanted one from Threshold.

To be honest - I can't recall a single song from the disc. At least no epic song. Like Symphony X, Vanden Plas, and many others - I expect pure monsters from anything they release at this stage of the game. It's probably not fair to think like that, but a good example is PoS. People will say " well it's a good disc - might not be The Perfect Element, or this or that, but it's better than Scarsick." They are already using a lower standard to compare to. I don't want that from the bands I love ......

Call me crazy again - but for me, "For the Journey" is a much better disc ....... it's got that "majestic" feel to it that I love from Threshold ........

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:45 pm

This one is really clicking with me. I don't see how you wouldn't recall Small Dark Lines. This song big time sticks in my head.
Güy

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:13 pm

Digital Man wrote:This one is really clicking with me. I don't see how you wouldn't recall Small Dark Lines. This song big time sticks in my head.

*** its the only song that I like a lot but after in play the discs thru, nothing stays in my head after that...... Funny you say,this, I,took it with me to work with me,today hoping for a fresh listen after laying it down for some time...... A,few songs in I found myself hitting the FF button again just as I did initially...... I'm realizing that this is not going to be for me.......

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:43 pm

So far, this is in real contention for AOTY - sublime and mesmerising.
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: http://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:53 pm

Thanks for bumping this thread..... I meant to add some comments to one of the Threshold threads earlier and completely forgot.

After a few rotations, I am now REALLY sold on this album. What I love most about it is that I continue to hear different influences from different eras of their career throughout the disc. A few songs (Snowblind notably, also the second 10+ minute track which currently eludes me) hearken back to the "early" years (Extinct Instinct in this case), some songs really cry out from the earlier Mac discs (Stars and Satellites), some remind me of the latter Mac era like Dead Reckoning (Small Dark Lines), and some just are SO distinctly Threshold that it transcends the eras (Man Who Saw Through Time).

Honestly, my only criticism is that there are a couple of songs that could have been trimmed to make this a PERFECT 75 minute album. The last song on disc one for example, plus the repeats of the "Shire" theme, could have trimmed a bit down and made this a more memorable disc.

It really wasn't until my third listen that the disc came together for me. Bits jumped out right away (Small Dark Lines, Snowblind) but the rest of the album took a few go-throughs before it really hit.

Agreed that this is a best-of-the-year candidate.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:41 pm

EmptyThoughts wrote:I can't believe there hasn't been more chatter on this double album. For me personally, this is the best album they've done in a long time. The sound is definitely Threshold, but I really enjoyed that in certain songs like "Stars and Satellites" they've incorporated a different stylistic approach to their songwriting. In hearing the above mentioned track, I get a Rush "Limelight" vibe.

I picked up some Journey vibes from that song which isn't something I commonly hear from Threshold. Then again Glynn has sounded slightly like Steve Perry in general.

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:08 pm

Great album! Larry?
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:34 pm

GaetanL wrote:Great album! Larry?

***It's not doing it for me for some reason Gaetan ........ I've tried so many times to get on board with this disc, but I find myself struggling through it each time. Something is missing for me - I can't put my finger on it. I think I'm just going to have to write this one off ...........

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:17 pm

Perhaps this will stop the thread in its tracks, but Threshold are FINALLY returning to the USA at RoSFest 2018.

http://rosfest.com/threshold-signed-for-rosfest-2018

I live all the way down in Houston and this is the only band that could appear there that might get me to come all by themselves. Although I'm still not sure given that I only even recognize two other names (District 97 and PFM) and funds will be tight from frequent traveling, NO band has the significance to me in winter 2017 that Threshold does.

progdavid

Postby progdavid » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:41 am

the choice of replacing wilson was really good, morgan delivers a super performance on it and the album is the best one since subsurface imho

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:52 am

progdavid wrote:the choice of replacing wilson was really good, morgan delivers a super performance on it and the album is the best one since subsurface imho

I'd go back to Clone, it's that good. I'll see how it sits in a year or two but it might actually be their best ever.

#1 for 2017!!
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

Return to “PM: Core”