PM: Continuum FB Group

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

~D

PM: Continuum FB Group

Postby ~D » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:30 pm

Hello Friends,

FYI there is a new FB Group for PM family... it is cool for sharing YouTubes, etc.. all are welcome to participate. I think this link will work.. if not, PM me.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1869963 ... source_id=

~D

GaetanL

Re: PM: Continuum FB Group

Postby GaetanL » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:58 pm

First, thanks so much for this PM board.

For the facebook version, sorry I don't like the idea.

1) Had a facebook account in the past and I don't want to re-create one
2) Even if the PM facebook version was accessible for everyone in read only, I will have to follow two discussion groups to don't miss anything. I will not be able to reply in the facebook version
3) Right now I will miss some information because the PM facebook version is only accessible with a facebook account
4) It's better to have all the info in one place
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:03 pm

I don't care for the Facebook thing either. I'd rather just stick to this forum. Works well for me.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

~D

Postby ~D » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:33 pm

Thanks for the input, guys. It doesn't replace or compete with the Original PM here. It is just a place for FB users who are logged in on their phones, etc. to share some music or a short opinion or so. It is part of the PM: Continuum FB page, which has been around for years. Its an add on Group to that.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:39 pm

D-man .....

Is there any way to make that a read-only site as well ? I am not a user or a fan of Facebook ....... but I wouldn't mind reading some thoughts on music from my phone from time to time ....... I pretty much mirror Todd on the Facebook thing, but I would certainly read up if I could access it ?

FataMorgana

Postby FataMorgana » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:06 pm

Howdy all! Unfortunately, you cannot access Facebook groups without being logged in to an account.

It would be great to see y'all on Facebook though!! 8)

Stacy

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:41 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's anti-Facebook around here, lol. That's usually a very isolating stance to hold.

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:52 pm

Mardoch wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one who's anti-Facebook around here, lol. That's usually a very isolating stance to hold.

+1

I feel my close friends are not really interested to hear what I think of facebook... They have a facebook account...
Gaétan

BC

Postby BC » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:19 pm

You guys just don’t want to join because I’m an admin there, right? :lol:
Is a song titled "Everybody Dies" supposed to sound so happy?
Doom, gloom, the World goes boom! None will be spared, so don't assume. Not ragged clothed nor silver spooned. You're all the same when extinction looms!

Scott B

Postby Scott B » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:15 am

Well, I'm going to have to go against the tide, as usual. I think it's about time PM had a FB place. The number of people I've seen post there who were part of the "golden age", and whom I have not seen post on either PM board is quite astounding. Lots of classic albums being brought to the light again, and I will be dirtying the place up with new and obscure stuff very soon.

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:31 am

Scott B wrote:Well, I'm going to have to go against the tide, as usual. I think it's about time PM had a FB place. The number of people I've seen post there who were part of the "golden age", and whom I have not seen post on either PM board is quite astounding. Lots of classic albums being brought to the light again, and I will be dirtying the place up with new and obscure stuff very soon.

This
Tarja is a female woman

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:31 pm

Scott B wrote:I think it's about time PM had a FB place. The number of people I've seen post there who were part of the "golden age", and whom I have not seen post on either PM board is quite astounding.

I'm sad to hear that the PM facebook version already exists and that some good people have make the move and are no longer here which is causing in a way a deterioration of this forum.
Gaétan

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:35 pm

I hope you guys who are not on Facebook don't give up on this place......,I may be a dinosaur, and pbpbb boards might be archaic, but I will keep the door open as long as I possibly can ........ I don't plan on going anywhere soon........ I do realize,that not being on Facebook is being a dinosaur as well, but then again I,still buy CDs............ :D

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:39 pm

LarryD wrote:I do realize,that not being on Facebook is being a dinosaur as well

NOT TRUE!
Gaétan

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:58 pm

GaetanL wrote:
LarryD wrote:I do realize,that not being on Facebook is being a dinosaur as well

NOT TRUE!

*** I'm only saying that because I've been told that Gaetan...... :wink:

LASERCD

Postby LASERCD » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:05 pm

I have to admit that D's FB group is a lot of fun. I'm seeing a lot of old PM names turning up talking about all the music that built this forum and its predecessor. Even Stevie Wonder is there.

Truth is forums are essentially dying. My Laser's Edge forum is on life support, This one maybe has a little bit more of a pulse but only just a little bit.

Its not painful to join Facebook. You don't have to submit a profile. You don't have to add "friends". You can basically lurk but it allows you to read. You can waste a lot of time there but it does allow you to connect with people if you want to.

Just sayin'

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:47 pm

To start with, I don't like the idea of being the product of a company (facebook).
Everybody have its own interpretation of song lyrics. When I read the following lyrics in the song "Into The Great Nothing" by Wolverine (album "Communication Lost"), I think about facebook:
"I sell my soul again"
"I sell myself and die"

I feel free here. I hope one day that the people who left for the PM facebook group will come back here and say like at the end of the movie "The Wizard Of Ozz":
"There's no place like home."
Gaétan

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:49 pm

LarryD wrote:I hope you guys who are not on Facebook don't give up on this place......,I may be a dinosaur, and pbpbb boards might be archaic, but I will keep the door open as long as I possibly can ........ I don't plan on going anywhere soon........ I do realize,that not being on Facebook is being a dinosaur as well, but then again I,still buy CDs............ :D

When you don't want to hold the bag anymore let me know. I'll pick it up.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:52 pm

GaetanL wrote:To start with, I don't like the idea of being the product of a company (facebook).
Everybody have its own interpretation of song lyrics. When I read the following lyrics in the song "Into The Great Nothing" by Wolverine (album "Communication Lost"), I think about facebook:
"I sell my soul again"
"I sell myself and die"

I feel free here. I hope one day that the people who left for the PM facebook group will come back here and say like at the end of the movie "The Wizard Of Ozz":
"There's no place like home."

Yep yep yep.

I hate it enough already when I have to go to FB to get info on a band or event. I'm not going to live in their captive portal. Facebook is just AoL's captive portal for the new ages. People seem happy to ignore that. They also seem, paradoxically, happy to ignore that studies almost universally show that Facebook makes you miserable.

~D

Postby ~D » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:42 pm

For those who want to check it out but don't do FB... I am not sure how best to be anonymous or use a nic on FB... you could always get a gmail account and use a pseudonym. You would have to add someone from the group as an FB Friend and get added to the group... which means you would have to contact that person probably on FB Messenger (which is really invasive of your contacts etc).

FB doesn't allow for very big posts.. I think it has a character limit of 60k and lots of people are on mobile devices with tiny keyboards so don't expect a lot of big reviews there. So, it is really an adjunct for the community mainly for people who are already farting around on FB. I don't use my computer much myself.. either tablet or phone.. so it is fun for just sharing a song with a blurb or sharing a quick thought.

I was so surprised to see so many people using it already... we have been sharing some of the classics from the 1997-2003 time period mostly and it has been a blast so far. Definitely keep this place going.. it can never compete with the great reviews and stored history here.

Yes, it seems the whole world is dumbed down and moved to shorter conversations on Social Media. That isn't always a good thing.. it is nice that people sit down at their keyboards and input all this stuff here on this platform. If this board community was to move to a more robust social platform I would imagine may Reddit or something where the kind of in-depth discussions, reviews, and interaction can happen. There may be better solutions like wordpress/blog type platforms.. But, if it ain't broke don't fix it! So much info here. I'd put it to a vote before considering replacing this. LarryD if you want to discuss or need help with anything msg me.. I will be better about checking my messages!

If you can join the fun on Continuum, come on over. I am trying to keep the group small and mainly for this community and nostalgia.. as well as new stuff.

All the best,
~D

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:21 pm

For public facebook pages, not so long ago they were forcing us to log on to facebook to see the content of the page (it was not the case before). I've found a Firefox addon to block this log in window. It works fine. But it seems that this addon is no longer needed. I've checked with another browser without the addon and right now when I visit a public facebook page, I can read the content without login in. I visit some public facebook pages in read-only for example for upcoming shows in my city. I have no choices, some independent domains no longer exists or are unfortunately poorly updated. I guess it's cheaper to have the info on facebook.

But for the facebook groups, like Stacy and D said, login to facebook is mandatory. The Firefox addon won't change anything.
Last edited by GaetanL on Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gaétan

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:05 pm

Why is Facebook a better option than this forum? It just seems messy and hard to find what I'm looking for there.

Is it just a convienence for people that prefer using Facebook to follow everything they are interested in?

Scott B

Postby Scott B » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:48 am

GaetanL wrote:I'm sad to hear that the PM facebook version already exists and that some good people have make the move and are no longer here which is causing in a way a deterioration of this forum.

Gaetan,

It's not about people who left here to go to FB. It's about people who left the PM boards long, long ago and have now found the PM FB group. My use of FB is probably 90% music-related. I would not be able to keep up with all the bands I like otherwise, and I would not have found many of the bands I have now found indispensable were it not for someone mentioning it on FB. Sure, there can be a lot of drama and b.s., but that is optional. As a tool for keeping up with bands (and whatever other interests you might have), it really can't be beat.

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:23 pm

Scott B wrote:As a tool for keeping up with bands (and whatever other interests you might have), it really can't be beat.

I agree that this is a very powerful tool...

I prefer go searching the info I need than to be connected and having the info automatically sent to me. I like watch a movie, listen to an album, go to a concert, etc. without being disturbed by info.

Just with this great forum, I don't have time to check every bands discussed here. I have on files discussions I have saved for example about neo-prog. I already have info for a couple of years ahead!

I never had an issue with facebook the time I had an account. But trust me, I truly understand the risk of it. This is too deep stuff for me to talk about it here.

In a scale from 0 to 10. 0 being the less risky and 10 being the most risky:

Buying stuff online with your credit card (I do it almost everyday): 1
Having a fully filled facebook account with a lot of facebook "friends": 10
Gaétan

BumZen

Postby BumZen » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:57 pm

I certainly don't hope or think the FB group is meant to replace the forums. They are easily spammed with youtube links, and discussions get lost in there. I think most people realise this, which is why I have no fear of the death of the forums. That would be a damn shame.
Skambamse

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:39 pm

I've been having a lot of fun with the FB group. I can't believe how many old PMers we haven't heard from in years are on there. I don't think it will ever replace the PM forums, just complement them. I resisted FB for a long time, partially because I didn't understand how it works. I eventually gave in and joined just to try it out. Now I really like it. I keep my friends list small and quit following anyone that says things I don't want to read. There are tons of controls on FB now that you can use to really control just about everything. There is no harm in creating a dummy account you only use for what you want.
Güy

LASERCD

Postby LASERCD » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:53 pm

Digital Man wrote:I've been having a lot of fun with the FB group. I can't believe how many old PMers we haven't heard from in years are on there. I don't think it will ever replace the PM forums, just complement them. I resisted FB for a long time, partially because I didn't understand how it works. I eventually gave in and joined just to try it out. Now I really like it. I keep my friends list small and quit following anyone that says things I don't want to read. There are tons of controls on FB now that you can use to really control just about everything. There is no harm in creating a dummy account you only use for what you want.

For some reason guys like Larry and Todd think creating a Facebook account will give you genital warts.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:36 pm

I've been having a lot of fun with the FB group. I can't believe how many old PMers we haven't heard from in years are on there. I don't think it will ever replace the PM forums, just complement them. I resisted FB for a long time, partially because I didn't understand how it works. I eventually gave in and joined just to try it out. Now I really like it. I keep my friends list small and quit following anyone that says things I don't want to read. There are tons of controls on FB now that you can use to really control just about everything. There is no harm in creating a dummy account you only use for what you want.

Agreed! Very impressed with the amount of traffic it has gotten this week. Will be nice to see it transition to talking about newer material a little more, rather than re-living 1997 over and over.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:33 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:

Agreed! Very impressed with the amount of traffic it has gotten this week. Will be nice to see it transition to talking about newer material a little more, rather than re-living 1997 over and over.

***That's part of my point -- we can go down memory lane right here .......... but for new music, here is where it is at .......... I can do old and new right here and have fun at it ...... don't need to be on FB to do that ........... but to each his own. We will keep on pushing the new music as it comes in .........

Harvester

Postby Harvester » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:36 am

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:30 pm

LASERCD wrote:For some reason guys like Larry and Todd think creating a Facebook account will give you genital warts.

It doesn't?

LASERCD

Postby LASERCD » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:33 pm

ToddS wrote:
LASERCD wrote:For some reason guys like Larry and Todd think creating a Facebook account will give you genital warts.

It doesn't?

Its possible it does but if all your friends have them I wouldn't worry about it too much. Besides you are done having kids.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:27 pm

Harvester wrote:Image

I'm only in my low 30s, thank you very much!

But yeah no, I don't care how great the reminiscing is I'm good without FB. I have no desire to participate in the surveillance economy. I'm getting close to kicking Google's sorry ass to the curb, too. Their products are pretty much all trash anyway.

That's the end of my ranting though. You guys don't need my screeds on this topic too, lol.

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:03 pm

Mardoch wrote:I'm getting close to kicking Google's sorry ass to the curb, too. Their products are pretty much all trash anyway.

I wouldn't say that all their products is trash. For example google map and the search engine are great tools. But this everything free business model also have ethical issues. Since I know Google are scanning the emails (gmail), to me this is going too far. I have this selling my soul feeling like facebook. I don't have a gmail account but when I write a personal email to a gmail address, I don't like this feeling. Youtube (own by Google) also have ethical issues. But I'm using it, so maybe I'm not the right person to criticize them. They let anyone upload almost anything like copyrighted material. When I like it I buy the real thing but many people don't. I wonder if youtube is destroying my music world or helping it? I have paid astronomical prices for example for out of print IQ concerts on DVD...
Gaétan

Return to “PM: Core”