The Contortionist - Clairvoyant

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Mardoch

The Contortionist - Clairvoyant

Postby Mardoch » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:27 pm

I know that this band has been outside of the norm for this crowd, but this album should be right up quite a few of your alleys. Hugely emotive, technical, deep and layered, ambient, just beautiful and touching stuff while still showcasing lots of chops.

Two excellent samples of the album (with videos that actually mean something, no less!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJu3-qGap_k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAfAxmhWmcQ

Curious if it makes the connection with anyone else. I know Glenn had a similarly strong reaction to mine so that might help sell it?

outprogged42

Re: The Contortionist - Clairvoyant

Postby outprogged42 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:51 pm

I loved their previous album. This one is good but it is very difficult to get into due to the extreme subtlety of the style and the very low-key and usually indiscernible vocals. I like it but it definitely is a step down for me.

Speaking of outside of the norm, I wonder if they'd ever get a PP invite.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:04 am

Language was definitely the more immediate album for me as well. It was more energetic, which I liked. But there's a lot of haunting beauty on this disc that would be eating my ears up a lot more if I weren't so hooked on the new Caligula's Horse.

Not sure if they quite fit into PP, but if they were invited I think they'd win a lot of fans.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:20 pm

I'm not very familiar with this band, but this one is pretty interesting. A lot of atmosphere with those heavier moments kicking in.

I know they are on tour right now with Between the Buried and Me. 4 bands on the bill, and I don't need to see Colors again, but it is a Saturday night in New Orleans. Btw - Doug Logan loves this and is begging me to take him.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:56 pm

ToddS wrote:I'm not very familiar with this band, but this one is pretty interesting. A lot of atmosphere with those heavier moments kicking in.

I know they are on tour right now with Between the Buried and Me. 4 bands on the bill, and I don't need to see Colors again, but it is a Saturday night in New Orleans. Btw - Doug Logan loves this and is begging me to take him.

Do it! I'm still considering that tour myself. I'd really like to see Polyphia (even though their last EP is trash imo). I'm not sure I'll be open on the 14th though, things are a bit weird for us at home right now.

I agree about needing to see Colors again. I saw them on tour for that album, then witnessed the whole thing at PPUSA. It was amazing, but still not my favorite stuff.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:35 pm

Mardoch wrote:
ToddS wrote:I'm not very familiar with this band, but this one is pretty interesting. A lot of atmosphere with those heavier moments kicking in.

Do it! I'm still considering that tour myself. I'd really like to see Polyphia (even though their last EP is trash imo). I'm not sure I'll be open on the 14th though, things are a bit weird for us at home right now.

I agree about needing to see Colors again. I saw them on tour for that album, then witnessed the whole thing at PPUSA. It was amazing, but still not my favorite stuff.

I just may. I wanted to hear songs from Coma Ecliptic so bad, that it was a crushing blow to learn it wasn't going to happen at PP. Amazing playing but Colors is far too brutal and a bit too chaotic for me.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:32 am

Agreed. I would show up in a heartbeat for a full Coma Ecliptic show, though.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:06 pm

So we made this show, walked up to buy tickets and got 2 free someone had returned. Talk about perfect timing. :D

The Contortionist are dead on live. Really not much not much more to say, other than I wish they would have played longer. Just a 35-40 minute set. This is one thing I hate about a 4 band bill. They were 3rd up.

Caught 1 song from opener Toothgrinder, which was plenty.

Polyphia are quite exceptional musicians. I enjoyed their set of jazz metal fusion. Another short 30 min set.

Watched 2-3 song from BtBam and dreamed of Coma Ecliptic. Sigh.

Return to “PM: Core”