Threshold 'Legends Of The Shires' - full review

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Man Of Much Metal

Threshold 'Legends Of The Shires' - full review

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi All,

Me again. I'm told over & again by you fine people not to apologise for posting links to my reviews, so I won't! I know it's out already & so this might not be too helpful but it might be of interest to some.

https://manofmuchmetal.com/2017/09/07/t ... um-review/

Cheers,

Matt
www.manofmuchmetal.com
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: http://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Threshold 'Legends Of The Shires' - full review

Postby LarryD » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:25 pm

Matt -

That was an excellent review ....... I agreed with most of it, and disagreed with some of it ....... it will be interesting to see what others think when we finally get the disc and hear it through many times. So far, from what I'm hearing, "most" of the Threshold fans seem to take a liking to this disc..... still, others aren't so convinced yet, but it's early in the game. This should make for quite a discussion around here, as there are tons of Threshold fans here, and some from day one (yours truly included).

I've only heard disc 1 once - and I have to admit that I am not floored as I'd hoped to be. Of course, I will have many thought changes as I come to know this disc, but I initial thoughts are that Glynn Morgan sounds great, the production sounds great, but I did not hear the "epic" that you did......I heard some great songs, good songs, and not so good songs. I am hoping that this all changes when I get the whole actual 2-disc and can dissect it properly.

For the record, I was one of those that loved the last two with Damian ....... and my least favorites are Dead Reckoning and Subsurface. Psychdelicatessan, probably my favorite, is like a ghost coming back to haunt me with Glynn on vocals, so that's one up for me .......... more to come as we go along this great journey of Threshold.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:11 am

Great review! I will need to go back and re-read the song by song commentaries a little more closely once I have listened to the full album; I just got through most of the first disc on my way in this morning.

My thoughts so far: this is 100% Threshold. No more, no less. The songs are unmistakable, even with Glynn coming back into the fold. To my ears, Glynn sounds more restrained than he did on "Physchedeli" (but, to be fair, who doesn't after 20 years?!?), but works perfectly within the confines of the songs here.

My single biggest takeaway so far is this: when I listen to this album, I hear all three voices of Threshold in almost every single song. It's tragic that they will never have the opportunity to have Damian, Mac, and Glynn on all one album, because in my mind that is exactly what I hear with this disc. One line sounds as if it was written for Damian, while the next sounds just like something Mac would sing. Having all three voices together for this would have been utterly magical.

I'm a die-hard Threshold fan boy, since the first day I heard "Wounded Land" (Sanity's End, to be specific, and I can tell you I was sitting in the Toys R Us parking lot in Novi MI waiting to go in to work that day..... Funny how certain songs permanently imprint that very first time you hear it!). There has never been a Threshold album that I did not care for. Subsurface is probably my least favorite, but even that is just nitpicking. I have no doubt "Shire" will fill all my expectations, but I also don't expect it to move into the top slot either. Threshold can keep churning these albums out, and I'll keep lapping it up.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

dspot

Postby dspot » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:19 pm

Great review and I'm with you 100% here. As a Threshold fanboy who loves all of their albums and singers, this is their best effort. The combination of their melodies, smooth arrangements with Glynn's aggressive delivery has created a new feel to their music. Both Mac and Damian vocal delivery fell more in place with the music IMHO, where Glynn stands out, and to me, creates a wonderful contrast. This has been non-stop in my player

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:24 pm

I don't post often lately cause I have a new job keeping me real busy but this one needs to be talked about.

I'll be blunt: This is probably their best since Clone. Morgan brings back some aggressiveness in the singing and the happy sing-along songs are kept to a minimum which is good from my point of view.

Besides the intro, the opener "Small Dark Lines" is an awesome headbanging song. That riff is so addictive, I don't get tired of it and it sounds heavy while still maintaining a strong melody. I won't describe the whole disc but this one deserves some hyping. The rest of the disc has got a few mellow moments that may let down some fans as I've heard but not me.

I hear a mix of Extinct Instinct, Psych and of course the last few discs which I didn't care for. But for some reason, probably Morgan, it works this time around. I've always said he was the best singer for them and he proves it once again, he just has a smoother delivery nowadays.

Thresold has brought me back into the fold. I want them back at PP and my fanboy dream would be that they'd play Psych from beginning to end. That would be simply amazing for me!!
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:11 pm

Now that I'm through the whole thing, the second disc really brought the love for me! It was stronger right out of the gate, and "Snowblind" in particular REALLY harkened back to the original few albums.

After hearing the whole album, I am appreciating the love it is getting a little more. Had they edited out one or two songs, this could be a near-perfect album. As it is, still spectacular.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:22 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind comments about the review, even if the agreement with my thoughts was not universal across the board. But that's what I like, the fact that we can discuss something coherently, rationally and thoughtfully.

And I still love this disc. I'm not sure that anything will beat it this year to be honest, but I hope a few more things push it close!

Thanks again!
Matt

The Man of Much Metal

The Blog Of Much Metal: http://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:41 am

I've spent every minute with this disc since getting it from The Lasers Edge ..... I was hoping that the whole package might change my mind on my initial thoughts. It has not...... I spend more time waiting for the "greatness" than I do listening and enjoying the music. Glynn Morgan is the focal point here - he sounds awesome. The music is quality Threshold, but the problem is that they did not out-do themselves here. It's a Threshold disc - but it's one that I don't see myself reaching for any more than I would Critical Mass, Hypothetical, or Psychedelicatessan ........ This is a good disc, it's not epic, it's not over the top, it's just good quality Threshold ........ I think "For the Journey" floated my boat more, and it has nothing to do with the singer........

Manuel Cedeno

Postby Manuel Cedeno » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:18 am

Thanks for the great review. I have enjoyed the album and it is far superior than their last few efforts but I believe the double disc running time has diluted its quality. I found myself skipping some tunes that did nothing for me. Maybe those "fillers" will grow on me like they did with you, but after about 5 listens I'm not quite there yet. Had this been a standard album (8 to 10 tracks) it could be on or near my top 10 this year but those filler tracks take me out of it. But the good stuff will keep me going back. There's about 5 tracks that will get a lot of play from me for a while.

I'm with Stevie here; I'm excited about Threshold again and would love to see them back at PP. I love me some Glynn Morgan and he sounds amazing here. "Small Dark Lines" is probably their catchier song to date.

Return to “PM: Core”