The best album of the 10s candidate (2010-2019)

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

GaetanL

The best album of the 10s candidate (2010-2019)

Postby GaetanL » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:48 pm

So far, I have to go with Wolverine - "Communication Lost" (2011)
Very close is IQ - "The Road Of Bones" (2014), the music is as good, but for the connection with the lyrics, I have to go with Wolverine - CL.
Only 2 years and 4 months before 2020... Time flies...
Last edited by GaetanL on Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Nos

Re: The best album of the 10s candidate (2010-2019)

Postby Nos » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:44 am

My favorite album of the decade isn't really up for debate. I'm too attached to one thing totally not right for around here to look fairly.

In terms of prog and metal, though, I would say my picks would be between two; either Dream Theater's "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" or Transatlantic's "Kaleidoscope". I know neither one is exceptionally popular, but I think they're both phenomenal examples of what they're trying to do.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:28 am

Sheesh! Picking one a year is tough enough...... Picking one from eight years is even harder. However, when I look at my list, a few DO pop right off the page.

Leprous "Bilateral" - Hearing as much music as we do, it is very rare to have legitimate goosebump moments anymore when hearing a new album, like I did back in the day when first hearing bands like Threshold or Symphony X, Therion or Nightwish. "Bilateral" was the first album in I-don't-know-how-many-years that I was absolutely mesmerized by, and listened to over and over again for days after. While Leprous is still one of my favorites, they have never recaptured the same sort of frenetic, chaotic, rules-be-damned attitude of this album. Brilliance at all levels.

Vanden Plas "Seraphic Clockwork" - My initial reaction when hearing this album was "well, it's no Christ-0", but after revisiting it a few times it really exploded for me. VP is almost always at the top of my list, any year they release a new disc, but as of the moment this is their last "masterpiece" level release.

Notable Mentions:
Kingcrow "Phlegethon" / "In Crescendo" / "Eidos" - Who the hell manages to release THREE perfect albums in a row?!? Kingcrow, apparently! I couldn't separate the three enough to even pick a favorite amongst them.

Redemption "This Mortal Coil" / "The Art of Loss" - See comment above. :)

Evergrey "Hymns for the Broken" - Perfect example of the beauty of "new" Evergrey. I don't need the speed, power or energy of ISoT or Recreation Day all the time. What I need are the warm, beautiful layers of emotion that this album brings in spades. This is also one of the best sounding "LOUD" albums I've ever heard. Every note just SHINES on this.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:47 am

Nos wrote:My favorite album of the decade isn't really up for debate. I'm too attached to one thing totally not right for around here to look fairly.

In terms of prog and metal, though, I would say my picks would be between two; either Dream Theater's "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" or Transatlantic's "Kaleidoscope". I know neither one is exceptionally popular, but I think they're both phenomenal examples of what they're trying to do.

Wait...you actually like a Dream Theater disk?
Tarja is a female woman

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:54 am

Egads.....

:cry:

Good luck trying to pick one where I can't pick a best of by a certain band from this decade
Right now
Every Studio release from Anathema from Where Here to the Optimist
Kingcrow-last 2 disks
Fates Warning -Theory in Flight
Redemption-the last 2

Gun to my head...
I'm going Anathema-Distant Sattelites
Tarja is a female woman

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:19 am

GaetanL wrote:So far, I have to go with Wolverine - "Communication Lost" (2011)
Very close is IQ - "The Road Of Bones" (2014), but for the connection with the lyrics, I have to go with Wolverine - CL.
Only 2 years and 4 months before 2020... Time flies...

I know what you mean. Every single song on that album is connected to some rough moment in my life.

Nos

Postby Nos » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:58 am

Chris R wrote:
Nos wrote:My favorite album of the decade isn't really up for debate. I'm too attached to one thing totally not right for around here to look fairly.

Wait...you actually like a Dream Theater disk?

Two of them, actually. I like "Black Clouds..." too, but "ADTOE" more. I thought those two albums found Petrucci (and Portnoy) settling in and writing better vocal lines for James than they did on "Images & Words" and that era. Unfortunately, they didn't keep that up on the last two records.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:07 am

Code: Select all

Two of them, actually. I like "Black Clouds..." too, but "ADTOE" more. I thought those two albums found Petrucci (and Portnoy) settling in and writing better vocal lines for James than they did on "Images & Words" and that era. Unfortunately, they didn't keep that up on the last two records.

Strange to hear that is the reason you like them so much.... To me, "Black Clouds" is their most lyrically immature album to date, possibly cheesier than "Astonishing" if that is possible...... Thankfully, the music MORE than makes up for it.

I think we posted about "Dramatic" on another thread, but that is a REALLY solid album. Predictable, safe, sure..... But REALLY well done. The s/t and Astonishing don't come close to it.

Nos

Postby Nos » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:16 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:

Code: Select all

Strange to hear that is the reason you like them so much.... To me, "Black Clouds" is their most lyrically immature album to date, possibly cheesier than "Astonishing" if that is possible...... Thankfully, the music MORE than makes up for it.

I think we posted about "Dramatic" on another thread, but that is a REALLY solid album. Predictable, safe, sure..... But REALLY well done. The s/t and Astonishing don't come close to it.

You're not wrong. The lyrics on "Black Clouds" are mostly terrible. I was only commenting on the melodies themselves. While I cringe at some of Petrucci's words, I think there's some great hooks there. But yes, ADTOE is the far superior album.

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:43 pm

GaetanL wrote:So far, I have to go with Wolverine - "Communication Lost" (2011.

For me, this is the greatest cd of all time ( again, for me :P ) so this is easily the number one best album of the 10`s :)
I never got a hotdog! (or that Mini 5 track DTM cd )

elendil

Postby elendil » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:52 pm

Tough call, but gotta give #1 to Anathema, WHBWH.

Number two? Alcest, _Voyages de l'Ame_ (does that count as prog metal in the broadest sense?).

Number three... probably Vektor, _Outer Isolation_ (same question).

Number four... probably Big Big Train, _Folklore_ (not metal, but definitely prog).

Honorable mentions... Alcest, _Shelter_; Anathema, _Weather Systems_; King Crimson, _Radical Action_; Thank You Scientist, _Stranger Heads Prevail_; Riot, _Immortal Soul_.

Norén

Postby Norén » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:36 pm

Tesseract... but I can't decide if it's Polaris or Altered State. Love them both.
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com

progulus

Postby progulus » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:05 am

Leprous - Bilateral, followed closely by Tesseract - Altered State. Both are paradigm-shifting in their own unique way.

devomeister

Postby devomeister » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:14 pm

Jolly- Audio Guide pt 1

Resisting the urge to include what I'm really excited about this year (for album of the decade, it probably needs to stand the test of time), I think my pick right now would be Jolly. Fabulous album, top to bottom, that still has a fresh, unique sound, and gets played quite regularly even with all of the new music I take in.

Other potentials for me-

Fen- Trails Out of Gloom
Leprous- Bilateral
Fair to Midland-Arrows and Anchors
Boil- Axiom
Big Wreck- Ghosts

These all still get regular play, and they all excite me years after first hearing them. I'm sure I'm forgetting something huge, but I feel pretty comfortable with Jolly sitting there at the top. There's still two years left, though. Plenty of time for new and exciting music to make my decision more difficult.

Weird to go through my music, and realize how much I wanted to include on this list predates 2010. I'm gettin' old.

I'm kind of stunned that I haven't included any Devy on the list. I still love his albums, and still rotate through his discography regularly, but if I'm being honest, nothing he's done since Addicted puts me in mind of "best of decade". Still plenty of room for "excellent but not decade defining" in my playlist, though.
Check out my professional portfolio:
https://chris_devo.artstation.com/

Check out my art blog:
http://chrisdevosartblog.blogspot.com/

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:24 pm

Without actually perusing my collection - and without sitting down and comparing discs - off the top of my head I'd have to say Wolverine / Communication Lost... there aren't many discs that reach the soul -- this is one of them........

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:20 pm

For me, there are four candidates that stand head, shoulders, torso and crotch above the others. I may be leaving one or two out but these just resonate with me and im sure none will be a surprise.

Ascendia

Need - Orvam

Speaking to Stones - Elements

Fates Warning - Theories

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:01 am

Ascendia

Need - Orvam

Speaking to Stones - Elements

Fates Warning - Theories

Those are four very strong albums. Of the four, "Elements" is the one I am least familiar with. I loved the debut, but never took the time to really dig into Elements as much. Ascendia I enjoy even more after last year's PP show, and Theories is the best FW album since the golden era (Parallels).

BumZen

Postby BumZen » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:53 am

Leprous - Bilateral

Didn't even have to think about it.
Skambamse

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:16 pm

Isn't it funny/sad that Communication Lost appears rather heavily in a thread asking for the absolute best and yet they're totally unknown outside of this small genre? BTW, Wolverine is already working on new material.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

Return to “PM: Core”