Astronoid - Air

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

elendil

Astronoid - Air

Postby elendil » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:53 am

Searched the forum and didn't see any posts on this 2016 release, but it sounds like something that would appeal to many here. Astronoid's a Massachusetts band, and they combine a bunch of different styles with a generally major-key, atmospheric affect. Think Alcest's _Shelter_ album meets Scale the Summit meets Devin Townsend meets... Helloween? Yes, seriously. Check out the "Up and Atom" track: I never thought someone could blend speedy Euro-style power metal with Alcest-y shoegaze, but here it is. I would consider the album progressive, especially if you consider stuff like StS prog.

Anyway, as I love all the bands mentioned here, this album is more less aimed straight at my taste configuration. If there's any criticism to be made, it's that it hews a bit too closely to some of their influences. While Alcest is a point of reference simply for the atmospherics and general "sound," Astronoid outright rips off a few riffs from Scale the Summit. But you know what? Some of the "classic" bands we revere today were a bit too obvious with their influences when they started out too. Overall, a great debut and highly recommended.

https://blood-music.bandcamp.com/album/air

(I have no idea why Bandcamp puts the album under the "Blood Music" discography. There's also a separate Astronoid page.)

Chris R

Re: Astronoid - Air

Postby Chris R » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:54 pm

I did a search before posting and low and behold..someone did post about this

https://blood-music.bandcamp.com/album/air

Just gave this a listen because someone compared them to a more rocking version of Anathema.
Maybe the atmospheric happy key part,like you I hear a lot of the "pretty Devy" side with some insane speed and blastbeats..

Great sturf.
Tarja is a female woman

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:25 pm

I didn't know a note of these guys before their set opening for TesseracT and Plini. They absolutely blew my mind and I may have enjoyed their set more than Plini's, actually. Incredibly soothing and uplifting for the style of music they play.

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:57 pm

I'm shocked this was a one post and into oblivion thing on here....
The vox alone would probably have a lot of people here at least somewhat interested as they as as clean as they come for this kind of music
Tarja is a female woman

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:51 am

This is really good stuff..... Like you said, a mix of some different influences for sure. Almost like Devin meets Cynic, if you will.

Alas..... Digital only!
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:39 am

Not crazy about the 'wall of sound' production, but this is good...

elendil

Postby elendil » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:17 pm

See... sometimes I do post about things that interest other people here. ;)

If you want to talk about a weak point in Astronoid's music, I'd say it's the vocals. At first I thought they were female, and I didn't mind them - but when I discovered they were male, I liked them less. It really shouldn't matter, and I know that, but somehow it does!

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:00 am

If you want to talk about a weak point in Astronoid's music, I'd say it's the vocals. At first I thought they were female, and I didn't mind them - but when I discovered they were male, I liked them less. It really shouldn't matter, and I know that, but somehow it does!

To me, they are one of the most intriguing aspects. Really reminded me of the processed Cynic sound, and they are so crystal smooth against the music that it makes for an enticing contrast. Over an entire album I guess they could get old though.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:22 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:Over an entire album I guess they could get old though.

The disc IS 'samey' and is probably an occasional listen for me. It's certainly really good, though.

Return to “PM: Core”