Thoughts on a lot of music ........

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Thoughts on a lot of music ........

Postby LarryD » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:53 pm

Thanks to everyone who posted their Top lists ..... it inspired me to take out all of the music I've been listening to, and come to some thoughts on it all ..... I will also be posting a Top 5 list for those who care ................ :)

In no order - here are my thoughts on anything I could find laying around................

ADAGIO / Life --
I loved the early Adagio material. I lost track of them after they played Prog Power so many years ago. I checked out a little of this disc and I have to say I came up a bit on the empty side. Here's the kicker. I really enjoy Kelly Carpenter's vocals but I can't marry them to this band. I'm a huge David Readman fan, but that's not even the case since Kelly can hold his own. Whether I've moved on from Adagio, or I can't place Kelly into this band, I could not pursue this one further.

ORPHANED LAND / Orphaned Land and Friends (25th Anniversary special) --
I have not seen anyone talk about this one. I wonder why. It's Orphaned Land dammit. Ok, that out of the way, I did not dig this one at all. I figured it was a no brainer and I bought it blindly off Google Music. The strange thing is that I couldn't find it anywhere else. It's a re-worked version of Orphaned Land songs with different people involved (like Steven Wilson for instance). For some reason, and I'm an Orphaned Land bitch, I cannot get into this one. Maybe that's why no one is talking about it ? That said, I cannot wait to see them again at Prog Power, and have enjoyed everything they have done there over the years and on disc. Their acoustic show one year at PP holds special memories for me as well ......

KATATONIA / The Fall of Hearts -
I do not play this one as much as I did "Dead End Kings"..... (thanks to Stevie for getting me into this band). I know they kill it live, so this may be one of those bands that blow me away me live but not so much on disc. (think Anathema for me). I want to prepare for their upcoming show at Prog Power, so I'm moving around in their catalog but keep coming back to Dead End. This disc here I know is revered throughout their fan base, but I don't keep coming back to it as much as I'd like to.

AMORPHIS / An Evening with Friends --
Here is another head scratcher for me as well ..... No one has talked about this one at all, much like the O-Land disc. This is live acoustic set, one of two sets if I read it right, and the 2nd one (where the hell is it) is the Under a Red Cloud in it's entirety acoustic, where this disc is various songs done acoustically. I like this one a lot better than the O-Land disc, but I haven't seen anyone talk about this one either. Glenn got me into this band (thanks bro) during their Skyforger days, and anyone into this band need to get this one. This should have been released as a 2-disc set with the Under set as well, and I think it would have done much better. I love acoustic sets by these metal bands, and this one is awesome.

MINDMAZE / Resolve -
Always on the lookout for female fronted bands, I checked this out based on a recommendation. I've tried like hell to get into it, but it just doesn't click for me. I'll keep at it, but I'm thinking this may be one of those bands that do it live for me, but not on disc.

ODD LOGIC / Effigy -
Another melodic prog metal band that goes under the radar constantly. This disc will make my Top 10 for sure. Stevie and I were going back and forth about this band as to how they sound like and we came up with the band Vox Tempus (anyone remember them? - Scott I know you do. This is polished, slick, melodic prog metal with a vocalist who is as slick as the music (think Dennis DeYoung, Josh Pincus (Ice Age) and others of this type of melodic singers. Supposedly, this band started as a project and has now gone on to becoming a full fledged band and may even tour. This is the type of prog metal they don't make anymore, but it still floors me with it's polished and melodic flair albeit not as heavy as most. The production on this thing is stellar, and I even downloaded the FLAC version which I haven't heard yet. I hope this band catches on and starts to make some waves. Hey, they use Hammond Organ patches - I love it !!!!!!

ANTHRIEL / Transcendence -
I think this band is from South America. Someone should have told them that the title of their disc has been used before. However, that said, this band is onto something...... they play a power / prog style with an awesome singer somewhere in the Russ Allen camp, but there is just something missing here to make this a monster, but I can't put my finger on it. Anyone into heavier melodic prog metal done South American style should check this band out. I remember their last disc, and it wasn't near the quality of this one, but this band can take it into the stars if they get their songwriting down.

ANATHEMA / The Optomist -
I don't think I've seen any other band who puts out more versions of a disc than this band. When I visited The Lasers Edge a few weeks ago, all I saw were different versions of this disc everywhere. This is another of those bands that slay me live, but I have trouble with on disc. I've got their bluray shows, but on disc I fall off the map for some reason except for Weather Systems. I will keep at this one in the hopes that it strikes a better chord within me, but I have trouble picking it up to go back to......I may write this band off except for in a live setting, but I'll keep at this one in the hopes........

CYDEMIND / Erosion -
Glenn turned us onto this band, and with great results. I am not a fan of instrumentals, but if Glenn says I will like one (think Joseph Magazine folks), then I listen........ This is easy to describe - what if Kansas released an all instrumental disc, and put just a bit of Dream Theater in it as well. The violin and piano dominate the sound here, and the band is from Canada (what the hell is in the water up there). I talked to Ken about this one and he said there is only the Bandcamp version if you want it - no disc. I think this is becoming the norm. Anyone into Kansas would do well here if you want to hear what Kansas sounds like without vocals. This could be a Top 10 for me.

BLIND EGO / Mirror -
After the incredible "Liquid" that made my Top 10 last year, I decided to try this one again. I had it some years ago and gave it away. I got it back thinking I would be re-united with the sound and I was wrong. I could not get through the disc. Liquid absolutely blows this one away. I played a few songs, and I kept thinking "this is like 70s hard rock" .......Kalle Wallner, the guitarist for Neo-Prog band RPWL, sets out on his own now and then, and he smokes outside of that band. He lets loose (great guitarist), and gives us what he is capable of doing outside the confines of the Neo-Prog world, and does it right. Except here. Go with Liquid for an incredible ride.......

DAMNATIONS DAY / A World Awakens --
Someone texted me one day and said - "are you missing your old Evergrey - try this one" ....... I scratch my head at how good this disc is with no one talking about it....... I think this band is from Australia, and plays a melodic prog metal not that far off from a combination of old Evergrey and Fates Warning. The singer is excellent, as is the production, and I wonder how disc like this go under the radar. I talked with Ken at length about this very thing, and we both agree that tastes are changing, and no one wants this type of prog metal anymore. I love this disc - and I love what it represents. A "non-modern" slab of prog metal that smokes.

PROSPEKT / The Illuminated Sky -
Read the above write up, except insert early Symphony X instead of early Evergrey. If you like and / or are missing early Symphony X meets early Circus Maximus, then grab this one immediately. Superb prog metal done up like those mentioned bands with a high pitched singer who sounds like a cross between Mike Eriksson and Nils Rue. This guy must live being Mike Romeo, but who cares ....... he does it so smooth and awesome you don't think about it........Top 10 disc easily, if not #1 at the moment.

EVERSHIP / st -
Todd played this for me on a recent trip to New Orleans, and I was blown away. This is not metal, so if Prog Rock / Neo-Prog isn't your thing, stay clear. This band from Tennessee plays a Prog Rock injected with melodic rock (ala Survivor or Toto) and just kills it in the maple syrup dept. The singer is special - coming in somewhere between Sting, Roger Taylor (Queen), and is the heart of the music. Bands I hear are Mystery, Toto, some Queen (in the vocals) and the production is stellar as well. This will end up Top 5 easily.

CALIGUA'S HORSE / Bloom -
I want to get into this band. Really. So I grabbed it blindly from The Lasers Edge. I know there are lots of fans here, so I'm ready for the fallout. I know it's very good, but I'm an Arcane whore. Jim Gray is the singer for both bands, and then disbanded Arcane in favor of this one. Problem is, I like Arcane better. It was a bucket list band for Prog Power until the band announced it's end. I know the guitarist is great - and I love Gray's vocals, but I continue to struggle with going back to it on a regular basis. I'm hoping that all of a sudden it clicks with me, but I love instant gratification and not having to work at it, call me lazy.

EVERWOOD / Without Saving -
Many don't know about this band from Greece ......many years ago they released an excellent prog metal disc called "The Raven's Nest" and my cries of greatness went unheard. As I was talking to Ken about this very thing, I was poking through boxes and found this one. I could not believe it was the same band. I thought they had disbanded and that was it. I grabbed it blindly based on that and couldnt wait to get home to play it. Well, one pass and I was convinced this wasn't the same band, or that they tried a different approach to gain some fans. It obviously didn't work. I see the release date is 2011, so this band has to be done. This is nothing like The Raven's Nest, and all I can say about it is to stay clear if you have an inkling about what the band was all about. The shame of it this - they released a monster prog metal disc back in 2005 or so, and no one gave a shit. They release a sub-par disc in 2011, and still no one gave a shit. That concept bothers me. When you get to be my age, it will bother you too .......

JORDAN RUDESS / Feeding the Wheel -
If it's got Jordan's name on it, I buy it. I have not heard a note, but I am looking forward to it. He has become my keyboard God since Keith Emerson passed, and I know he will deliver. I've got most of Jordan's solo material, so I do not expect anything but greatness.

DEVIND TOWNSEND / Ziltoid The Omniscient -
Ok, so we've got a story here. Those of who know me are scratching their head. Ken didn't ask me, and some don't even know. So here it is. Another band that kills me live, but can't cut it on disc. And I know there are lots of Devin fans here. I've tried Addicted, Epicloud, Ghost. Saw him at the first Prog Power show and I had to leave at some point due to the loudness. I know he is talented, and I know he has lots of fans. I pretty much wrote him off until last month, when I was browsing You Tube, and I came across the Ziltoid show Live at the Royal Albert Hall in England. I admit - I'd had some rum, and I was feeling good. I watched the show and I was blown away. But wait - what were all those things that the fans were waving in the crowd ? It was the Ziltoid puppet !!!!!!! I had to have one. So I went on Devin's merch web site, which is based out of England, and I ordered the Ziltoid puppet. Then I went to The Lasers Edge and I ordered the Ziltoid show on bluray....... I don't think I've ever had so much fun at a metal show than this one .......The show itself is magnificent, and reminds me of a modern day Therion. I've got the puppet, which will be the official mascot at the upcoming Prog Power, and when I saw this disc at The Lasers Edge, I had to have it, even knowing that the disc could not rival the show....which it did not. Another one of those bands that kill me live, and can't do it on disc. That's ok. I'm now a Ziltoid whore, and those of you who have to spend the weekend with me at Prog Power, now have to spend it with Ziltoid as well. yeah, I'm late to the party, but a party is a party .................. :P

NP: IQ / The Road of Bones ( I never tire of this disc )

GaetanL

Re: Thoughts on a lot of music ........

Postby GaetanL » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:01 pm

LarryD wrote:IQ / The Road of Bones ( I never tire of this disc )

+1
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:00 pm

Feeding the Wheel is a really fun album. If you like Jordan's brand of keys then you're almost guaranteed to like it, imo.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:06 pm

EVERWOOD / Without Saving -
Many don't know about this band from Greece ......many years ago they released an excellent prog metal disc called "The Raven's Nest" and my cries of greatness went unheard. As I was talking to Ken about this very thing, I was poking through boxes and found this one. I could not believe it was the same band. I thought they had disbanded and that was it. I grabbed it blindly based on that and couldnt wait to get home to play it. Well, one pass and I was convinced this wasn't the same band, or that they tried a different approach to gain some fans. It obviously didn't work. I see the release date is 2011, so this band has to be done. This is nothing like The Raven's Nest, and all I can say about it is to stay clear if you have an inkling about what the band was all about. The shame of it this - they released a monster prog metal disc back in 2005 or so, and no one gave a shit. They release a sub-par disc in 2011, and still no one gave a shit. That concept bothers me. When you get to be my age, it will bother you too .......

You're going to make me go dig this one out, as I recall enjoying this one quite a bit...... It was different than the first two, but I recall a bit of a modern Fates Warning / mid-era Labyrinth vibe to it. It definitely was a different approach, but I thought it was for the better as the first two had more of the traditional Greek prog approach (ie. Pain of Salvation vein).
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Return to “PM: Core”