Chaos Frame - Paths to Exile

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Sir Exar Kun

Chaos Frame - Paths to Exile

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:48 am

Searched the forum and found no mention of this band. I bought this last year at ProgPower and just now got around to listening to it. Picture a heavier, semi-technical proggy band fronted by an Andy Engberg (Lions Share) soundalike with super rich melodies.

Highly recommended. They have two discs, and this is the second. As of yet, I cannot locate the first album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBB7gdOa7h0

Here's a portion of the album description on Lasers Edge.

Lofty praise, for sure, but Paths to Exile delivers, front to back. And as satisfying as the entire picture manages to be, the weight delivered in its midsection via “Terra Firma,” “Paper Sun” and “Giantkiller” is just staggering. Nimble acoustic picking blends with knotty riffing and ample time signature shifts; infectious choruses swirl into falsettoed, King Diamond-inspired “oh-ohhhs”; bolts of blast-beating drums run like hellfire; pretty leads split the sky without ever being overblown; and there’s even a bloody saxophone solo that winds up resting so perfectly within the overall scheme of things that you’ll wonder why more bands of this nature don’t work this oft-maligned instrument into their own blueprint. Embrace your inner Tim Cappello, heavy metal.

It’s been a while since I’ve come across a prog/power metal record as altogether satisfying as Paths to Exile. In the end, however, one probably needs some level of appreciation for the style to fully acknowledge what’s going on here. It’s too bad, really, because above all else, Chaos Frame simply succeeds at delivering great heavy metal – energetic, exciting, empowering heavy metal that’s perfectly suited for those who appreciate impeccable musicianship, towering vocals and just generally feeling fucking fantastic after listening to one of the better records that 2015 has to offer.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Chaos Frame - Paths to Exile

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:52 am

And, because that's always the way it works, as soon as I post this I find the first album available in like 15 seconds.

http://www.chaosframemerch.blogspot.com
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Return to “PM: Core”