Daydream XI / The Circus of the Tattered and Torn......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Daydream XI / The Circus of the Tattered and Torn......

Postby LarryD » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:59 pm

Well, not really ....... its coming out September 22nd but hopefully it will come out in time for Prog Power .... why you ask ? Because last weekend I had the pleasure of visiting Ken Golden and he played the Daydream XI for me and it was excellent !!!!!!! I am putting up a link to a You Tube video that will give you an idea of what to expect, but this is without the vocals ....... the vocalist, imo, is a huge part of this extravangaza. I commented to Ken - " no one is making prog metal music like this anymore" .... and he agreed........

What I'm hearing is like a cross between Angra / Haken / and modern prog metal ........ I hear Angra all over the place, but I hear (don't gasp) Lynch Mob (Oni Logan) in the vocal dept .... the dude has a bluesy, gritty, soulful if you will voice .... which is superb.

Go hear and check out an instrumental version of the new disc ................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQvVifcAdL8

Then go here and put the vocals to the music ...............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YDwYBwSIuE

Or you could go here and see 2 videos of the new stuff ..........

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/thre ... n.1159276/

Overall, the disc blew me away ...... and if Glenn had to replace Sunburst with someone, this is going to excite just as much .......... Prog Heads unite !!!!!!!

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Daydream XI / The Circus of the Tattered and Torn......

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:40 am

What I'm hearing is like a cross between Angra / Haken / and modern prog metal ........ I hear Angra all over the place, but I hear (don't gasp) Lynch Mob (Oni Logan) in the vocal dept .... the dude has a bluesy, gritty, soulful if you will voice .... which is superb.

I am all over this one...... And nice call on the Oni Logan reference!!!!
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

dwhitt

Postby dwhitt » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:23 pm

The singer is a big draw for me. I really like his tone and delivery. I look forward to seeing these guys. Sunburst was number one on my list this year, but these guys have the potential to soften the blow a bit in their absence.

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:57 pm

dwhitt wrote:The singer is a big draw for me. I really like his tone and delivery. I look forward to seeing these guys. Sunburst was number one on my list this year, but these guys have the potential to soften the blow a bit in their absence.

You're coming to PP? Cool! We'll have to introduce you to the Room Of Death. Be afraid, very afraid.

Guy
Güy

dwhitt

Postby dwhitt » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:19 pm

You're coming to PP? Cool! We'll have to introduce you to the Room Of Death. Be afraid, very afraid.

Yep, I'll be there with the family.

I've always been afraid of you guys. That's the reason I stopped coming to the shows.

Really looking forward to seeing everyone...even if it involves a "Room of Death"

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:49 pm

dwhitt wrote:

Yep, I'll be there with the family.

I've always been afraid of you guys. That's the reason I stopped coming to the shows.

Really looking forward to seeing everyone...even if it involves a "Room of Death"

Hey!!! Will be great to finally meet you Doug! Remember when we were trading tapes? You were one of my first tape traders, and one of the greatest because your stuff had great sound quality , which was not the case for everyone...

See you in the Room Of Death indeed and so you'll meet the weird family, including the fucking Frenchies of Death! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:08 pm

Really looking forward to this one. I pre-ordered the HD version from Lasers's Bandcamp page. Very cool that Ken signed them.

Will be great seeing you and the family Doug.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

dwhitt

Postby dwhitt » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:58 pm

Guillaume wrote:
Hey!!! Will be great to finally meet you Doug! Remember when we were trading tapes? You were one of my first tape traders, and one of the greatest because your stuff had great sound quality , which was not the case for everyone...

See you in the Room Of Death indeed and so you'll meet the weird family, including the fucking Frenchies of Death!

I definitely remember all the tape trading. Spent a lot of time transferring stuff to tape. It was worth it cause I always got great stuff in return.
"Fucking Frenchies of Death"...sounds like a song Alestorm needs to write for their next album. Looking forward to finally meeting you.

Todds wrote:
Will be great seeing you and the family Doug.

Thanks Todd. Back atcha. See you there.

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:45 pm

So in addition to selling this disc early before PP, Ken is streaming it early on his Bandcamp.

It's not as relentlessly heavy as The Grand Disguise and it's a bit less traditional in style. There are a good deal more acoustic sections and even a samba part (oh yeah, we're from Brazil). Every so often you'll hear an absolutely mad tech-metal part that could have come from the pen of Gojira, Nevermore, or Persefone. But by and large it's a proggier album that takes a bit more time.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:56 pm

Pretty much agree with everything that has been said here ....... I've been playing this non-stop in preparation for the show, and it's one of the more proggy discs I've heard in awhile that appeal to me at this level. Meaning, this disc took me right to my tolerance limit and I love it. The writing, for one, is fantastic, but I think in the end, it's the singer and the drummer that appeal to me the most. The singer is absolutely magnificent here - coming in like an aggressive Oni Logan (Lynch Mob) with more range for sure ....... the drummer is insane and wonderful. Non-stop fills at every turn without making it a show-fest.

This band really nailed it - and I look forward to them opening the show this year. Top 10 disc easily.

Return to “PM: Core”