Kansas live

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Mardoch

Kansas live

Postby Mardoch » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:38 pm

So I just saw that Kansas is playing in my city (holy shit, I don't have to go see Todd for a show!?). The only rub to this scenario is that it's the same night I get home from Houston after seeing Plini and David Maxim Micic.

So my question is...are they still worth it live? I know it's not the classic roster, which stinks, but if they can still do their magic then that's all I need at this point.

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Kansas live

Postby LarryD » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:14 am

I'm a purist when it comes to this band......so without Steve Walsh, I cant do it....... That said, the new singer is excellent and he hits the old notes that Steve couldn't....... Ive seen some online clips of him doing it live, and from,what I read, the magic of the Kansas sound is still in tact...... If you are a fan, and have never seen them,before, I would say go..........

franco32

Postby franco32 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:50 pm

I just saw them in Peoria, Illinois and thought they were great. Did the whole Leftoverture album and I really enjoyed it.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:44 pm

franco32 wrote:I just saw them in Peoria, Illinois and thought they were great. Did the whole Leftoverture album and I really enjoyed it.

Oh hell yeah. By miles that's my favorite Kansas album.

I was leaning really strongly toward yes, but with a little encouragement I'm definitely sold. I think my dad's interested in going as well, which is cool, cause I otherwise don't have much context for a relationship with him these days. He's the one who gave me a prog inclination...largely through a childhood filled with Kansas.

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:49 pm

I saw them live about a year ago for the first time and they were outstanding. I highly recommend going. The new singer sounded great, so don't let Larry scare you off.
Güy

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:43 am

If that's what they sound like 40 years after Leftoverture how ridiculous were they in their prime!? Holy crap what a show. 2.5hr set, frontload of greatest hits and some new stuff, then all of Leftoverture, then an encore. My dad and my younger brother both came. It was fun watching him realize that Symphony X is basically the metal version of Kansas, lol.

I don't know how much longer they can do a show like that so I'm incredibly that I was able to make this one. Definitely a memorable event.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:08 pm

Mardoch wrote:If that's what they sound like 40 years after Leftoverture how ridiculous were they in their prime!? Holy crap what a show. 2.5hr set, frontload of greatest hits and some new stuff, then all of Leftoverture, then an encore. My dad and my younger brother both came. It was fun watching him realize that Symphony X is basically the metal version of Kansas, lol.

I don't know how much longer they can do a show like that so I'm incredibly that I was able to make this one. Definitely a memorable event.

***Doug - that is so awesome that you got to see Kansas and loved the show ....... I wanted to see the show but I just couldn't bring myself to seeing the Leftoverture show without Steve Walsh ...... sounds rigid, but I'm a fan from day one, so without Steve it's hard for me to jump on board ...... I did it for John Elefante back in the 80's (Todd back me up here) but I had no choice and John was an incredible substitute, not knowing Steve would be back ........

Kudos to you -- and if you have a bluray player and watch concerts, now that you have seen Kansas - get the "There's No Place Like Home" show with a symphony orchestra show for a mind-blowing spectacle. Steve was at the end here, but he ruled just the same and was a fitting exodus for the band as we know it .......

I love Kansas.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:20 pm

I can appreciate the purist's perspective. Ronnie Platt is the vocalist I believe, and he did very well. Not Walsh, but still very good. I'll look into that Blu-Ray.

They also metal'd up the guitar tones a bit, which was a perfect thing for me :D

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:27 pm

Mardoch wrote:So I just saw that Kansas is playing in my city (holy shit, I don't have to go see Todd for a show!?). The only rub to this scenario is that it's the same night I get home from Houston after seeing Plini and David Maxim Micic.

Did you eventually go, given the...situation we had down here? I had a conflict with a different show but when I was unable to go to that, I considered going out to this show instead, but then found out my Verizon Wi-Fi calling service was not working and if we didn't hurry up to an Apple store, I'd be stuck unable to fix it, and thus unable to call should the power go out, until at least Sunday.

I passed on Plini last time he was here and apparently Micic has never toured in the US before. His newest album was fantastic. I also would have liked to pick up a hardcopy of Handmade Cities as I've never been able to locate it outside of his website and shipping from Australia is pretty steep.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:24 pm

outprogged42 wrote:
Mardoch wrote:So I just saw that Kansas is playing in my city (holy shit, I don't have to go see Todd for a show!?). The only rub to this scenario is that it's the same night I get home from Houston after seeing Plini and David Maxim Micic.

Did you eventually go, given the...situation we had down here? I had a conflict with a different show but when I was unable to go to that, I considered going out to this show instead, but then found out my Verizon Wi-Fi calling service was not working and if we didn't hurry up to an Apple store, I'd be stuck unable to fix it, and thus unable to call should the power go out, until at least Sunday.

I passed on Plini last time he was here and apparently Micic has never toured in the US before. His newest album was fantastic. I also would have liked to pick up a hardcopy of Handmade Cities as I've never been able to locate it outside of his website and shipping from Australia is pretty steep.

Given the way that Harvey juked toward Houston in the wee hours of Friday I opted not to tempt my fate. In another time I'd've done it anyway, but I have a 5 year old so that kind of unnecessary risk is out. Plini is fantastic live (saw him last December with Todd in NO), and I've been a fan of David's since the beginning basically and I am genuinely depressed to have missed his debut US tour. They've been selling some venues out, though, so it bodes well for a future for him touring here. I can only hope...otherwise I'm going to have to fly to Europe to see him. I've got the means to do it these days, so I will...but staying in the US is so much easier, lol.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:20 pm

Cool you got this show in your back yard for a change Doug. Lol

I was torn over this show, but would have gone to see it if the timing was better. Leftoverture is a desert island record for me.
I did see them with John in the 80s, and it was awesome, but It's tough for me with them missing both Steve and Kerry.

Stil, I know how professional they are, and I'm sure they brought it. Really glad you got to see this. I am a bit sorry I missed it.

See you next week!

Btw - that Pilini show was so damn good!
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:27 pm

Mardoch wrote:Given the way that Harvey juked toward Houston in the wee hours of Friday I opted not to tempt my fate. In another time I'd've done it anyway, but I have a 5 year old so that kind of unnecessary risk is out. Plini is fantastic live (saw him last December with Todd in NO), and I've been a fan of David's since the beginning basically and I am genuinely depressed to have missed his debut US tour. They've been selling some venues out, though, so it bodes well for a future for him touring here. I can only hope...otherwise I'm going to have to fly to Europe to see him. I've got the means to do it these days, so I will...but staying in the US is so much easier, lol.

I think you made a smart decision. Half an hour away is one thing, but coming from out of state is enormously risky. I only would've went because my dad was willing to drive me in his truck. Brave man. But when he went to the Apple store he had second thoughts and by the time my phone was fixed it was too late anyway.

For anyone on the board concerned (you may not know I'm a native Houstonite), I survived completely intact. 'Twas the single most miserable experience of my lifetime, though. The airports closed but are fortunately coming back into full service just in time for me to get to PPUSA this year.

And also Lost in Translation by Threshold has become enormously poignant to me from a lyrical standpoint. Just was thinking about the song midway through the storm's lifetime and was floored by how much it reflected what I was going through.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:24 pm

Glad you made it through safe. It's good to be amongst the lucky ones.

Return to “PM: Core”