Sons Of Apollo (Portnoy's New Band)

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Nos

Sons Of Apollo (Portnoy's New Band)

Postby Nos » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:56 am

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-p ... of-apollo/

So it's Portnoy, Sherinian, Billy Sheehan, Bumblefoot, and Jeff Scott Soto.

Meh.

I don't think any of them are necessarily well equipped to be writing progressive metal at this point in their careers. Judging by the teaser video linked in that article, it sounds to me like there is going to be even more instrumental wankery than a Dream Theater album. I'll check it out, but I have very low hopes for it.

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Sons Of Apollo (Portnoy's New Band)

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:13 pm

I'm intrigued, even though I expect nothing groundbreaking or new. Derek is not one of my favorites, but I'm interested to hear what Sheehan and Bumblefoot bring to the table.

I'd rather hear this than Winery Dogs or Metal Allegiance, that's for sure.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Nos

Postby Nos » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:22 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:I'd rather hear this than Winery Dogs or Metal Allegiance, that's for sure.

I'll agree on the latter, but The Winery Dogs first album was awesome. The second was dodgy, I'll give you that.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:04 pm

I'll agree on the latter, but The Winery Dogs first album was awesome. The second was dodgy, I'll give you that.

I'm not a Richie Kotzen fan AT ALL, so never had any interest in either.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:38 pm

For some reason, I am not excited about this one at all........ Other than Soto, the rest don't interest me despite the obvious talent.........

Harvester

Postby Harvester » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:21 pm

You guys are some jaded old fucks.

I'm looking forward to it.

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:44 pm

Harvester wrote:You guys are some jaded old fucks.

Same here

I think many still have animosity twards Sherinian for FII (which I actually like more than Scenes)..

If anything this could be a nice tasty slab of somewhat musical heavy melodic rock with great vocals

Unless they fire Soto and get Yngwie to do the vocals
Tarja is a female woman

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:56 pm

I think many still have animosity twards Sherinian for FII (which I actually like more than Scenes)..

If anything this could be a nice tasty slab of somewhat musical heavy melodic rock with great vocals

1 - FII greater than Scenes???? Wow. Just.... WOW!!!! (I will say that I enjoy the demos and outtakes from FII far more than the actual album, but it still is far and away my least favorite DT disc.)

2 - Honestly, if you get Yngwie, you can get rid of the entire band..... They'd all just be hired guns anyway, and between him and drum machine he can handle EVERYTHING!

One of my buddies at work said George Lynch should have been in this band, with all of his side projects..... :)

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:10 pm

Harvester wrote:You guys are some jaded old fucks.

Totally agree! I'm all over this!
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:15 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:

1 - FII greater than Scenes???? Wow. Just.... WOW!!!! (I will say that I enjoy the demos and outtakes from FII far more than the actual album, but it still is far and away my least favorite DT disc.)

2 - Honestly, if you get Yngwie, you can get rid of the entire band..... They'd all just be hired guns anyway, and between him and drum machine he can handle EVERYTHING!

One of my buddies at work said George Lynch should have been in this band, with all of his side projects..... :)

I do see the :) but.... While Lynch is a great guitarist, he would be far out of his element here.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

TROY or maybe DEBBIE

Postby TROY or maybe DEBBIE » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:59 pm

FWIW, I too am looking forward to this.
You guys are like reverse sirens...

Virtual Scott

Postby Virtual Scott » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:11 am

A few thoughts.

1. I agree - this sounds intriguing. Might not be some ground breaking mishmash of definitive prog - but then again it might. Hard to say yet. Calling it without hearing almost anything is akin to declaring you hate a movie from a 1 minute teaser/trailer. You just don't know what you get - till you get it. I have high hopes - but hey - it *could* end up being mundane. Just from the players alone, though, I"m expecting something a bit more experimental and left of center. Regardless, sounds intriguing. Hopefully literally.

2. I much prefer Dream Theater's FII to many other CDs in their catalog. Sherinian was a definite welcome change and brought balls and a more rockin' interesting approach to the keyboard position in DT. To call him the EVH of synths, isn't far of. He didn't write most of the songs so he doesn't deserve 'blame' for the (undeserved) ire this record gets. In fact, I'd go as far as to say he's one of the highlights of a great, albeit slightly different, DT album.

3. George Lynch - of course, full disclosure, and Rifkin can attest to this, being a longtime Lynch fanboy, I can't let a mention go by without slipping my opinion in there. He's an amazing guitarist he has experimented quite a bit with his guitar playing style and song writing. I think he'd be great in a prog metal band. In fact I should email the dude to do just that. Why I remember a few years ago when I issued a small little musical dream team list that included Lynch and Doug (Dug) Punnick... :) Honestly, I think he could 'up' his game and would make an interesting addition to a prog/metal band. Yngwie can bring the donuts. :)

4. Jeff Scott Soto - despite his versatility and wide range of vocal styles available, he's never really 'made it'. He's always a hired gun (for the most part) and his vocal style is definitely something different in the metal/prog world. I honestly, can't wait to hear what he does here - one of the most 'soulful' and interesting vocalists in the metal genre - and the fact he can do the hard rock/alternative vocal style convincingly along with the typical metal stuff, is one of the big lures here for me.

All in all, I hope it kicks all kinds of ass.
Your friendly neighborhood allroundniceguy™
Scott Mosher | http://www.scottmosher.com/

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:38 pm

Virtual Scott wrote:A few thoughts.

1. I agree - this sounds intriguing. Might not be some ground breaking mishmash of definitive prog - but then again it might. Hard to say yet. Calling it without hearing almost anything is akin to declaring you hate a movie from a 1 minute teaser/trailer. You just don't know what you get - till you get it. I have high hopes - but hey - it *could* end up being mundane. Just from the players alone, though, I"m expecting something a bit more experimental and left of center. Regardless, sounds intriguing. Hopefully literally.

2. I much prefer Dream Theater's FII to many other CDs in their catalog. Sherinian was a definite welcome change and brought balls and a more rockin' interesting approach to the keyboard position in DT. To call him the EVH of synths, isn't far of. He didn't write most of the songs so he doesn't deserve 'blame' for the (undeserved) ire this record gets. In fact, I'd go as far as to say he's one of the highlights of a great, albeit slightly different, DT album.

3. George Lynch - of course, full disclosure, and Rifkin can attest to this, being a longtime Lynch fanboy, I can't let a mention go by without slipping my opinion in there. He's an amazing guitarist he has experimented quite a bit with his guitar playing style and song writing. I think he'd be great in a prog metal band. In fact I should email the dude to do just that. Why I remember a few years ago when I issued a small little musical dream team list that included Lynch and Doug (Dug) Punnick... :) Honestly, I think he could 'up' his game and would make an interesting addition to a prog/metal band. Yngwie can bring the donuts. :)

4. Jeff Scott Soto - despite his versatility and wide range of vocal styles available, he's never really 'made it'. He's always a hired gun (for the most part) and his vocal style is definitely something different in the metal/prog world. I honestly, can't wait to hear what he does here - one of the most 'soulful' and interesting vocalists in the metal genre - and the fact he can do the hard rock/alternative vocal style convincingly along with the typical metal stuff, is one of the big lures here for me.

All in all, I hope it kicks all kinds of ass.

You posted this at 11:11

Cool
Tarja is a female woman

Virtual Scott

Postby Virtual Scott » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:27 pm

I'm good like that, yo!
Your friendly neighborhood allroundniceguy™

Scott Mosher | http://www.scottmosher.com/

Nos

Postby Nos » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:50 pm

What's everyone's thoughts so far? Here are the two tracks they've put out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLVWkqnN3Ck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_1N8kVYfkE

Myself, I'm both more and less interested than I thought I would be. The sound of it so far (and from what other have said) is that the album isn't going to be much prog metal at all, despite their proclamations that they are going to overtake Dream Theater. On the other hand, this does sort of sound like what I thought Adrenaline Mob was going to be. The songs are great, but they're pretty good. I should get the album this week, so we'll see if there are any surprises left in the tank.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:40 pm

Nos wrote:What's everyone's thoughts so far? Here are the two tracks they've put out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLVWkqnN3Ck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_1N8kVYfkE

Myself, I'm both more and less interested than I thought I would be. The sound of it so far (and from what other have said) is that the album isn't going to be much prog metal at all, despite their proclamations that they are going to overtake Dream Theater. On the other hand, this does sort of sound like what I thought Adrenaline Mob was going to be. The songs are great, but they're pretty good. I should get the album this week, so we'll see if there are any surprises left in the tank.

Both tracks are good but not great. I've got a preorder on it already so we'll see if there's any real staying power to the full disc.

They can easily top recent DT just by not being garbage, imo, but they'll not top the classic stuff with tunes like those two.

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:14 pm

I'm not sure I'm even going to bother listening to the second song. The first one was quite boring. These musicians are all individually good but their widely disparate musical styles simply don't mesh, other than Portnoy and Sherinian who fit well together and thus are the shining points.

EnchantED

Postby EnchantED » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:07 pm

Both songs are ok. Reminds me too much of Adenaline mob :( . I expected much more from it.
The worst however is that Derek and Mike are constantly making stupid jokes about Dream Theater on social media. Not very classy...

Nos

Postby Nos » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:05 pm

EnchantED wrote:Both songs are ok. Reminds me too much of Adenaline mob :( . I expected much more from it.
The worst however is that Derek and Mike are constantly making stupid jokes about Dream Theater on social media. Not very classy...

Yes, Derek and Mike have made complete asses of themselves on that level. Between insulting a band that is more known and respected than Sons Of Apollo will ever be, and shutting down his forum when he got butt-hurt over people not liking the new songs, Portnoy is running the risk of alienating some of the few people who are keeping all of his projects alive. This is not going to win him the mainstream appeal he craves.

And I say that as someone who does actually like most of the album.

All I hate is that the ended it with a ten minute instrumental. Would someone like to explain why some prog bands do that? I find it terribly insulting, especially since I know Portnoy would never stand for having that much time on an album where he isn't playing.

6 Degrees

Postby 6 Degrees » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:01 am

I'm digging what I've heard so far. I was not crazy about Sherinian in DT when FII first came out, mostly because I absolutely loved Moore's lyrics and tone palette. However, looking at the whole DT landscape, Derek did an outstanding job on that album. He also introduced me to Donatti, got to open for Planet X twice and my jaw hit the floor watching that band.

Very high hopes for this one.
6 Degrees With Paul LaPlaca: I AM ZERO.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:14 pm

Got mine in today thanks to lightning Ken and co.

Just finished the 11:11 opening track and it was good. It's not as good as their ludicrous hype, but it is solid so far. This is in no way revolutionary...if anyone had those kinds of thoughts.

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:45 pm

I rather like this album. Top 20 of 2017? No. But worthy of a good listen, that's for sure.
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: http://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/

Return to “PM: Core”