A board experiment? Statistical engine for metal & prog music recs

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

elendil

A board experiment? Statistical engine for metal & prog music recs

Postby elendil » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:03 pm

If you're like me, you find it hard to get good musical recommendations without doing a lot of work reading reviews, maybe exploring Pandora, etc. Amazon's recommendations engine isn't terrible, but one of its flaws is an exclusive focus on new releases. For those of us who like to explore good music from all eras and don't necessarily abide by strict genre categories, its usefulness is limited.

Part of my professional life is statistical analysis. There's a particular kind of analysis - multiple imputation of missing data - that could work to give everyone who participates a comprehensive set of album recommendations. This form of analysis not only can tell you how much you'll probably like a particular album, but the uncertainty over that prediction - something no recommendation engine has previously done, to my knowledge.

The procedure works best when lots of albums are rated by an adequate number of people, when their ratings display a lot of variance (both bad and good albums), and there are enough albums rated by everyone to provide good "degrees of freedom" (reduction in uncertainty).

Are you interested in participating in this experiment? It would require you to send me a file with quantitative ratings of lots of metal and prog albums - you can rate them however you want, but there will be a basic spreadsheet format you'll need to use. If enough people participate (absolute minimum of six, I'd say), we can get a good test of whether this method of analysis works. In fact, I'm pretty sure Amazon's developers use some variant of this method to drive their recommendation engine - I know the method can work, but the key is to get enough participation.

So if you're interested, please post here. If enough people want to participate, I'll start a separate thread with all the gory details, and we can get started. TBH, I'm excited about playing with these data. Not only could they drive serendipitous musical discoveries for everyone who participates, but they can tell us some interesting things about patterns in the board's musical tastes.

Mardoch

Re: A board experiment? Statistical engine for metal & prog music recs

Postby Mardoch » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:23 pm

I'm down! I've been thinking for a long time about making a local DB recommendation engine based on free form tagging (aka a tag cloud on a song by song basis). Buuuuttt it would've been just for me and I never felt hyper-motivated to get on it.

elendil

Postby elendil » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:22 am

Cool! Let's hope some more jump on board.

I can't be the only weirdo who keeps a spreadsheet of his whole CD collection, can I? :lol:

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:32 pm

I just read it off disk every time, lol. I've digitized all of mine long since.

One day I'll spin up a local db and do all that fancy jazz, though.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:53 pm

I'm in too. This looks like the geeky sort of analysis I love!
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

elendil

Postby elendil » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:07 pm

Okay, that makes three of us... I'd say we need three more to make it worthwhile.

elendil

Postby elendil » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:01 pm

OK, I've drummed up some interest on the Metal-Archives boards, so I'll be following up shortly with some instructions...!

BumZen

Postby BumZen » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:28 am

I could be interested as well!
Skambamse

elendil

Postby elendil » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:48 pm

Instructions now up in a separate thread! 8)

Return to “PM: Core”