Speaking of musical mojo - my order from The Lasers Edge .....

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Speaking of musical mojo - my order from The Lasers Edge .....

Postby LarryD » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:25 pm

It always happens ...... just when you think it sucks musically, and nothing is happening, the mid year surge comes along and then Prog Power is looming on the horizon, and life starts to become good again ........ and it certainly has for me. To start off the mid-year crisis, here is what I ordered from The Lasers Edge ---

PROSPEKT / The Illuminated Sky -
I enjoyed their previous disc, but there was something missing. On their new one, they seem to have filled in the gaps nicely. Armed with a new singer, and a new surge of urgency, they are back with their new disc and it appears to be a monster. It's very easy to describe too .... imagine Symphony X (The Edge of Forever era) thrown into a mixer with early Circus Maximus and Pagan's Mind. If that sounds to good to be true, just go here and play Track 10 / Where Masters Fall and get back to me......the energy is starting to flow again.

https://lasersedge.bandcamp.com/album/t ... ted-skythe

CALIGULA'S HORSE / Bloom -
I have heard lots of C-Horse in the past ..... I just gave it quick glances and spot checks here and there. People have played it for me, and I still resisted and moved on.....lately, I've been entrenched in Arcane, a band that I love dearly and miss more than ever now that they are gone, but Jim Grey's vocals, the need to get into some more "modern" prog metal and people around me pushing me towards this one made me pull the plug finally and just go with the flow........

RPWL / A New Dawn (DVD concert) -
I am a casual fan of this band ......This is a first rate Neo-Prog band and I should be a full fledged fanatic over this band given their Pink Floyd influence.........Their guitarist, Kalle Wallner, released a blistering disc called Blind Ego last year that ended up in the Top 10 from the first listen. Once I read about this particular show, I knew it would catapult me headlong into the band as a whole ...... I can't wait to watch this one ....................

"DVD edition. Includes two-hour-long stereo and surround mixes of the concert, each with audio tracks in both English as well as German. For the English version the lines from the German-language live show were dubbed by the narrator and the actors. In both formats the following extras can be selected independently from the main movie: a fifteen-minute "Making of" of the concert movie, the recording of the encore of the Freising show "Unchain The Earth" as well as a hitherto unreleased video clip of the splendid "Beyond Man And Time" long track "The Fisherman." 2017 release from the German progressive rock band. The concept albums Wanted (2014) and Beyond Man And Time (2012) are widely recognized as the pinnacle of German art rock giants RPWL's discography which meanwhile comprises more than a dozen releases. On the occasion of it's 20th anniversary, the band releases the long-awaited concert movie A New Dawn. It documents the last stop of the tour in support of the Wanted album and that evening the Bavarians played in their hometown of Freising, Bavaria in October 2015. The show is an elaborately assembled combination of elements of a rock concert, a multimedia event and a play. This was the first and only time that the mammoth-production was brought to the stage. In addition to the musicians themselves the cast comprised around fifty actors and extras."

DEVIN TOWNSEND / Ziltoid - Live at the Royal Albert Hall (Bluray show)
Ok now, here is where the fun begins. I've already been razzed by my closest peers about this one, and I realize that I am late to the party. If you know me, you're asking "wtf happened" ..... hehehehe ..... so as it goes, I am not a Devin fan. I've tried everything over the years - Addicted, Epicloud, Ocean Machine, Ghost, saw him at the first Prog Power, and I just convinced myself that it's just not me. So last week - I'm browing You Tube, and I find the Ziltoid show at the Royal Albert Hall. Yeah, I admit that I had some rum and cokes going, but I hit PLAY anyway and was blown away. I watched just the Ziltoid part of it, and instantly the text messages started flowing for the next 2 or 3 days. I immediately hit up The Lasers Edge and ordered this one - and could not believe how this was affecting me. I kept thinking how the crowd energy was incredible, and how freaky the show was - but I was also thinking about how the band as a whole was into this show like they were in a zone......I thought that it was like a damn cult and I wanted to be part of it. The energy coming from that crowd was unreal. Then I thought - what the hell are those things that the crowd was waving around ? Ziltoid puppets ??? Are u kidding me ? Over to Devin's web site I went and immediately ordered a Ziltoid puppet. It will be serve as the official mascot to the Room of Death this year at Prog Power, and don't be surprised if you see it at the actual show itself this year....... I have described this feeling as the one I got when I first saw Therion at their first Prog Power appearance. I stood there mesmerized and stunned - as I sat there mesmerized and stunned at this show. I liken this show to a futuristic Therion. I have been consumed by Ziltoid. Let the razzing begin.

And that is how you get yourself out of a musical rut ............... with the help of others of course .............. :wink:

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Speaking of musical mojo - my order from The Lasers Edge .....

Postby LarryD » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:21 am

Update on the RPWL show ....... it says NTSC Region 0 ...... but my players will not play it. 2 players came up "unknown disc" ........ popped it into my PAL player, and voila !!!! I have a show. Comments coming on the show itself - but anyone who is going to grab this be sure you have a PAL player on hand to play this one........

Even weirder - the Devin Townsend (Ziltoid bluray show) has a sticker on front of the package that reads ( 12 ) leading me to believe that it will not play on our players....and the version being sold on Amazon says that it will not play on our players as it is Region B / 2 ......yet the reviewers say bullshit and it will play fine......

Popped in Ziltoid quickly and it played no problem ........ I wish someone out there in the band's camps would just put a sticker on these shows that says " we fucked up by calling this Region B / 2 or saying it won't play in the USA - but we assure you it does " ......... it's getting to be crap shoot these days as to whether or not these discs will play even with the NTSC sticker on them ............

And Ken - don't tell me to buy an Oppo. I've got ( 2 ) players that will play PAL discs ...... IQ was the first bluray to come along that I couldn't play ...... which was disappointing in itself ..........

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:02 pm

If you liked The Tide, The Thief, & The River's End then I don't see why you wouldn't like Bloom. I adore both discs, personally.

Just realized I misread your post. You've HEARD lots but not latched on yet. Not sure what's stopping you with these folks in particular...maybe you just need the right handful of tunes to make it click. I don't think it's "too modern" for you, to be honest.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:08 pm

Mardoch wrote:If you liked The Tide, The Thief, & The River's End then I don't see why you wouldn't like Bloom. I adore both discs, personally.

Just realized I misread your post. You've HEARD lots but not latched on yet. Not sure what's stopping you with these folks in particular...maybe you just need the right handful of tunes to make it click. I don't think it's "too modern" for you, to be honest.

***Doug - I became so attached to Arcane, that I had a hard time with C-Horse even though Jim is the singer. With Arcane gone (sadly), I want to give C-Horse another chance because I know people around me saying it's right up my alley........ so I bought it to be able to dive headlong into it clearly........ Todd says I should love it, so that tells me I need to give it another try .... especially when everyone around here generally adores the band, as do the reviews online ......... so now is my chance to get into the game properly........

Return to “PM: Core”