MAgma & Chromatica

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Testofwills

MAgma & Chromatica

Postby Testofwills » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:47 pm

so this tour is stopping here in Toronto in Aug...I know nothing about this band at all. I met this guy last weekend at my neighbours bbq and we really hit it off talking about music etc..He just recently seen king Crimson and went on that I should go with him to Magma......from the samples I heard im not sure what to think...lol

http://www.inertia-entertainment.com/events/view/620

LASERCD

Re: MAgma & Chromatica

Postby LASERCD » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:04 pm

Rob

I can promise you that Magma is unlike any band you have heard in your lifetime. You might find it life changing.

Ken

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:59 pm

Rob -

I was lucky enough to have seen Magma way back at a NearFest show thanks to Ken taking me along with him ........ this was the same year that Sleepytime Gorilla Museum was playing as well ....... that is another story ........... :shock:

Magma is unlike anything you have ever seen ...... I say this to you. I know your taste and I think Magma is completely out of your musical spectrum. It certainly is mine, but I sat there mesmerized at they played a 40-plus minute song. I did not know what it was, and to this day I don't. Literally, they have created their own language - Ken can come along and fill you in on this part. I think there were ( 9 ) people on stage when I saw them, and it's like some sort of cult, chanting, and blasting out music that I could never describe to you in a million years. But - I say, if you have the chance to see this band, just go to be able to say that you did. You will never experience anything else like this band ever, and even though you may hate what they are doing, you will never forget the show as I haven't. This is one of those unique, strange bands that no one can explain, they just exist - and what they do is beyond amazing because it doesn't sound like the music we all know and love.

Once you see this band - you will have a conversational piece for the rest of your life ....... just like I do with Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, but that is a story for another day........ :wink:

LASERCD

Postby LASERCD » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:22 pm

Larry summed it up pretty well. They sing in an invented language called Kobian which has derivation in old Germanic. They created a mythology about the planet Kobia...well...I think you get the idea.

Magma live is a much more intense experience than Magma on record.

Matt Johnsen is a heavy convert - you can always ask him for his take but I know he's going to tell you that you have to go.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:50 pm

Rob ---

Go here and check it out ahead of time ...........have plenty of drinks before hand ............. :wink:

https://www.magmamusic.org/en/medias-2/

elendil

Postby elendil » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:16 pm

Musically, it's pretty good stuff & definitely influential. Sounds as if I'll have to check out some live vids!

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:24 pm

I was lucky enough to have seen Magma way back at a NearFest show thanks to Ken taking me along with him ........ this was the same year that Sleepytime Gorilla Museum was playing as well ....... that is another story ........... :shock:

Magma is unlike anything you have ever seen ...... I say this to you. I know your taste and I think Magma is completely out of your musical spectrum. It certainly is mine, but I sat there mesmerized at they played a 40-plus minute song. I did not know what it was, and to this day I don't. Literally, they have created their own language - Ken can come along and fill you in on this part. I think there were ( 9 ) people on stage when I saw them, and it's like some sort of cult, chanting, and blasting out music that I could never describe to you in a million years. But - I say, if you have the chance to see this band, just go to be able to say that you did. You will never experience anything else like this band ever, and even though you may hate what they are doing, you will never forget the show as I haven't. This is one of those unique, strange bands that no one can explain, they just exist - and what they do is beyond amazing because it doesn't sound like the music we all know and love.

Once you see this band - you will have a conversational piece for the rest of your life ....... just like I do with Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, but that is a story for another day........ :wink:

This description alone makes me want to see this show!!! I have heard the name many times, but had no idea it was this.... bizarre??? Now I am very curious.....
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Testofwills

Postby Testofwills » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:09 pm

sold....thx guys 8)

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:58 pm

Ken --

While we are on the subject -- is Sleepytime Gorilla Museum still around ?

Testofwills

Postby Testofwills » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:31 pm

looks like in the afternoon of the show their screening a Magma Movie with the band being there,,Then off to supper to see the show...Could be a cool day for sure...

Testofwills

Postby Testofwills » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:46 pm

Okay..There will be more grammar mistakes then usual as im working 12 hour night shifts from 5pm to 5am and just woke up so here goes...

My journey to the dark side started at 1130am where I met this guy Collin whom I only know for 2 hrs from over a month ago at his pals place where we were picking 3 other guys..I was led to this dingy basement where these old late hippy dudes were smoking dope cutting up rice crispy square edibles and playing Ozric Tenacles on vinyl..Now im thinking this could go either 2 ways..This could be a disaster In the making or quite the day....

We arrived in Toronto around 145 at the Royal Cinema for the viewing of the Magma Movie ..to Live,Death and Beyond..The director was there and after a brief talk screened the movie....It was a really well done documentary..With Christian explain his early childhood and how Coltrane was a huge impact on his life..They showed a lot of live footage and had people like RobertT from Metallica,Trey Gunn and even Jello Biafro talk about how Magma has impacted them...

The venue was only 2 blocks away from the theater so we grabbed some drinks and had a bite to eat..Across the street was a record store so I checked it pout and picked up the reissue on vinyl of To Mega Therion haha.....Really swanky 2 lp gatefold with 36 page booklet....

There was maybe about 200 people at the venue..My pals band Cromatica opened the show and played a short set of Rush inspired set of prog rock..Not to bad at all.They had chops and did some nice jamming...

Magma walked onto the stage with no intro..Their was 2 female and 1 male singer. 2 keys, guitar bass and Christian on drums...They started with some chanting and Christains short hits on the drums for what seemed to be 6 or 7 mins..Then they proceeded to go off in
their own world of intense controlled chaos.....Im not sure what to think of their set..I watched the full show from different vantage points and i really never got that omg feeling..what am i seeing..FOr sure there totally unique and those guys on guitar,bass and especially the one keyboardist can really play but after an hr of hearing this it started to become one long song for me....Its bacially like a rock opera gone off the rails...I really cant see myself buying an lp and listening to this stuff...Again not my bag but i definitely did give it a honest shot..

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:13 pm

Rob -
That's pretty much how I felt after seeing them..... It was an hour long song, chaotic, weird but interesting to see once...... Ive never listened to them or watched them again since.......but at least you can say you saw them....they are quite the conversational piece.........

Return to “PM: Core”