I really miss After Forever

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

ElegyFan

I really miss After Forever

Postby ElegyFan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:20 pm

I can't get through a whole Epica album- too damn long and they all sound the same to me now. Anybody heard any good Beauty and Beast stuff lately or has it all gone away? Just in the mood for it- I guess I could just spin "Decipher" AGAIN. Or maybe some old Tristania or Trail of Tears.

Sir Exar Kun

Re: I really miss After Forever

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:25 am

I can't get through a whole Epica album- too damn long and they all sound the same to me now. Anybody heard any good Beauty and Beast stuff lately or has it all gone away? Just in the mood for it- I guess I could just spin "Decipher" AGAIN. Or maybe some old Tristania or Trail of Tears.

Honestly, Epica is my go-to for this genre now. I too miss After Forever, but Epica certainly holds their own for me. Draconian is a solid second, but I don't think they've put out anything in a couple of years now.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:58 pm

Sadly, the genre is indeed dying ............ either that or we haven't dug deep enough to dig out some of these bands that haven't seen the light of day yet. But I doubt that's the case. Once After Forever called it quits, it seems that the life went out of the genre completely and it just stopped existing.

I agree with you on Epica. They too started to become samey and I couldn't tell one disc from the other. The Divine Conspiracy was the last disc from them that I really enjoyed. I bought Retrospective as the final disc I thought I would ever buy from them. I figured the relationship had come to an end, and that show would be a fitting end for us.......but I was dead wrong.

When The Holographic Principle came out - I didn't give it a second thought. Just another Epica disc being released. Man, was i wrong. Todd told me that I needed this disc. Bought it blind on his recommendation and I was floored. The disc absolutely blew me away and anything they have done in many years. The added acoustic bonus disc was the icing on the cake. Brilliant. I don't remember an Epica disc jumping into my Top 10 list so fast and at all ........... I don't hold my breath for the future, but I will at least check out anything they put out, because in reality they are it for the genre, and this disc is absolutely refreshing.........

That said - I miss After Forever as well. But, like Epica, they started to fall into the samey category as well, and their last couple of releases were not even luke warm....you could tell the band was waning. Thanks to Glenn - we at least got to see them at PP, and that show was beyond special.

As far as Beauty & the Beast bands go - I'm with Sir Exar on this one. Only Draconian has consistently released quality B&B discs, but it seems to no one really gives a shit about that band except us. And that's a real shame.

I don't consider Sirenia a B&B band, but at least they are putting out quality discs, albeit heading into a more poppier territory which I think will kill it in the end for me........

The only other band that I know of, that has released a B&B disc in the last few years, is a band called KOWAI. The disc is called Dissonance. It's very well done, and even though it doesn't come close to the grandiose of AF or Epica, it's up there in quality.........

Past that - whip out your memories, I think it's all we have left of this genre........... :cry:

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:21 pm

The only other band that I know of, that has released a B&B disc in the last few years, is a band called KOWAI. The disc is called Dissonance. It's very well done, and even though it doesn't come close to the grandiose of AF or Epica, it's up there in quality.........

There is a lock band out of Cleveland called Blackthorne that I saw open up for Sonata Arctica last year who do pretty good B&B material. Funny part is, I was talking to them after the show and commented about how you don't see any B&B bands any more, and they had never even HEARD of that term! Younger kids unaware of the classics.... :)

I bought their CD, and it was OK for what it was, but they were better live.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Harvester

Postby Harvester » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:05 pm

My recommendation of Legenda Aurea's "Eon" fell on deaf ears around these parts last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpBpjAM0fXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt5rfuyYJT8

ElegyFan

Postby ElegyFan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:30 pm

Thanks everybody- even the Sonic Cathedral website looks exactly the same as it did when the genre was bigger. Did not see anything interesting there.
I will give Holographic Principle a spin again- I used to love 60-70 minute albums but now I am back to preferring much shorter albums. Probably because I am listening to my old vinyl again.

elendil

Postby elendil » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:01 pm

Silentium has shown flashes of brilliance. Anyone know what they're up to lately?

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:27 pm

elendil wrote:Silentium has shown flashes of brilliance. Anyone know what they're up to lately?

***If I'm not mistaken - Silentium ceased to exist many years ago ........... :cry:

elendil

Postby elendil » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:05 am

Alas!

Metal Archives lists them as "active," but nothing since 2008: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Silentium/1406 .

Return to “PM: Core”