Anubis Gate - Covered in Black (September 1, 2017)

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

outprogged42

Anubis Gate - Covered in Black (September 1, 2017)

Postby outprogged42 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:06 pm

Their darkest, proggiest and maybe heaviest album ever. With two three-part suites among 10 songs.

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/de ... sid=135976

Knowing what Kim's been through recently (i.e. why PPUSA got canceled) I don't doubt that the emotional content of this disc will be spot-on. Anubis Gate gets better with every album so I do have high hopes for where this one will land in my rankings.

Mardoch

Re: Anubis Gate - Covered in Black (September 1, 2017)

Postby Mardoch » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:01 am

Dark Anubis Gate sounds absolutely amazing, imo. After getting that press release in my inbox I listened to the last two albums and re-remembered how stunning they are.

I cannot wait for this one.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:58 am

+1

I picked up the reissue box set they put out via Kickstarter, and was impressed at how good the back catalgoue was also. Very excited to hear new material.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:02 pm

"darker and more complex" sounds good to me. I really like Horizons quite a lot as it is. Bring it on!
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

venidominefan

Postby venidominefan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:41 pm

Promo video...sounds killer!

http://youtu.be/VZ3fIU3a7ac
This is your brain on guitar... :lol:
Bandcamp >
CDBaby >
Soundcloud >

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:25 pm

That teaser definitely has my interest. Seems like their hot streak will be in tact.

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:28 am

That first clip sounded like Scar Symmetry and the last clip sounded like Yes.

Rarely can a band combine those sounds so effectively as these guys.

BumZen

Postby BumZen » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:41 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:+1
I picked up the reissue box set they put out via Kickstarter, and was impressed at how good the back catalgoue was also. Very excited to hear new material.

I already have the first 3 albums, and was never a big fan of Detached but is the extra material worth anything of note in the Orbits box set? I'm a huge fan of Torben Askholm, so that era has the most interest.
Skambamse

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:35 pm

I'm a huge fan of Torben Askholm, so that era has the most interest.

***Same here - I haven't had the same interest since he left........ I "liked" what they are doing now, but I was all on board when Torben was singing ........there was something mystical about that combination ........

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:13 pm

LarryD wrote:

***Same here - I haven't had the same interest since he left........ I "liked" what they are doing now, but I was all on board when Torben was singing ........there was something mystical about that combination ........

That's interesting, cause he's the one vocalist they've had that I find unlistenable. Everything after him is good stuff, though.

BumZen

Postby BumZen » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:48 am

LarryD wrote:

Ever heard any of his previous work? Most of it is impossible to get a hold of, but Prophets of Doom - Access to Wisdom is an overlooked semi techy thrash classic. Fantastic album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et9pmv4wtO4
Skambamse

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:16 pm

Haven't seen much feedback on the new Anubis Gate once the full disc became available. Am I the only one NOT impressed? The last couple of songs were really good, but the rest of the album did not do anything for me on first listen. The first track had too much of a modern electronica sound to it, then the songs got fairly dull and lifeless, before finishing the album stronger on the last two. There is a cool Pink Floyd vibe to a couple of the tracks that I genuinely dig, but the songwriting on this disc loses me in a lot of places......

On the other hand, this almost feels a bit like the first time hearing QR's Promised Land, where it's not at all what I expected, but there also might be something really quite brilliant in here that just hasn't registered yet. Maybe it just takes a few spins.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:44 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:Haven't seen much feedback on the new Anubis Gate once the full disc became available. Am I the only one NOT impressed? The last couple of songs were really good, but the rest of the album did not do anything for me on first listen. The first track had too much of a modern electronica sound to it, then the songs got fairly dull and lifeless, before finishing the album stronger on the last two. There is a cool Pink Floyd vibe to a couple of the tracks that I genuinely dig, but the songwriting on this disc loses me in a lot of places......

On the other hand, this almost feels a bit like the first time hearing QR's Promised Land, where it's not at all what I expected, but there also might be something really quite brilliant in here that just hasn't registered yet. Maybe it just takes a few spins.

I'm very happy with it. AG just hasn't been what I've been hankering for lately so it hasn't gotten a ton of spins since the initial several.

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:43 am

I found it to be a big time grower. The more I've played it the more I've been reaching for it again. It's funny others mentioned the cd finishing strong. I totally agree the last 3 tracks stand out the most - probably the intense vocal melodies. Although I think the first track might be my favorite now.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:39 am

Operation Cairo is a killer track!
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Return to “PM: Core”