So is anyone else in a musical rut this year besides me ?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

So is anyone else in a musical rut this year besides me ?

Postby LarryD » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:40 am

I've been going back to the oldies to compensate for the lack of prog metal releases this year ....... unless you're Mardoch, there isn't much for me this year in the way of melodic prog metal ........

Normally, at this time of year, we can put together a half of a list - and then when Prog Power arrives, things start to heat up again............

Anyone else in a rut like me ? Or is it my old, picky, rigid standards keeping me from enjoying what everyone else is deeming "awesome" at the moment ?

Talk to me ...........

Nos

Re: So is anyone else in a musical rut this year besides me ?

Postby Nos » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:08 pm

If I was deep into prog metal, I would probably agree with you. I can't think of much in that mold that has caught my interest at all. However, I'm not the most metal of people anyway, so I've found plenty of stuff in other genres to enjoy. In fact, while there are more downright awful releases this year than usual (*cough*PainOfSalvation*cough*), I've got a solid number of ones I really love. I would recommend them to you, but I know they aren't going to be your thing. I can if you want, though.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:56 pm

Nos wrote:If I was deep into prog metal, I would probably agree with you. I can't think of much in that mold that has caught my interest at all. However, I'm not the most metal of people anyway, so I've found plenty of stuff in other genres to enjoy. In fact, while there are more downright awful releases this year than usual (*cough*PainOfSalvation*cough*), I've got a solid number of ones I really love. I would recommend them to you, but I know they aren't going to be your thing. I can if you want, though.

***Thanks for the offer - but I know I wouldn't like most of the hard rock stuff you like ...... and I've got Stevie pumping that genre into me and Guillaume pumping the heavier power metal into me as well ....... but my go to genres, Neo-Prog & Female fronted metal, have all but dried up .....leaving me a crocodile in a aging, drying up swamp just basically waiting for me to have to move onto greener pastures..........

Over the years - Ken has directed me to some incredible Prog Rock - but I'm really picky about that genre, so it's time consuming to cover that large area ...... but I think that's where I'm heading next .... back to the Prog Rock genre to try to discover more gems........

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:05 pm

LarryD wrote:unless you're Mardoch

Hah! Got my number, eh?

I feel bad for you guys who aren't finding goodies in the styles you like. I felt like a handful of the late 00s were quite weak and it was a real bummer. This year I'm still riding high, though. I'm sure it won't last forever, but here's to hoping.

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:37 pm

Nothing kicking my butt yet this year either. Setting myself up for disappointment with super high expectations for the Soul Secret - upcoming release. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. My top 6 from 2015 still haven't left my car rotation. Now that was a great year!

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:05 pm

Lots of GOOD things, but very few GREAT things so far. Probably my favorite has been the new Ayreon, but even with that I feel like if that's the best the year has to offer, it's been a pretty slow year. Still and all, new Leprous around the corner, hopefully the new Threshold, new Kingcrow.... Strong potential for a better second half of the year.

What has been good this year has been the more straightforward melodic rock/metal. Recent discs like Labyrinth, Jorn, and Ferrymen have all been very solid albums, albeit not spectacular ones.

I've been doing the same thing as Larry..... Revisiting a lot of old stuff this year mixed into the few new things landing.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:39 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:Lots of GOOD things, but very few GREAT things so far. Probably my favorite has been the new Ayreon, but even with that I feel like if that's the best the year has to offer, it's been a pretty slow year. Still and all, new Leprous around the corner, hopefully the new Threshold, new Kingcrow.... Strong potential for a better second half of the year.

What has been good this year has been the more straightforward melodic rock/metal. Recent discs like Labyrinth, Jorn, and Ferrymen have all been very solid albums, albeit not spectacular ones.

I've been doing the same thing as Larry..... Revisiting a lot of old stuff this year mixed into the few new things landing.

**** I agree with you .... the Ayreon is probably the best thing to come out this year, but it's not GREAT ....... The Ferrymen is really good, but again, I'd rather play the Lords of Black to hear Ronnie sing. Everyone is downing the Jorn so I'm staying clear - and I'm not interested in Labyrinth anymore.......

I still say -- the best thing that has come out this year is the Vanden Plas DVD / CD set from Prog Power ... and that is 6 years old !!!!! The Pendragon DVD is the next best thing after it ..... I don't remember a time when DVD releases were better than CD releases........but I'm running with it .........

I'm holding out for the Threshold and Kingcrow as well ..... so all is not lost...........we still have 6 months to go -- so I'm hoping that things pick up around Prog power, which they usually do .......

Harvester

Postby Harvester » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:13 pm

Sticking to your same old bread & butter (aka melodic prog & the ladies)....

First tier:

Bare Infinity
Daydream XI (to be released)
Disperse
Kobra & the Lotus
Need
Prospekt (to be released)
Soen
Tetrafusion
Voyager

Second tier:

Cellar Darling
Kobra & the Lotus
Lonely Robot
Odd Logic
Stardust
Vicinity
The Vicious Head Society

Other than Voyager & Need, how many have you given a good listen to?

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:20 pm

First tier:
Persefone
MindMaze
Disperse
Pain of Salvation
Pyramaze

Second tier:
Anathema
Tetrafusion
Ayreon
Voyager
Need

Nos

Postby Nos » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:37 am

Harvester wrote:First tier:

Soen

As far as metal goes, especially of the proggy variety, this is absolutely my favorite of the year. It's better modern Opeth than Opeth.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:31 am

Glenn.....thanks for posting those...... I need to track down the ones that have been released...... I should have spoken to the Voyager in my initial post...... Of the others, the only one I actually listened to in depth is the Bare Infinity, which I don't think is as good as the previous one..... I,definitely want the Odd Logic and I want to try the Disperse...... I streamed Vicious Head Society and liked it...... Ill hunt down the others and come back to that list........ Did not care for the last Lonely Robot, not holding my breath for this new one........

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:43 am

Harvester wrote:Sticking to your same old bread & butter (aka melodic prog & the ladies)....

First tier:

Bare Infinity
Disperse
Kobra & the Lotus
Need
Soen
Tetrafusion
Voyager

Second tier:

Cellar Darling
Kobra & the Lotus
Lonely Robot
Odd Logic
Stardust
Vicinity
The Vicious Head Society

Did you already hear both Prevail I and II from Kobra & the Lotus, hence the reason the band is listed on both "tiers"? Prevail I is excellent. Looking forward to the 2nd part.

devomeister

Postby devomeister » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:50 am

My bench hasn't been nearly as deep the past couple of years, but the starting lineup remains rock-solid. Of course, my list is always fairly different than most.

Larry, if I may... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EVsjKgaPYk seems right up your alley.
Check out my professional portfolio:
https://chris_devo.artstation.com/

Check out my art blog:
http://chrisdevosartblog.blogspot.com/

Harvester

Postby Harvester » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:59 am

Guillaume wrote:
Harvester wrote:Sticking to your same old bread & butter (aka melodic prog & the ladies)....

First tier:

Bare Infinity
Disperse
Kobra & the Lotus
Need
Soen
Tetrafusion
Voyager

Second tier:

Cellar Darling
Kobra & the Lotus
Lonely Robot
Odd Logic
Stardust
Vicinity
The Vicious Head Society

Did you already hear both Prevail I and II from Kobra & the Lotus, hence the reason the band is listed on both "tiers"? Prevail I is excellent. Looking forward to the 2nd part.

Nope. That was a fuck up. Second tier.

Testofwills

Postby Testofwills » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:58 pm

My tastes are quite heavier and for me theres been plenty of purtrid deth metal to keep me happy...but for Prog metal the Voyager is quite the monster for me...top ten action for the year for sure....also seeing Fates Warning live really blew me away on how awesome they sounded... :D

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:56 pm

Yep, I'm in a prog metal rut as well. I'm not sure if it's the lack of top shelf releases or me or both. I always go through cycles of burn out on a particular style and just explore other styles until it passes. I've always kind of liked prog rock, but it never got any serious listening time because I was always more into metal. Lately I've really been listening to a lot of prog rock that I passed over in the past and am really enjoying it.
Güy

elendil

Postby elendil » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:58 pm

LarryD wrote:
Nos wrote:If I was deep into prog metal, I would probably agree with you. I can't think of much in that mold that has caught my interest at all. However, I'm not the most metal of people anyway, so I've found plenty of stuff in other genres to enjoy. In fact, while there are more downright awful releases this year than usual (*cough*PainOfSalvation*cough*), I've got a solid number of ones I really love. I would recommend them to you, but I know they aren't going to be your thing. I can if you want, though.

***Thanks for the offer - but I know I wouldn't like most of the hard rock stuff you like ...... and I've got Stevie pumping that genre into me and Guillaume pumping the heavier power metal into me as well ....... but my go to genres, Neo-Prog & Female fronted metal, have all but dried up .....leaving me a crocodile in a aging, drying up swamp just basically waiting for me to have to move onto greener pastures..........

Over the years - Ken has directed me to some incredible Prog Rock - but I'm really picky about that genre, so it's time consuming to cover that large area ...... but I think that's where I'm heading next .... back to the Prog Rock genre to try to discover more gems........

Partly inspired by the Weigel book, lately I've been scouring what I've missed in pre-1980 prog. Latest nice finds: Van der Graaf Generator, _Pawn Hearts_ (heavy & weird, a bit Crimson-y but also proto-goth) & Frank Zappa, _Hot Rats_ (jazzy & technical, good solos).

EnchantED

Postby EnchantED » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:22 am

I'm also in a musical rut this year. Not much lush, melodic prog metal produced anymore these days unfortunately.

One album stood out for me this year: Secret Sphere – The Nature of Time.

They have transformed from power metal to prog metal and made a beautiful, colorful, well-rounded record with lush production, and with the nuanced performances and instrumental layering, I’m still making discoveries ten dozen or so listens later.

Highly recommended if you like melodic prog metal!

MitchG

Postby MitchG » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:22 pm

devomeister wrote:My bench hasn't been nearly as deep the past couple of years, but the starting lineup remains rock-solid. Of course, my list is always fairly different than most.

Larry, if I may... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EVsjKgaPYk seems right up your alley.

Your list is always one that I find of interest....so please feel free to share. :)
-MG
"This day is overrated now that I'm awake"

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:53 pm

Heh.

Well...it's sure a quality of quantity year for me so far
Anathema-TheOptimist is what I had hoped it would be for me ...even with some cool electronic twists and anot ode in a way ton their earlier daarker early last decade sound in spots...

Voyager-TheGhost Mile is by far their best and it takes them to the next level for me

Persefone-Aathma ...a blend of everything in our scene I love in one disk

Nightflight Orchestra-

A few classic thrash bands put out good disks

Other than that is has been barren for sure...
The good thing is that the great releasss (for me)can carry me for long periods of time
Tarja is a female woman

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:18 am

LarryD wrote:Glenn.....thanks for posting those...... I need to track down the ones that have been released...... I should have spoken to the Voyager in my initial post...... Of the others, the only one I actually listened to in depth is the Bare Infinity, which I don't think is as good as the previous one..... I,definitely want the Odd Logic and I want to try the Disperse...... I streamed Vicious Head Society and liked it...... Ill hunt down the others and come back to that list........ Did not care for the last Lonely Robot, not holding my breath for this new one........

The Disperse is the first thing you should try off that list as it is truly essential. Stuff this mellow tends not to finish this high since my background is in the harder realms like Voyager and Pyramaze are. However, the musicianship is outstanding and the sense of sorrow mixed with joy and this heartbreaking emotional vulnerability really sell the disc for me. I can hardly see Disperse matching this one in the future.

EnchantED

Postby EnchantED » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:44 am

outprogged42 wrote:
The Disperse is the first thing you should try off that list as it is truly essential. Stuff this mellow tends not to finish this high since my background is in the harder realms like Voyager and Pyramaze are. However, the musicianship is outstanding and the sense of sorrow mixed with joy and this heartbreaking emotional vulnerability really sell the disc for me. I can hardly see Disperse matching this one in the future.

The djent killed it for me. The first album of Disperse is pure awesomeness. But then the modern djent came and took the beauty away...

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:13 am

First off, shame on ME for forgetting the new Need album, which is probably my album of the year so far..... Neck and neck with Ayreon, and if it weren't for the goofy dialogue track on Need, they'd win hands down.

**** I agree with you .... the Ayreon is probably the best thing to come out this year, but it's not GREAT ....... The Ferrymen is really good, but again, I'd rather play the Lords of Black to hear Ronnie sing. Everyone is downing the Jorn so I'm staying clear - and I'm not interested in Labyrinth anymore.......

I still say -- the best thing that has come out this year is the Vanden Plas DVD / CD set from Prog Power ... and that is 6 years old !!!!! The Pendragon DVD is the next best thing after it ..... I don't remember a time when DVD releases were better than CD releases........but I'm running with it .........

Jorn is actually pretty good, his best in a long while. I will say this though.... As much as Jorn has always had the Whitesnake influence down pat, on this one Alex completely NAILS the lead guitar tones straight from Doug Aldrich. Soloing sounds EXACTLY like Whitesnake. Overall, it's another solid album.

The Pendragon DVD was interesting, in that it only highlighted for me just how odd the last album really sounds compared to the rest of the catalogue. Take in particular the second half of the set, when they stick "Nostradamus" smack between two new songs.... It sounds SO jarringly out of place. The new material still drags heavily, even in a live setting....
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:27 pm

EnchantED wrote:The djent killed it for me. The first album of Disperse is pure awesomeness. But then the modern djent came and took the beauty away...

There is so much less djent on this album than Living Mirrors, with that said.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:24 pm

outprogged42 wrote:
EnchantED wrote:The djent killed it for me. The first album of Disperse is pure awesomeness. But then the modern djent came and took the beauty away...

***And that's exactly why I want to check this disc out ..........

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:53 pm

LarryD wrote:
outprogged42 wrote:

***And that's exactly why I want to check this disc out ..........

In fact, most of the second half barely qualifies as metal at all. I put the disc under prog-metal in my library because I don't have anything better to call it.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:55 pm

In fact, most of the second half barely qualifies as metal at all. I put the disc under prog-metal in my library because I don't have anything better to call it.

***That's ok .... I've been wanting to get into this band for some time, and I know the guitarist is killer. Trying to get into some jazzy, fusion type prog as of late..... this seems like a great place to start........ I know someone will come along and tell me I need to check out Tetrafusion ..... which I will .............

Judas

Postby Judas » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:58 am

I wish Tool would release a new album.

Musicaholic

Postby Musicaholic » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:38 am

Well I have been due to abstinence (more or less) but haven't given up my addiction to reading forums/websites on music...

But what's doing it for me is nostalgia being that I'm a child of the 80s. I don't know if it's the revival of 80s themed shows like Stranger Things or the revival of Twin Peaks or the movie "Drive" (2011) I think around the time synthwave or retro-newave started coming up, but I'll just offer a few albums off the top of my head that got me back into relapsing. I've always yearned for the keyboard melodies of neo-prog Marillion/Arena but with more of an 80s feel, so SynthWave has taken me out of a rut:

Highway Superstar - Endgame ~ SOLID ALBUM
https://rossocorsarecords.bandcamp.com/album/endgame
Fav tracks: Cast Away (feat. Dana Jean Phoenix), Dream Diary (feat. Honey Colonna)

Dana Jean Pheonix - Le Mirage - Queen of Synthwave
https://danajeanphoenix.bandcamp.com/album/le-mirage
Fav tracks: Le Mirage, Get it Tonight, Komplicated

Sunglasses Kid - Graduation ~ Another Solid album
https://sunglasseskid.bandcamp.com/album/graduation
Fav tracks: 80s Baby (feat. Rhyme Time and Geneva), Can't Hide (feat. Miranda Carey)

Le Cassette - Left to Our Own Devices ~ think Depeche Mode with a Rick Astley type smooth and silky voice
https://telefuturenow.bandcamp.com/albu ... wn-devices
Fav tracks: Digital Power, Arms of Mine, Radio

My personal favorite that got me into a major relapse of repeating tracks up to a dozen times or edging on the 'earworms' is the all instrumental

Mitch Murder - The Real Deal (the King of Synthwave melodies, as much of a genius as Steve Wilson is to his kind of evocative music)
https://dxseven.bandcamp.com/album/the-real-deal

Sonically cradling you with deep and honest 80's emotions Mitch Murder creates addictive retro synth masterpieces. As the story goes Mitch is an overworked Wall Street I.T. from the 80's who dreams at night other realities for himself. These are the soundtrack to his dreams.

‘The Real Deal EP’ is a throwback to the golden days of Wall Street and the five tracks were written “with the intention of re-creating that 80s Wall Street feeling; the feeling a stockbroker gets when scoring a deal.”
Musicaholic - A person who can't stop playing/listening to music.

MitchG

Postby MitchG » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:53 am

Judas wrote:I wish Tool would release a new album.

I assume this is a robo-message that you have set to auto-post every six months for the next few years? :)
-MG

Musicaholic

Postby Musicaholic » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:27 pm

The thing I like about Tool is that the major complaint by fans is that they haven't released a stinker yet. Its been what almost 10 years now since 10,000 Days?

I like that about Extreme as well. Nuno Bentacourt was busy playing for Rihanna and doing the Pornograffiti tour. Saudades de Rock was released almost 10 years ago as well. I'd love for them to do a III Sides to Every Story tour as that's when I first got into them when the album was released in the early 90s. They are supposed to come with a new album out this year.

Well today in recovery my musical relapse, I was listening to synthwave again and those damn earworms got stuck in my head throughout the day. Very distracting, now looks like music addiction is confirmed by psychologists. I might go back to lurk mode or even go back for an abstinence period. Definately not listening to music in the car or gym, gotta find a group to figure out coping mechanisms. :lol:

With all the glut of music out there I think it's good that bands don't release stuff too much for artistic appeal. I remember when Dream Theater came out and their album stinkers started to bring out the worst in fans, same with Opeth, Pain of Salvation...

I know internet streaming has messed up with the excitement of discovering new music. I think a musical fast for a period will reset the dopamine/seratonin receptors in your brain and listening to it again will get you out of that rut.
Musicaholic - A person who can't stop playing/listening to music.

Judas

Postby Judas » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:49 pm

MitchG wrote:
Judas wrote:I wish Tool would release a new album.

I assume this is a robo-message that you have set to auto-post every six months for the next few years? :)

:D :D :D

You got me there.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:58 pm

Come on Art - stick around ........... the best is yet to come !!!!!!! We have 6 more months to go -- lots will happen in that time ..............

MitchG

Postby MitchG » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:22 am

Musicaholic wrote:Well I have been due to abstinence (more or less) but haven't given up my addiction to reading forums/websites on music...

But what's doing it for me is nostalgia being that I'm a child of the 80s. I don't know if it's the revival of 80s themed shows like Stranger Things or the revival of Twin Peaks or the movie "Drive" (2011) I think around the time synthwave or retro-newave started coming up, but I'll just offer a few albums off the top of my head that got me back into relapsing.

Ha, more power to you man. I checked some of these out but found the stuff a little too cheesy and dated sounding for my tastes. In some cases it almost comes across as parody to my ears. Still, fun to see all of the crazy sub-genres that are out there (and FWIW I loved the Stranger Things soundtrack...felt like they were doing it right). For my retro-80s style fix, I prefer the slightly updated new-wave-synth stuff, like Porches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhG83uHDMkI
-MG

ElegyFan

Postby ElegyFan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:12 pm

I keep pulling out "Theories of Flight". Right now I am listening to Ark so I guess I am too.

Return to “PM: Core”