http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... me-w486923

Many I have never heard...

Of Course, I like very much the position #78 :wink:
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Nos

Re: The 100 Greatest Metal Albums of All Time according to Rolling Stone magazine

Postby Nos » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:35 pm

I like very few of those, which is why I seldom refer to myself as a metal fan. I also will never get the love for all things Ozzy. I would rank "Heaven & Hell" much higher than they did, and I would find room somewhere on the list for Trouble's self-titled and Dan Swano's "Moontower". Plus, there's the little fact that "The Chemical Wedding" might just be the greatest metal record ever made.

Stevie WOnder

Re: The 100 Greatest Metal Albums of All Time according to Rolling Stone magazine

Postby Stevie WOnder » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:02 pm

When Pig Destroyer comes before Images and Words, you know there's something wrong.

They got most of the classics right but there are way too many hipster discs. I gotta mention I'm happy they put in my fave Manowar disc with Hail to England. :mrgreen:

Still, fun read...
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:51 pm

Not even worth a theory or explanation .......... that was total crap.

MitchG

Postby MitchG » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:42 pm

It's certainly not the list I would put together, but it's more respectable than I would have expected from RS. Lots of stuff I have no use for on the list, and lots missing but it's not a travesty.

Now, their ranking of SNL cast members a few years back...*that* was a travesty.
-MG
"This day is overrated now that I'm awake"

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:48 pm

MitchG wrote:It's certainly not the list I would put together, but it's more respectable than I would have expected from RS. Lots of stuff I have no use for on the list, and lots missing but it's not a travesty.

Indeed. Lots of crap, but plenty of classic killer albums made the list.

elendil

Postby elendil » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:52 pm

I stopped reading when they put Once as the best Nightwish album.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:39 am

elendil wrote:I stopped reading when they put Once as the best Nightwish album.

Which would you rank? I'm not offended by the choice of Once as it's probably my favorite.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:21 pm

Let's face it -- most of those writers are young and naive ...... and have not lived or experienced the "real" metal years ........ some of them appear to have gotten a grasp on some of the gems, but for the most part, it's a modern day perspective ......... I've seen Rolling Stone butcher "the best of" many times ..... so I take anything they write with a grain ..........

elendil

Postby elendil » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:26 am

Mardoch wrote:

Which would you rank? I'm not offended by the choice of Once as it's probably my favorite.

Oh really? Tastes differ greatly, I suppose. I think it's between _Oceanborn_ & _Wishmaster_.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:08 pm

elendil wrote:
Mardoch wrote:

Oh really? Tastes differ greatly, I suppose. I think it's between _Oceanborn_ & _Wishmaster_.

Indeed they do...would be boring otherwise. I like those two a lot as well.

elendil

Postby elendil » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:38 pm

I might just have to take another listen to Once to see what it was I didn't so much like about it... It's been a few years.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:28 pm

elendil wrote:I might just have to take another listen to Once to see what it was I didn't so much like about it... It's been a few years.

***I'm throwing my vote in for ONCE as well ....... check it out again and get back to us ..............

sez

Postby sez » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:25 pm

I also would have said Oceanborn or Wishmaster before Once came out, and then Once blew them away.

elendil

Postby elendil » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:44 pm

It was fun listening to Once again after having ignored it for a decade or more. That said, I was reminded of what bothered me about it before. I dislike the highly compressed production and the reliance on downtuned, staccato rhythm guitar riffs. It's certainly not nu-metal (them's fightin' words), but the heavier tracks undeniably gesture in that direction. At the same time, "Nemo" and to a lesser extent "Ghost Love Score" are among the best work they've done, at least in terms of the basic melodic ideas.

My favorite aspect of Nightwish was always the shreddy, neobaroque keyboard and lead guitar runs characteristic of older pieces like "Gethsemane" and "Sacrament of Wilderness," and those are totally gone here.

I may end up picking it up if I can find it cheap, or I may just buy the songs I like (contrary to my usual, album-oriented practice). And I concede putting Once tops in their discography is not as crazy as, say, putting Century Child there. ;)

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:21 pm

And I concede putting Once tops in their discography is not as crazy as, say, putting Century Child there.

Now THEM'S fightin' words!!! What's wrong with "Century Child"??? I'd honestly have to go back and listen to the whole catalogue again to even try to name my single favorite, but I know this one is up there..... Nightwish has gone through enough different styles over the years it's really hard to pinpoint one single album. The two albums with Annette are completely different than the first three with Tarja, yet I love both.

Honestly (and this is just plain SAD), I would probably say the new one with Floor is my LEAST favorite, and given how much I love Floor's vocals this is very surprising..... We've all harped on that disc enough that I won't revisit it, but suffice to say I want to hear an album where they let her unload vocally, instead of holding back.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:29 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:Honestly (and this is just plain SAD), I would probably say the new one with Floor is my LEAST favorite, and given how much I love Floor's vocals this is very surprising..... We've all harped on that disc enough that I won't revisit it, but suffice to say I want to hear an album where they let her unload vocally, instead of holding back.

This is what I am hoping for. An explosive Floor paired with classic Nightwish writing would be enough to win me back. However...I don't see that happening.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:35 pm

Honestly (and this is just plain SAD), I would probably say the new one with Floor is my LEAST favorite, and given how much I love Floor's vocals this is very surprising..... We've all harped on that disc enough that I won't revisit it, but suffice to say I want to hear an album where they let her unload vocally, instead of holding back..

****Of all the musical pairings we've been through over the years -- this one has to be the weirdest for us. Let's say for argument sake, that most of us loved Tarja. Let's face it - if you didn't you wouldn't be listening to Nightwish right ?

Tarja leaves - we go through Annette - and for the record, I loved the work she did in Nightwish and her solo disc is excellent. She leaves. We all knew that Floor would be a perfect fit for that band. Again - we are all Floor fans for the most part. She finally becomes a full time member, and ----- crickets. No one really talks about the band now. We bought the discs - we saw the shows - we saw the DVDs - but they slid by (us anyway) without much ado ..........

Go figure. It just doesn't add up. She gets in the band - we don't care for her vocal style. I believe we have just had a chemistry lesson if you ask me ...... :wink:

elendil

Postby elendil » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:45 pm

TBQH, I haven't listened to a Nightwish album since that 2007 one. I didn't even know Floor Jansen had joined the band. Partly (mostly?) that is just my being out of the music loop entirely for a while, but partly it's a result of a band's losing fans once they release a couple of mediocre albums and seem to have lost the originality & freshness of their early work. I'm rooting for them of course, but I'm not surprised Floor hasn't rejuvenated things since the best After Forever albums were also their first two (IMHO of course - not that the last three were bad, but again... not as "fresh").

elendil

Postby elendil » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:18 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
And I concede putting Once tops in their discography is not as crazy as, say, putting Century Child there.

Now THEM'S fightin' words!!! What's wrong with "Century Child"??? I'd honestly have to go back and listen to the whole catalogue again to even try to name my single favorite, but I know this one is up there..... Nightwish has gone through enough different styles over the years it's really hard to pinpoint one single album. The two albums with Annette are completely different than the first three with Tarja, yet I love both.

Honestly (and this is just plain SAD), I would probably say the new one with Floor is my LEAST favorite, and given how much I love Floor's vocals this is very surprising..... We've all harped on that disc enough that I won't revisit it, but suffice to say I want to hear an album where they let her unload vocally, instead of holding back.

Heh heh... I seem to have stepped in it again! I will concede this... "Ever Dream" might just be the best song they've ever written.

sez

Postby sez » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:49 pm

Now THEM'S fightin' words!!! What's wrong with "Century Child"???

Okay; I'll bite here. I was really thrown by Century Child when it came out, and I still think it's the 2nd weakest Tarja release (next to Angels Fall First). The inclusion of the duets between Tarja and the bassist left me cold, as I certainly think Tarja was quite capable of carrying the vocals herself and didn't need any help. I always thought Marco's vocals detracted from the overall effect, as there's nothing unique about his voice and he doesn't even harmonize with Tarja (Kiske/Somerville do a better job of actually creating something together, manufactured songs and all). Marco always sounded constipated to me. :D

Added to this is the longest string of filler/crappy tracks on any Nightwish album (Forever Yours, Ocean Soul, Feel for You, and Phantom of the Opera--because it's so badly executed and Tarja and Marco are so mismatched), and the result is a huge disappointment, especially after two stellar releases that had no fillers. I was really glad they got back on track with Once.

Return to “PM: Core”