Serious Black - Magic 8/25...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Hearing Aid Man

Serious Black - Magic 8/25...

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:15 pm

Interesting box set coming out for this one.

- Ltd. Digipak (The limited 2-CD Digipak contains the bonus CD "Live in Atlanta".)
- exclusive acoustic CD "First Light" - only available in this boxset
- witchboard with planchette (exclusive design)
- 22 tarot cards (exclusive design)
- Listener's companion written by Urban Breed
- certificate of authenticity

Nos

Re: Serious Black - Magic 8/25...

Postby Nos » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:40 am

I loved the last album, but is anyone else concerned by how quickly this is coming out?

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:26 am

I loved the last album, but is anyone else concerned by how quickly this is coming out?

Little bit, yes..... Both albums have been good so far, but I don't think they have achieved their potential yet.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:05 pm

Nos

Postby Nos » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:41 am

The new song is ok, but not great. I thought the singles were the worst tracks on the last album, so I'm not writing it off yet.

Manuel Cedeno

Postby Manuel Cedeno » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:12 pm

This may be a bit off topic but listening to this song I can't help but notice how much Urban Breed's sound has changed since the early days. I'm probably alone in the universe with this one, but I think that Urban Breed's best performance was Tad Morose's A Mended Rhyme album. He has never sounded the same after that. His subsequent releases with Tad Morose are highly regarded and for good reason but in those albums the band adapted to him, in A Mended Rhyme it was the other way around; he was outside of his comfort zone with that Prog, and it just worked for me. Yes, the album has some lows but when it shines it's classic.

Now I'm in the mood for some early Tad Morose (1993-1997). Man those atmospheric keyboards on top of that mid tempo crunch is some good stuff.....and there I go off topic again.

ralfwalter

Postby ralfwalter » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:54 pm

I made the mistake of ordering this on LP and the other LPs I could get at the same time. It seems nothing will ship (from Germany, no less) from the vendor until it can all ship together. Makes me a wee bit sad but I'll live.

Nos

Postby Nos » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:26 pm

The album is good. I'm not excited about it being a concept, but the music is good, with a few King Diamond moments to it. I prefer "Mirrorworld" to this one, but the gap isn't huge.

And yes, Urban does sing less at full volume than he used to.

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:27 pm

farren

Postby farren » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:56 pm

Manuel Cedeno wrote:This may be a bit off topic but listening to this song I can't help but notice how much Urban Breed's sound has changed since the early days. I'm probably alone in the universe with this one, but I think that Urban Breed's best performance was Tad Morose's A Mended Rhyme album. He has never sounded the same after that. His subsequent releases with Tad Morose are highly regarded and for good reason but in those albums the band adapted to him, in A Mended Rhyme it was the other way around; he was outside of his comfort zone with that Prog, and it just worked for me. Yes, the album has some lows but when it shines it's classic.

Now I'm in the mood for some early Tad Morose (1993-1997). Man those atmospheric keyboards on top of that mid tempo crunch is some good stuff.....and there I go off topic again.

*continues off-topic*

A Mended Rhyme is my favorite, too. The 'lows' (the doom-influenced stuff, right?) serve as a calming break from the standouts like the title track, Circut Vision, Time of No Sun and Guest of the Inquisition in my opinion. People tend to either think things went uphill from AMR to Modus Vivendi, or downhill from AMR. What's interesting is Urban says he wrote Guest of the Inquisition and Time of No Sun (with Krunt only changing the timing of the verse riff in the latter), two synth-heavy tracks which aren't the sort of thing they ever revisited. I'm not sure he contributed to other songs--I only asked him about those two as they are some of my favorites. This was a few years ago and he added he was also very fond on Time of No Sun and intended to cover it live sometime. As far as I know, that never happened. Urban is a bit of a character so who knows...

After that, straight power metal... Undead is very good, Matters of the Dark is solid, and Modus has a few tracks I like. I don't know how much Urban is to blame, though. After all, they kept doing the dark power metal thing after him. Ronny the 'new' guy is quite talented, though his voice grates on me a bit. I think it's that suspiciously perfect vibrato which, if it isn't a product of pitch-bending, makes him among the greatest operatic virtuosos to ever grace the earth. It's just not normal for timbre to stay the same while applying wide vibrato.

Exhibit A: Beneath a Veil of Crying Souls. Cool song, though.

Hearing Aid Man wrote:Another tune...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M86VO0-XCYQ

Oh no...

Return to “PM: Core”