Bjorn Riis - Forever Comes to an End .......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Bjorn Riis - Forever Comes to an End .......

Postby LarryD » Mon May 29, 2017 5:41 pm

I think there are 3 people in our circle who know this guy ....... me, Stevie, and Ken.

Bjorn Riis is the guitarist for the Norweigan Neo-Prog band AIRBAG. They are a Pink Floyd influenced band with 4 discs under their belt. Bjorn Riis is the songwriter / guitarist for Airbag, and this is his 2nd solo effort. His last disc, "Lullabye in a Car Crash" was superb. Pink Floyd influenced Neo-Prog with some gloomy undertones making it beautifully dark. The last Airbag disc, "Disconnected" did just that ... it disconnected me from the band.... it was not up to their previous releases, and I wait for their next gem. In the meantime, Bjorn Riis released his 2nd solo effort and this one is a crash and burn effort that sees him going in a more, modern effort with that Pink Floyd effort but it doesn't have the emotion that his last one did. After 2 passes, I just put this one on the shelf and will wait for the next Airbag release in the hopes that one of them steps up to their former self and puts out a monster like they did before their last one ........

outprogged42

Re: Bjorn Riis - Forever Comes to an End .......

Postby outprogged42 » Tue May 30, 2017 7:24 pm

I enjoyed this disc, although it really doesn't sound all that different from Airbag to me. This kind of moody and laid-back prog-rock appeals to me nowadays as long as I am in the mood for it. If you aren't then this won't be for you.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed May 31, 2017 6:27 am

outprogged42 wrote:I enjoyed this disc, although it really doesn't sound all that different from Airbag to me. This kind of moody and laid-back prog-rock appeals to me nowadays as long as I am in the mood for it. If you aren't then this won't be for you.

***I think his previous disc was much better than this one ..... this one seems to be a little bit more "modern" than his previous one, and less emotional. 2 spins and it went right to the shelf. :cry:

LASERCD

Postby LASERCD » Wed May 31, 2017 7:32 am

LarryD wrote:
outprogged42 wrote:I enjoyed this disc, although it really doesn't sound all that different from Airbag to me. This kind of moody and laid-back prog-rock appeals to me nowadays as long as I am in the mood for it. If you aren't then this won't be for you.

***I think his previous disc was much better than this one ..... this one seems to be a little bit more "modern" than his previous one, and less emotional. 2 spins and it went right to the shelf. :cry:

Translation: it doesn't sound exactly like Pink Floyd any more. He changed his tone a bit and doesn't bear the David Gilmour imprint as overtly as before. I agree, more modern, more originality. I agree I enjoyed his last one more which wasn't really different than an Airbag album.

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Wed May 31, 2017 10:20 am

LASERCD wrote:
LarryD wrote:

Translation: it doesn't sound exactly like Pink Floyd any more. He changed his tone a bit and doesn't bear the David Gilmour imprint as overtly as before. I agree, more modern, more originality. I agree I enjoyed his last one more which wasn't really different than an Airbag album.

It's got nothing to do with the PF thing, it's just uninspired. Lack of melodies, cold sounding, huge solos are gone.... Same as the last Airbag.

I don't mind him progressing but it's not in the right direction from my point of view.
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed May 31, 2017 11:39 am

I'm going with both of those reasons....... The David Gilmour sound is gone, and it's place is a more modern, experimental sound........ The music is colder and more lifeless as well........ He hit a home run with his last disc, but struck out with this one......... I just hope the next Airbag is better then the last one too........

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:31 am

I'm really surprised by the negativity about this record. I don't really know the last one that well, so I can't compare. But this is a wonderful disc to my ears, full of warmth and atmosphere. Not quite as good as the current Airbag, but very close.

My detailed thoughts in case anyone is interested:

https://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/20 ... um-review/

Cheers,
Matt
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: http://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:39 pm

Man Of Much Metal wrote:I'm really surprised by the negativity about this record. I don't really know the last one that well, so I can't compare. But this is a wonderful disc to my ears, full of warmth and atmosphere. Not quite as good as the current Airbag, but very close.

My detailed thoughts in case anyone is interested:

https://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/20 ... um-review/

Cheers,
Matt

***Matt -- get his last disc, you will hear the difference. Worlds better than this one ....... Once you hear both, it's easy to decipher ............. this one is just plain lifeless.......

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:24 pm

I trust your judgement Larry. My only concern then is that maybe my mind will be blown by the previous disc, as I thought the new one was pretty amazing...if I don't reply further, my head has exploded!
Matt

The Man of Much Metal

The Blog Of Much Metal: http://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/

Return to “PM: Core”