Evergrey last night...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Testofwills

Evergrey last night...

Postby Testofwills » Mon May 29, 2017 12:28 pm

Quite a small crowd for Toronto...Maybe 120 people......They played and sounded great and were having a lot off fun on stage. The small crowd didn't seem to dampened their performance and the crowd was totally into it..Up to the encore every song was from the last 3 lps...

Encore was the final track from In Search of Truth, Some cool ballad from ISOT, Recreation Day,Touch of Blessing and I believe maybe 1 other track,,Odd that there was no Masterplan or a few more from ISOT....I guess their getting away from the older stuff as in 2015 they played quite abit of older stuff when I seen them with Voyager,,even did Nosfertu from Solitude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Random Axe

Re: Evergrey last night...

Postby Random Axe » Mon May 29, 2017 10:37 pm

I saw them on saturday. It may have been the venue or it could be their requests but damn they were too loud. The mix was a wall of noise with the vocal mics being way too hot. Did not enjoy the set at all. And yes the setlist was very heavy on the new one but that's fine, I get it.

My only reason for the journey was to see my bros in Ascendia and Need, and they brought it even through short sets. I could have left after they played and been content but it was great hanging out with all the bands till after 2am.

It was a seriously fulfilling trip I will not forget.

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Mon May 29, 2017 11:01 pm

Testofwills wrote:Quite a small crowd for Toronto...Maybe 120 people......They played and sounded great and were having a lot off fun on stage. The small crowd didn't seem to dampened their performance and the crowd was totally into it..Up to the encore every song was from the last 3 lps...

Encore was the final track from In Search of Truth, Some cool ballad from ISOT, Recreation Day,Touch of Blessing and I believe maybe 1 other track,,Odd that there was no Masterplan or a few more from ISOT....I guess their getting away from the older stuff as in 2015 they played quite abit of older stuff when I seen them with Voyager,,even did Nosfertu from Solitude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seeing this tomorrow. Small 200-people venue here, and not sold-out yet.... I'm coming for Evergrey and Ascendia, don't care for Need and Seven Kingdoms...

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Wed May 31, 2017 5:51 pm

I was there at the Quebec City show...

Glad to met Guillaume. It was the first time I see Evergrey. I'm not very much into the recent albums. Unfortunately for me, they played almost only recent songs (as mentioned by Testofwills). Very few songs from the first 5 albums which are my favorites.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:36 am

GaetanL wrote:I was there at the Quebec City show...

Glad to met Guillaume. It was the first time I see Evergrey. I'm not very much into the recent albums. Unfortunately for me, they played almost only recent songs (as mentioned by Testofwills). Very few songs from the first 5 albums which are my favorites.

Nice to meet you too!

I love the last 2 albums, they brought me back into the band after they released a few uneven discs, so I was glad to hear lots of songs from them.
My fave albums from Evergrey are The Inner Circle, Recreation Day, In Search of Truth, Hymns For The Broken and The Storm Within.

I thought Evergrey were killer, sound was very good and Tom's voice was spot on. Venue of 200 was about half-full, which is a bit disappointing for a band of this caliber, but it seems that tour doesn't draw lots of folks at any place...

Ascendia surprised me. They were really excellent, 100% better than what we saw at ProgPower. Singer was much better too. He told me after the show that he was sick while in Atlanta, that would explain the so-so performance. So, I'll keep an eye on that band in the future. I played their album a couple times more before the show and thought it was still very good as well.

Need are way too prog for me, but I still enjoyed a couple songs. This band is excellent at what he does.

I thought Seven Kingdoms were really boring, I only lasted a couple songs. Don't care at all for their speedy double-bass power metal style...

Return to “PM: Core”