The CD collection is being sold....

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Harvester

The CD collection is being sold....

Postby Harvester » Sun May 28, 2017 9:22 pm

The time has come....

I have been going digital afor a while and prog on vinyl is where I'm headed. It's time to start moving the collection that goes *way* back to when PM started. There are a ton of rare and little know prog gems I'm moving for *cheap.* In fact, I posted my first wave tonight and the majority already sold. Most are about $2-$3 each in bundles of 5. However, there are a few rare gems such as the Carisma- 1825 & Angra- Reaching Horizons that are priced reflecting their scarcity.

No ebay or amazon for me. This is being done via a private facebook group that you have to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/442436629472556/

Please note that the rules are posted in the group. Please review on how to purchase, shipping terms, etc. And apologies to those that don't use facebook, but this is by far the best way for me to move stuff as I don't have a master list or anything. I just pull them off the shelf and post as I go.

And yes....I'm planning on keeping the faves. :)

Glenn

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: The CD collection is being sold....

Postby LarryD » Mon May 29, 2017 8:04 am

Harvester wrote:The time has come....

I have been going digital afor a while and prog on vinyl is where I'm headed. It's time to start moving the collection that goes *way* back to when PM started. There are a ton of rare and little know prog gems I'm moving for *cheap.* In fact, I posted my first wave tonight and the majority already sold. Most are about $2-$3 each in bundles of 5. However, there are a few rare gems such as the Carisma- 1825 & Angra- Reaching Horizons that are priced reflecting their scarcity.

No ebay or amazon for me. This is being done via a private facebook group that you have to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/442436629472556/

Please note that the rules are posted in the group. Please review on how to purchase, shipping terms, etc. And apologies to those that don't use facebook, but this is by far the best way for me to move stuff as I don't have a master list or anything. I just pull them off the shelf and post as I go.

And yes....I'm planning on keeping the faves. :)

Glenn

***I dreaded the day that this was going to happen .......... I knew you were mostly digital, but never expected to see you start selling off your collection ......... seeing that Carisma / 1825 up for sale brought back so many memories........ I know you and I have talked about this very thing -- but as I was telling Ken the other day, as I go through my collection and start pulling out discs to check out whether or not they stand up to the test of time, I have a hard time pulling out a disc like 1825 and selling it.......even if backed it up to a hard drive. But, there is no doubt that I have to start doing this as well -- I just don't have the room anymore for all of these discs.....

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Mon May 29, 2017 12:54 pm

Bummer (for me) about all facebook, though. Oh well.

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Mon May 29, 2017 1:27 pm

Bummer (for me) about all facebook, though. Oh well.

Me too. Larry - if you sell anything please use options other than facebook!

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon May 29, 2017 4:43 pm

Anything I sell will be posted right here in the forum ............. :)

Locust0311

Postby Locust0311 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:45 am

I sold my whole lot in one go a few months back and Carisma - 1825 was one of the couple I kept. It'll probably end up on eBay at some point if I can bring myself to do it...

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed May 31, 2017 11:44 am

I'll be going thru my collection this weekend........ I'll see how it goes and put some up for sale and see what happens.........

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed May 31, 2017 1:14 pm

If you have a copy of Leviathan's "Scoring the Chapters", PM me!!!! :)
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Wed May 31, 2017 5:14 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:If you have a copy of Leviathan's "Scoring the Chapters", PM me!!!! :)

Dude, I might have one for you if Larry does not. I'll check tonight.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed May 31, 2017 6:30 pm

Random Axe wrote:
Sir Exar Kun wrote:If you have a copy of Leviathan's "Scoring the Chapters", PM me!!!! :)

Dude, I might have one for you if Larry does not. I'll check tonight.

***Go for it -- mine is gone ...........

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Wed May 31, 2017 10:36 pm

And...so is mine. I only have Riddles. Must have traded it a while back

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:21 am

Well, thanks to both of you for checking. That thing is a PAIN to find. It floats on eBay for $50 a shot, but I cannot bring myself to spend that much on it. I've even spoken to the band, and they don't have any copies left either.

One day.....
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:23 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:Well, thanks to both of you for checking. That thing is a PAIN to find. It floats on eBay for $50 a shot, but I cannot bring myself to spend that much on it. I've even spoken to the band, and they don't have any copies left either.

One day.....

***Jay I know the feeling of having to hunt down discs like that ....... you know, as we talk about selling off collections, going digital, etc ........ I see what happens trying to make this change - even a little .........

Glenn went full bore and sold off half of his collection in a quick amount of time ....... that in itself is amazing. I loved his plan to do it, and it worked......... so as I started this somewhat half-hearted journey, this is what happened to me ....... I've talked to a couple of guys here on the board about this, and I know what the answer will be........

So I'm going thru my collection -- and I start pulling out discs to check out, and some I play. As I hear them - I ask myself, " how in the world did you like this even back in the day " ....... let's face it, our tastes change as we get older, and we've been at this here now for some 20 years, so it stands to reason not all discs are like Fates Warning / Perfect Symmetry let's say .......

I get to a disc called Mechanical Poet / Woodland Prattlers. I open it, I look at the artwork, I put the disc on .... and I say, " I'll never be able to get a copy of this legitimately ever again " .... sure, someone could burn it for me, or someone wants $50 on eBay like you said...... it's unique, it's different, it's something that won't be repeated. I put it back on the shelf. One of the guys asked me when was the last time I listened to it fully ....... I said 5 years, which really meant 8 I guess ...... But I couldn't bring myself to part with it. Then I pulled out another disc by a band called Everwood / The Ravens Nest. I played it and said "wow !!! this is awesome, how in the hell did everyone miss this one" ........ I put it back on the shelf ....... I'll never get that disc again - and I can't part with it. So I need to find another way to go about getting rid of some of them .........

I thought about just asking publicly what everyone wants in their collection, and go from there ...... but that will be time consuming. At any rate, I will be posting anything I'm getting rid of in the Trade section, so as to keep the regular board clean, but I'll let you know when that happens .......

In the meantime, feel free to email me with anything you're looking for specifically.........

Judas

Postby Judas » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:30 am

LarryD wrote:So I'm going thru my collection -- and I start pulling out discs to check out, and some I play. As I hear them - I ask myself, " how in the world did you like this even back in the day " ....... let's face it, our tastes change as we get older, and we've been at this here now for some 20 years, so it stands to reason not all discs are like Fates Warning / Perfect Symmetry let's say .......

I get to a disc called Mechanical Poet / Woodland Prattlers. I open it, I look at the artwork, I put the disc on .... and I say, " I'll never be able to get a copy of this legitimately ever again " .... sure, someone could burn it for me, or someone wants $50 on eBay like you said...... it's unique, it's different, it's something that won't be repeated. I put it back on the shelf. One of the guys asked me when was the last time I listened to it fully ....... I said 5 years, which really meant 8 I guess ...... But I couldn't bring myself to part with it. Then I pulled out another disc by a band called Everwood / The Ravens Nest. I played it and said "wow !!! this is awesome, how in the hell did everyone miss this one" ........ I put it back on the shelf ....... I'll never get that disc again - and I can't part with it. So I need to find another way to go about getting rid of some of them .........

I thought about just asking publicly what everyone wants in their collection, and go from there ...... but that will be time consuming. At any rate, I will be posting anything I'm getting rid of in the Trade section, so as to keep the regular board clean, but I'll let you know when that happens .......

In the meantime, feel free to email me with anything you're looking for specifically.........

I understand what you are saying , I'm planning to try to sell some of my cd's for a while now (just can't get myself actually to start going over all of them...) and sometime I'll do that.

My plan is very simple , a cd I don't like will go away even if it will "break" a sequence ( like 3 Ayreon albums and most Evergrey for example),
something like ,for example, Mechanical Poet will stay (all of them).

If with a first "run" I will eliminate those albums I don't like (not the ones I don't listen to often) that
will at least make room and won't dent the quality of my current taste , don't know if after that I will ever go to phase II of pulling out cd's I didn't listen to for "5 years".

Eventually I guess I will give most away ... just like I did with my LP collection (who knew the retro thing will return so strongly :) ).

Judas

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:41 pm

My CD collection is too important to me to get rid of. Even though the majority of my listening is digital now, I still like to have the physical CD in my collection. I don't think I could ever get rid of my collection. My tastes are always changing and the way I experience a disk can be completely different based on my mood and where I am in life. There have been countless disks that don't click with me immediately so I shelve them only to pull it back out years later and realize that I love the disk now. I still have my whole vinyl collection in a box in the basement even though I don't have a turntable hooked up at the moment and it was really cool when I pulled them out a few years back.

When I first saw Jen post about selling Glenn's CDs on facebook, I was going to ask her if Glenn knew she was doing this. :-)

Don't do it Larry!

When I visit people I often ask them if I can browse through their CD collection. You can pretty much accurately judge anyone by their CD collection I have found.
Güy

Testofwills

Postby Testofwills » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:01 pm

I agree Guy--Having collecting cds and vinyls since 84 I would never get rid of my stuff..I still sell or trade the odd cd and even unload vinyls..If I don't care for the band or don't like the lp anymore I sometimes sell it off but still luv buying and collecting music... :D

sean

Postby sean » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi there,

I'd love to have a look...my request to join has been pending for over a week :-(

Cheers!

Sean.

Return to “PM: Core”