I "might" have to go digital soon .... need some ideas.

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

I "might" have to go digital soon .... need some ideas.

Postby LarryD » Tue May 23, 2017 7:45 am

Ok folks - this is the annual " I'm going digital " post that lots of people make from time to time .... while I enjoy reading them, I am a dinosaur and I like CDs. The problem is, I've reached capacity here in the house, I'm facing a move out of state in my future, and it may be time for me to start going digital. I've consulted with some of the heavy hitters around here on this subject, and they have given me some great ideas. Would like to hear more from you others out there who have made this transition already.

Before we get into it - here is my initial feelings towards it, and here is some of my equipment / operating system so you don't try to sway me to Apple, cause it ain't happening. :wink:

I would have hard time not getting a CD in the mail like DT / The Astonishing, or Ayreon / The Source, etc and not being to sit there and open those gorgeous booklets and read them while I play their music, so in that sense I can't let it all go completely.

Right now, I've got 3 laptops - all Windows 10. I do NOT want to put music on my phone. I can't stream from my phone in my car anyway, I have an older car with no bluetooth or jacks in it for anything - so playing in the car is out without me burning a CDR to take with me (yeah, dinosaur mode). I use Amazon Prime, and I store whatever music I buy from them on my laptop, IF I only buy the MP3s from a band.

For media players, I use Windows Media player, VLC Media player, have used Monkey Media player (which I really liked) and I use Audacity (thanks Stevie) sometimes although that seems a little complicated. I do not use iTunes.

I would dedicate a laptop to music only if that is the norm.

So take me from there and let me know what you guys all do out there for your digital music life. Thanks in advance.

Sir Exar Kun

Re: I "might" have to go digital soon .... need some ideas.

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue May 23, 2017 9:46 am

....and another dinosaur gradually falls by the wayside. Alas, I still cannot bring myself to make the switch. Instead, I redesigned my media cabinets to be "double deep" if you will, but putting hinged doors on the front that serve as additional shelves, essentially doubling the capacity of each rack while still requiring the same physical footprint. Only downside is you have leave a little more space between them in order to allow for the doors to open.

I do still rip all my CDs to digital (for use in my old school iPod, playing at work, etc), but I keep everything on an external hard drive. I actually have two externals (one at home, one at work) and I bring the work one home a couple times a year to back up everything from the home drive to it, so in the event of some sort of catastrophic failure I'm not starting from scratch. (We had an incident with a home PC several years ago and lost a bunch of digital pictures, so am not making that mistake again.) I've considered some sort of cloud storage instead, but with the amount I have that didn't seem practical at the time for the price.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue May 23, 2017 10:01 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:....and another dinosaur gradually falls by the wayside. Alas, I still cannot bring myself to make the switch. Instead, I redesigned my media cabinets to be "double deep" if you will, but putting hinged doors on the front that serve as additional shelves, essentially doubling the capacity of each rack while still requiring the same physical footprint. Only downside is you have leave a little more space between them in order to allow for the doors to open.

I do still rip all my CDs to digital (for use in my old school iPod, playing at work, etc), but I keep everything on an external hard drive. I actually have two externals (one at home, one at work) and I bring the work one home a couple times a year to back up everything from the home drive to it, so in the event of some sort of catastrophic failure I'm not starting from scratch. (We had an incident with a home PC several years ago and lost a bunch of digital pictures, so am not making that mistake again.) I've considered some sort of cloud storage instead, but with the amount I have that didn't seem practical at the time for the price.

***I'm assuming that when I move, I won't have the media room available to me that I have now ...... the 2 large cabinets I have hold 1,000 each and they are full to the brim... I'm putting the CDs all over the place now and it looks shitty. Someone suggested only buying the "biggies" on CD, and download the rest onto an external hard drive which sounds like a winner so far.......

What do you use, Seagate externals ??

Rycher

Postby Rycher » Tue May 23, 2017 10:23 am

I just made the move to full digital purchasing, for the most part. I flirted with it 3 years ago and it didn't stick. But issues with space in the house plus budgetary concerns (paying $8.99/$9.99 for a download vs. slightly higher prices for CD's) meant that I needed to box up my collection and store it in the basement. I don't see the point in buying CD's just to throw them in a box in the basement, so digital made the most sense now. I'll still buy some CD's from my all time favorites just to keep the physical collection going for that specific band, or live CD/DVD albums where it makes more sense to buy them together, rather than an audio download and physical DVD.

I use iTunes to listen at home and rip cd's. iTunes creates folders to organize your music, so you can still access the files directly, and do a copy/paste to your music player (i.e. I copy/paste the songs onto my smartphone for listening while commuting and at work). You can also select how you rip them (either in Apple's format or MP3 at a specific bit-rate). I haven't listened to a CD at home in at least 5 years...another reason to just go full digital. Years ago, I used windows media to rip cd's to my work computer in MP3's, so there are lots of options, depending on how comfortable you feel with the software and the format which you wish to store your music in.

For the car, I still burn CD's, since I don't want to fool with the input jack/cord and change music on my phone while looking down. Nobody says that you have to stream music in the car if you go digital. You can buy and listen to the product however you want, wherever you want. If you still want to buy CD's, go ahead. Just rip them, copy the CD for the car, and store them out of sight, as opposed to putting them in the racks or cabinets. You could also rip the collection digitally, back it up, and then start selling off some of them. I did that when I boxed up my collection - found 60 CD's I didn't want to keep and got rid of them. Or box up the CD's that you rarely use at home and have more space in the racks for newer or favorite music.

Life changes for all of us. Baby #2 is on the way for my family and having a physical music collection in the house is secondary to having room for more kids toys or a baby's room (I'm losing my home office in the spare bedroom, which had my cd collection displayed). As much as it sucked to pack it up and make the switch to digital, I'm actually embracing it a few months later. It's nice to buy the music and have it instantly available, rather than wait for it to ship and arrive. So I miss out on booklets, but I really only look at the packaging once and then never again.

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Tue May 23, 2017 10:39 am

My wife has largely moved me to digital for music AND books - for as big as my physical music collection is, my library is far larger, and neither works terribly well in a small-ish house. As much as I love physical books, my Kindle is obscenely convenient, and .mp3s from Amazon are of high enough quality that I don't mind them, so those go right on my phone. I'm never going to own a $5000 sound system, and rarely listen to music anywhere but work, anyway. I was thankfully born with the practical gene instead of the purist gene.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue May 23, 2017 11:10 am

What do you use, Seagate externals ??

Exactly, I have a 1TB and a 2TB and they are more than sufficient for photos and music, plus a backup for my work PC.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue May 23, 2017 11:18 am

All good ideas ---- so my next question is:

What is the best way to play the music from a PC ? Unlike Sparky (sorry bro), I've got the purist gene. I've got excellent sound systems and pulling me away from my beloved Marantz and Onkyo dedicated CD players won't be easy.
My laptop is not bluetooth capable, so I can't stream to my receiver. I am imagining running either analog / HDMI cables direct to my receiver and possibly fitting my laptop with a USB dac. All that said, setting this all up seems a lot harder than opening my CD tray and popping in the new Ayreon disc.

So in this case, I'd have to disconnect the wires from the laptop if I want to use it elsewhere, and then re-connect the wires to use, set it up near the receiver, find the music and play ........
It seems to much easier to say "Alexa, can you play Vanden Plas for me" and bingo it's there !!!!!

This is why I'm so hesitant to go completely digital ........ to be a purist, you have to suffer a lot ......... :?

LASERCD

Postby LASERCD » Tue May 23, 2017 12:08 pm

Larry:

I know you well enough to know you will be very unhappy moving to digital files. If you decide to make the move call me and I'll spell out your options.

Ken

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Tue May 23, 2017 1:09 pm

LarryD wrote:All good ideas ---- so my next question is:

What is the best way to play the music from a PC ? Unlike Sparky (sorry bro), I've got the purist gene. I've got excellent sound systems and pulling me away from my beloved Marantz and Onkyo dedicated CD players won't be easy.
My laptop is not bluetooth capable, so I can't stream to my receiver. I am imagining running either analog / HDMI cables direct to my receiver and possibly fitting my laptop with a USB dac. All that said, setting this all up seems a lot harder than opening my CD tray and popping in the new Ayreon disc.

So in this case, I'd have to disconnect the wires from the laptop if I want to use it elsewhere, and then re-connect the wires to use, set it up near the receiver, find the music and play ........
It seems to much easier to say "Alexa, can you play Vanden Plas for me" and bingo it's there !!!!!

This is why I'm so hesitant to go completely digital ........ to be a purist, you have to suffer a lot ......... :?

My PC tower has been connected to my Yamaha amplifier and my big floorstanding speakers since at least 5 years. The only time I use CDs nowadays is to rip them to the computer. You just need a good internal PCi-e internal sound card if you got a tower, or a good external audio card connected via USB if it's a laptop (also good for a tower).

I rip all my stuff in HQ at 320 kbps and the sound is excellent. My ears can't tell the difference between these HQ MP3s and the original CD. Maybe it's not the case for all, I'm glad it works for me.

My internal soundcard: https://sg.creative.com/p/archived-prod ... itanium-hd

A great external audio card is this one, recommended to me by a couple audiophiles:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIOTRAK-Prodi ... 3641.l6368

I have a few external hard drives connected to the computer via USB 3.0, to store the stuff and backup. I also have lots of stuff on my work computer, that serves also as a backup.

The great thing of having the PC connected to the sound system is you can play videos on YouTube with a killer sound, so, visuals and music at the same time...

I still have my 3000 CDs in racks on the walls of my dedicated music room in the man's cave, but if I have to move in the next few years, I'm not sure they'll follow...

I don't buy CDs anymore, I buy MP3s from Bandcamp, Amazon or CD Baby...

sean

Postby sean » Tue May 23, 2017 3:10 pm

I made the move...somewhat :-)
I still have my Marantz system, but added a Sony UDA1 integrated DAC/Amp running off my laptop which manages the media library via Sony's MediaGo application. I picked up a set of Sony SS-HA1 speakers to compliment the UDA1 and I'm more than happy for my desktop solution, although if I wanted to integrate everything into the family room, I'd need to look at different speakers, obviously. But, with Sony's DSEE enhancement engine and the ability to replay DSD files, I'm more than happy with the detail that it throws out.
It hasn't stopped me buying CDs, but has certainly curbed the hunger...now I can focus on special releases that have some more appeal to owning the physical media than just standard CD releases.

Good luck!

Sean.

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Tue May 23, 2017 6:47 pm

For me the best way to go digital is to still buy CDs! Unless you want to go hi-res or don't mind when the files are not lossless and gapless.

1) With my CDs I can create the format I want and have all files in the same format. In 2004, I ripped all my CDs in ogg vorbis. It was the best choice at that time. It's a lossy format but gapless and with a better compress algorithm than mp3 (better quality for the same size / smaller size for same quality). In 2004, huge hard drives was not cheap. These days they are. In 2015, I re-ripped all my CDs in flac (lossless / gapless).

2) Some albums are not available lossless digitally. I remember for example Haken - Restoration. It was only available on google play and iTunes. I have the CD, I created the flac files.

3) Some content is sometimes only available physical. For example IQ - "The Road Of Bones" bonus disc (several bonus tracks). Sometimes also, a bonus DVD is available. I remember Guilt Machine bonus DVD. Arjen was discussing what is been through.

4) It's a real purchase. Digitally is more a rental than a purchase. You cannot give or sell legally the digital files. I can give my CDs or sell them when I no longer listen to them or when I will be very old.

5) I have an instant backup. I do make backup of my PC. But if it crashes between two backups, I still have my CDs I recently purchase after my last backup.

I agree that space may be an issue. I live in a small apartment and I may face this problem one day. I also have movies DVD / Blu-ray. I discovered a few years ago a passion for movies since I have my 55 inches TV! On The Laser's Edge forum the other day, someone posted about a way to get rid of the CD jewel cases. https://jewelsleeve.com/shop/ I have never tried, but this could be an alternative for those who may have a space issue one day. Not all CDs come in jewel cases but most are.

I no longer play the physical CD in a CD player and I do not need the booklet for lyrics anymore (most of the time). I use AlbumPlayer 6.0 http://www.albumplayer.com/ I still use the legacy interface (I don't like the new one). You still can select the legacy interface in AlbumPlayer 6.0. I use it in combination with ASIO4ALL http://www.asio4all.com/ With my flac files and this two softwares (ASIO4ALL is a driver), I can be "bitperfect". My PC is connected to my TV with a HDMI cable. When the driver ASIO4ALL is used, we cannot modify the sound on the PC (for example with the equalizer in AlbumPlayer). The sound control in the OS is bypass. This is the only way to be bitperfect. For the lyrics, I use MiniLyrics that works in combination with AlbumPlayer. It's easier to read the lyrics on my 55 inches TV than in a booklet. Although it may happen that lyrics are not available online and you still need the booklet.

This way, the source is perfect, after that, the sky is the limit for the audio equipment people will use (DAC, amplifier, speakers, etc).
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Tue May 23, 2017 8:36 pm

I really don't have anything techy or even really insightful to add except an alternative.

Maybe sell off a few or more.

My criteria when I did this a while back was if I hadn't played it in five years and I have no interest in saying it today...outahere!

The seagates are great, but it would be a full time job to rip your collection to them.

Sometime pm or text me your potential destination.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue May 23, 2017 9:10 pm

Random Axe wrote:I really don't have anything techy or even really insightful to add except an alternative.

Maybe sell off a few or more.

My criteria when I did this a while back was if I hadn't played it in five years and I have no interest in saying it today...outahere!

The seagates are great, but it would be a full time job to rip your collection to them.

Sometime pm or text me your potential destination.

***Someone suggested this very thing to me today on the phone .... here is the example I gave back.

I'm going thru my collection, and I pull out a disc. Let's just throw one out there - Mechanical Poet / Woodland Prattlers. Anyone remember this one ? I haven't played it in at least 5 years or more - as I went through the disc, it's booklet, and played a couple of tunes - I realized that if i get rid of this disc, I may never get it back again unless I have someone burn me a copy of it. It's not a great disc - it's a unique disc - and it's hard to find. I did not like that feeling, and I put it back on my rack.......

Now in the past year - I've given away at least 100 or more discs....... so I'm contradicting myself here. I don't think I could have sold them - or just thought that maybe no one wanted them, so I gave them away ....... at least I know they went to a good home.

But at this point = I think you're right ........ I do need to start unloading some of them just to make room ........thats a start. Thanks for the scoop.
I'll let you know what's going on in a PM bro for sure.........

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue May 23, 2017 9:11 pm

Gaetan --

That response was awesome ...... need some more time to actually address those suggestions, and I will for sure........ that explanation was incredible and shows the passion you have for the music as well --

Thanks for posting that - I'll respond to it soon .........

BC

Postby BC » Tue May 23, 2017 9:48 pm

Larry,

In terms of your car, finding a new head unit that has both auxiliary inputs and plays CDs isn't that difficult. Depending on the model of your car, installation can be very simple too. You should be able to pick up a decent stereo that has aux input along with USB and SD card slots and Bluetooth for under $150. Going through a place like Crutchfield.com would also get you any wiring and mounting kits you might need plus technical support.
Is a song titled "Everybody Dies" supposed to sound so happy?
Doom, gloom, the World goes boom! None will be spared, so don't assume. Not ragged clothed nor silver spooned. You're all the same when extinction looms!

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Tue May 23, 2017 10:48 pm

BC wrote:Larry,

In terms of your car, finding a new head unit that has both auxiliary inputs and plays CDs isn't that difficult. Depending on the model of your car, installation can be very simple too. You should be able to pick up a decent stereo that has aux input along with USB and SD card slots and Bluetooth for under $150. Going through a place like Crutchfield.com would also get you any wiring and mounting kits you might need plus technical support.

I'll second that. Could not go back to the time of burning each album I want to play in the car on CD-R and having to carry them all... Now, I have more than 120 albums on a 16GB USB drive, and the same amount on a SD card. That's enough for a very long drive!

Scott B

Postby Scott B » Wed May 24, 2017 7:44 am

I have gone "semi digital". My wife and son wanted some sort of streaming service, and since I am the anti-Apple in the house we went with Spotify. I had used them occasionally in "free" mode since it was in beta release. I am still adjusting to using my phone to stream music in my car. I also have a USB in the car so I can go that route. For your car, I highly recommend just upgrading the in-dash so you have an aux input, usb, or Bluetooth. I think that USB inputs are probably on their way out. Freaking vinyl outsold paid downloads last year.

CDs, to me, have become pretty useless, which sucks since I have nearly 3000 of them. My modus operandi now for albums that are "maybe" types of releases is to stream them, and if there is a love connection, buy it. I am doing my best to only buy vinyl now. Why? Why not! The actual number of albums I am buying now is well below 50% of what I bought last year and years prior. If I buy a CD, I might play it once and then it goes into the cabinet. If there is a cheap download option, I might hit that if there is no vinyl option, but if I really love an album and CD is the only way to get a physical copy, then I will do that. The quality of the vinyl releases (in terms of the physical product) is amazing. Some bands are really taking the opportunity to get very creative with the packaging, vinyl color, etc.

As far as ripping CDs goes, it is a pain in the ass to me. I'd say that half of the CDs I buy come with a download as well, which is kind of stupid, but then again they are selling a download for the same price (sometimes more) than a CD. You will probably need to rip the more rare stuff, but you will likely find most of the regular release stuff available on streaming services.

Locust0311

Postby Locust0311 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:24 am

I went digital several years ago and never looked back. My car also doesn't have an Aux (except through the tape deck...) and a new head unit would be prohibitively expensive as it would require a custom dash kit, so I just rip CDs every so often to update my changer. Beyond that, I listen to everything through my Subsonic server running off my PC. For home use, my Sonos system can connect to Subsonic to access my library which is too large to use Sonos's built in indexing. Everywhere else I have the Subsonic app on my phone so I can take my entire collection anywhere I want.

Now, I doubt any of the above is the digital direction you're wanting to go, but as far as backups go, let me make a suggestion: RAID NAS. I lost the internal HD my music was on a year or so ago and had to do a restore off the external Seagate drive I was using for backups. Within a month or so of that restore, the Seagate drive also failed. Almost losing my entire music collection was enough to put the fear of God in me so I decided to invest in a RAID NAS as a more reliable backup solution. I'd had an older one before and it worked fairly well. If you don't know what a RAID NAS is, in short its a self contained unit with 2 or more hard drives in it that is plugged into your home network. Those drives are configured in a RAID array, meaning they look like 1 drive to your PC but data is backed up across all of them so if 1 fails the data isn't lost. I use a Synology 2-drive NAS that has seemed to work pretty well but there are plenty of options out there. Multiple drives is the key though as that protects you from the failure of a single drive.

LASERCD

Postby LASERCD » Wed May 24, 2017 10:42 am

Locust0311 wrote:Now, I doubt any of the above is the digital direction you're wanting to go, but as far as backups go, let me make a suggestion: RAID NAS. I lost the internal HD my music was on a year or so ago and had to do a restore off the external Seagate drive I was using for backups. Within a month or so of that restore, the Seagate drive also failed. Almost losing my entire music collection was enough to put the fear of God in me so I decided to invest in a RAID NAS as a more reliable backup solution. I'd had an older one before and it worked fairly well. If you don't know what a RAID NAS is, in short its a self contained unit with 2 or more hard drives in it that is plugged into your home network. Those drives are configured in a RAID array, meaning they look like 1 drive to your PC but data is backed up across all of them so if 1 fails the data isn't lost. I use a Synology 2-drive NAS that has seemed to work pretty well but there are plenty of options out there. Multiple drives is the key though as that protects you from the failure of a single drive.

I had a Synology DS1812+. Its an 8 drive NAS. It shit the bed from a power surge and I'm in the process of replacing it after 4 years. $1000 down the toilet. Hopefully the data on the drives is still intact. The best solution is to have an off site back up but that becomes expensive. The only perfect solution to loss of data is to continue to use physical discs. The downside is the space the discs take up.

Locust0311

Postby Locust0311 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:22 am

LASERCD wrote:I had a Synology DS1812+. Its an 8 drive NAS. It shit the bed from a power surge and I'm in the process of replacing it after 4 years. $1000 down the toilet. Hopefully the data on the drives is still intact. The best solution is to have an off site back up but that becomes expensive. The only perfect solution to loss of data is to continue to use physical discs. The downside is the space the discs take up.

Yeah, that's a risk with any device. Both my drive failures were power surge related I suspect. Had to replace my motherboard eventually too. I went and bought a UPS in the wake of all that, hopefully it's inbuilt surge protector will work better than the last one I had...

Judas

Postby Judas » Fri May 26, 2017 2:35 pm

LarryD wrote:All good ideas ---- so my next question is:

It looks like I'm the only, still living person in the world, that doesn't have even 1 digital music(or movie) file on his computer.
I play only cd's/dvds/blurays (through an onkyo cd player and an oppo bluray player)on my main system or my secondary system.
In the car I use cd's or play my 20+ year old cowon mp player (it is as heavy and big as a small boombox).

I almost stopped buying cd's for few years now (went down from hundreds to maybe 12 a year), have no space anymore, only the ones that I really think I'll like (this year ordered the new Avatarium,Ayreon and Deep Purple thus far and want also Old Season) and no digital files.

About playing your digital, I don't know what sound system you have, but both Cambridge Audio CXU & the new Oppo 205 have wi-fi/network/usb connections that can stream your stored files (even my old oppo can do that I think), they are both excellent audio (and universal) players , and they play any source (physical or digital).

Judas

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon May 29, 2017 4:55 pm

***Hey Art !!!!!

Good to see you man !!!!!!!!

It looks like I'm the only, still living person in the world, that doesn't have even 1 digital music(or movie) file on his computer.
I play only cd's/dvds/blurays (through an onkyo cd player and an oppo bluray player)on my main system or my secondary system.
In the car I use cd's or play my 20+ year old cowon mp player (it is as heavy and big as a small boombox).

***Nope - I'm right there with you ....... I play CDs and blurays ........ I too use an Onkyo CD player and a Marantz dedicated CD player for CDs ... and I use 2 flagship Sony bluray players for the movies......... In my car, I burn CDRs here at the PC and drag them out with me for the ride to and from work ........... yeah I know, what the hell is a CDR ?

I almost stopped buying cd's for few years now (went down from hundreds to maybe 12 a year), have no space anymore, only the ones that I really think I'll like (this year ordered the new Avatarium,Ayreon and Deep Purple thus far and want also Old Season) and no digital files.

***I still buy CDs from everywhere ...... I have no space left for CDs, and that's on 2 floors of house ........

About playing your digital, I don't know what sound system you have, but both Cambridge Audio CXU & the new Oppo 205 have wi-fi/network/usb connections that can stream your stored files (even my old oppo can do that I think), they are both excellent audio (and universal) players , and they play any source (physical or digital).

***Yep - someone suggested that very thing ....... using an Oppo 203 to stream my stored files (of which I have none) ....... I think at this point, I'm going to :

a) go through the collection, and start selling off some discs in the name of room
b) still buy CDs, but only for the BIG releases. I think I will use Amazon to download the MP3s of lesser known bands and store them on my PC
c) buy an external hard drive and download all the lesser band files to that

I'm an Amazon disciple ....... I've got a Fire Stick I use for my music, and I have an Echo Dot when I'm feeling lazy and want Alexa to take over......... so if I download all of the lesser bands, I can have Amazon play them for me - and use the players for the CDs I buy .......... I know it's not all digital, but baby steps .........

In order for me to really get into digital, I would have to start putting music on my phone, which I still can't wrap my head around, and invest in some way to stream all of that into my stereo system ............ I'm into the sound, so I can't just stream from my phone into a bluetooth speaker....... I know they sound good, but it would drive me crazy after awhile .......... so I figure if I go half and half, that will satisfy some of the need to go digital ..........

elendil

Postby elendil » Tue May 30, 2017 6:58 am

You don't have to go "full digital"; you can go a bit more digital on the margin. That's what I've done. For albums that I'm interested in hearing but probably won't listen to often, I use a streaming service (used to use Rhapsody/Napster, now Amazon). The advantage of using a streaming service over downloading digital albums (which I almost never do) is that the streaming services are really, really cheap if you listen to a lot of music - something like $10/month IIRC.

When I made the adjustment a few years ago, I ripped a bunch of CDs that were pretty marginal into *.flac and sold them. For stuff that I really like, I still have to have the CD. Unfortunately, my "real" sound system hasn't been set up for the last few years we've been renting in small places, but even so, the CD format still has an advantage for listening in the car. I mean, we're prog fans who like listening to albums beginning to end, right? You don't want to be fiddling with an mp3 player in the car, and if you're burning CDs anyway, what's the advantage of going digital otherwise? Losing the cases? Not enough of an advantage to be worth it in my case.

Rycher

Postby Rycher » Tue May 30, 2017 10:11 am

elendil wrote:That's what I've done. For albums that I'm interested in hearing but probably won't listen to often, I use a streaming service (used to use Rhapsody/Napster, now Amazon). The advantage of using a streaming service over downloading digital albums (which I almost never do) is that the streaming services are really, really cheap if you listen to a lot of music - something like $10/month IIRC.

The disadvantage is the money that you save then gets spent on mobile data plans so you can stream away from Wi-Fi. I spend a total of 3 hours a day commuting and listen to music for the entire time that I'm on the train. If I used a streaming service, I'd end up having to spend more money on a data plan than I already do. It's fine if you only listen when connected to Wi-Fi (at home/work), but there's additional cost to be mobile or traveling and streaming.

elendil wrote:You don't want to be fiddling with an mp3 player in the car, and if you're burning CDs anyway, what's the advantage of going digital otherwise? Losing the cases? Not enough of an advantage to be worth it in my case.

I don't like to bring my real cd's into the car. I can leave cheap CDR's in the console and not care if they get scratched, damaged, or stolen. You can also make your own mix cd's or edit a tracklisting to your preference.

jhallum

Postby jhallum » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:38 pm

We just went mostly digital after Prog Power last year. So far the experiment seems to be positive. We are lucky to have cars that have USB aux in, though the Chevy audio system only sees the first 5K songs of any non iPod USB drive, so even if we have a 64 GB USB drive, it only sees about 40 of it. Since I had everything ripped to mp3 over a decade ago, and have been doing it ever since, the transition has been seamless for us.

I've been looking for a good price on a 256 GB microSD card for my next phone, and I'll put all of my 150 GB of music on it. I'm not too much of an audiophile, so 256 VBR or flat 256 mp3s have been fine for my audio needs. I've been using a 120GB iPod that's now nine years old, and feels a little long in the tooth (I also kind of want to get away from iTunes, just not sure to what, it just needs to have a last.fm plug-in).

We'll still buy music from bands that we love on physical, either in the new large book formats or on vinyl. We realized that we only have one CD player in the house now (on my computer), so the day for us to go digital had to be soon.

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:14 pm

The only thing I want to add is how important it is to have an off site backup of your collection. A few years ago a forest fire was headed towards our house while we were out of state on vacation. Luckily they stopped it with a bulldozer line about 40 paces right behind my house. We had friends trying to save a few valuables from our house before it burned down. I asked them to try and save my CDs, but they said my collection was "overwhelming" if I remember right. That was before I had my whole collection ripped to MP3 so I would have lost most of it. That experience was one of my reasons to rip my collection. So now I have a USB drive that does a backup of my main hard drive every night as well as a second USB drive that I keep at work as an off site backup.
Güy

Clint-metalcdratings

Postby Clint-metalcdratings » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:11 pm

I still have all of my music on CD - probably around 4000 CDs total, and the thought of converting them all to digital or deciding which ones to convert gives me a headache. Especially since the styles I have (mainly power metal and female fronted symphonic/gothic metal) were better 10-15 years ago and probably will never improve, once CDs are no longer available I will just listen to my collection and won't worry about new releases. 8)
Btw, I have the well-constructed boltz metal racks with plenty of space for more CDs.

I'm sure this approach is greatly in the minority, but I thought I'd throw it out there. :)
Clint/Site Manager
http://www.metalcdratings.com

Make sure and check out the site for ratings and reviews on tons of power metal CDs!

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:34 pm

Clint-metalcdratings wrote:I still have all of my music on CD - probably around 4000 CDs total, and the thought of converting them all to digital or deciding which ones to convert gives me a headache. Especially since the styles I have (mainly power metal and female fronted symphonic/gothic metal) were better 10-15 years ago and probably will never improve, once CDs are no longer available I will just listen to my collection and won't worry about new releases. 8)
Btw, I have the well-constructed boltz metal racks with plenty of space for more CDs.

I'm sure this approach is greatly in the minority, but I thought I'd throw it out there. :)

***Clint -- while you're here, I'm starting with my Goth collection as far as getting rid of some CDs ..... I know you probably have every Goth disc on the planet, but I did find some obscure stuff while I was going through it ....... if you're interested, email me and I'll send you the titles........

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:06 pm

jhallum wrote:We just went mostly digital after Prog Power last year. So far the experiment seems to be positive. We are lucky to have cars that have USB aux in, though the Chevy audio system only sees the first 5K songs of any non iPod USB drive, so even if we have a 64 GB USB drive, it only sees about 40 of it. Since I had everything ripped to mp3 over a decade ago, and have been doing it ever since, the transition has been seamless for us.

I've been looking for a good price on a 256 GB microSD card for my next phone, and I'll put all of my 150 GB of music on it. I'm not too much of an audiophile, so 256 VBR or flat 256 mp3s have been fine for my audio needs. I've been using a 120GB iPod that's now nine years old, and feels a little long in the tooth (I also kind of want to get away from iTunes, just not sure to what, it just needs to have a last.fm plug-in).

We'll still buy music from bands that we love on physical, either in the new large book formats or on vinyl. We realized that we only have one CD player in the house now (on my computer), so the day for us to go digital had to be soon.

My Hyundai Elantra 2013 can read only the first 6000 files of the 128GB USB thumbdrive. Sucks a bit, but that still LOTS of music always there with me in the car. In addition to that, I have a 200GB microSD in my phone that can stream in the car via Blueetooth.

All my stuff is 320 kbps. My ears don't see the difference between a HQ 320 kbps MP3 and the real CD. Good for me.

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:38 pm

About the driver ASIO4ALL, I must add that this thing has saved me from a real nightmare...

When I bought my new computer a couple of years ago, I had subtle audio glitches with my computer. Everything you can imagine to solve this issue, I have tried. Changing the motherboard, trying an audio card instead of my hires on board audio, changing the location of my audio files, changing the type of audio files, trying another music player, etc.

I was using ogg vorbis (gapless, not lossless) format at that time. Finally, with ASIO4ALL, my issue was gone. So my problem was not hardware. It was probably the audio driver in Windows 7 or the way Windows 7 interact with the driver. Maybe the problem has been solved since then with a Windows Update or a driver update, I did not tried...

So even if you are using mp3 (not gapless, not lossless), ASIO4ALL can be usefull.

Also, if you are surfing the net while listening your music, you will not hear the audio of the web pages because ASIO4ALL is taking control of the audio. This is something I like.

So this is not only useful to be bitperfect with flac (gapless, lossless) files.
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Return to “PM: Core”