JD MILLER - World War X

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Guillaume

JD MILLER - World War X

Postby Guillaume » Wed May 17, 2017 2:04 pm

The 2nd album by this oddly named Swedish band (no one in the band is actually called JD Miller) is quicky becoming one of my faves of 2017. Thick riffing, catchy melodies, very good vox, all the ingredients are there for me to love. And the production is top notch.

Their first disc was forgettable modern rock, but this new one rules my world big time. Here's the description of World War X on their website:
’World War X’ was made to tell a story about a war that is ongoing. A story of good and evil, sanity and insanity, the heavens or hells out there and how they effect our world and the way we live.

”I have an interest in understanding evil. Who is the bad guy — the vampire who kills people and sucks their blood, or the survivalists who kill people to save their own lives? Is evil merely a creation of people? Or is there an evil nature? Or is it in the eye of the beholder?”

– Lois Tilton

The new JD Miller record ’World War X’ sounds like the musical child bred by Evergrey and Eclipse. JD Miller is the thing if you like melodic, guitar driven rock fronted by edgy vocals and soaring harmonies all wrapped up in modern production.

http://jdmiller.rocks/worl-war-x/

Check out the video for Clouded Minds, it represents well the style of the album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pduNUNq7K4

Guillaume

Re: JD MILLER - World War X

Postby Guillaume » Sun May 21, 2017 2:14 pm

So, noone cares about this? I'm surprised. I still think it's excellent stuff.

http://www.hallowed.se/english/music/re ... war_x.html

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Sun May 21, 2017 6:55 pm

This was strange. I heard the first part of the official video and thought meh, not bad. Then just now I listen to the album teaser vid and that sold me. So I'll grab this for sure.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue May 23, 2017 7:31 am

I tried both of those videos, and then I went on to check out their other stuff on You Tube ....... at first I wasn't sure what type of music they play, lots of it sounded like heavy melodic metal, but then I heard those poppy AoR choruses and figured that they are a heavy AoR band ? Very simplistic, catchy choruses, and very well done..... I don't think this is something I could listen to all the time, but if I was with the Frenchies, or PP, I wouldn't tell anyone to turn it off .......... :wink:

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Tue May 23, 2017 8:54 am

LarryD wrote:I tried both of those videos, and then I went on to check out their other stuff on You Tube ....... at first I wasn't sure what type of music they play, lots of it sounded like heavy melodic metal, but then I heard those poppy AoR choruses and figured that they are a heavy AoR band ? Very simplistic, catchy choruses, and very well done..... I don't think this is something I could listen to all the time, but if I was with the Frenchies, or PP, I wouldn't tell anyone to turn it off .......... :wink:

Like I mentioned, first album was average "modern rock". On this album, they kinda kept the modern rock style for the choruses, but the verses are pure metal with thick riffing all over. Very nice mix for me, catchy melodies aplenty, and very well done indeed.

You might hear some at PP, that's for sure... :twisted:

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:06 am

New video from that excellent album

Journey Through The Past
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5qX6JJy6W4

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:47 am

I just got this and it is very strong. It's like mixing Evergreys Hymns for the broken with some Last Tribe/Cloudscape and adding some modern pop touches. Good stuff!

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:24 pm

Random Axe wrote:I just got this and it is very strong. It's like mixing Evergreys Hymns for the broken with some Last Tribe/Cloudscape and adding some modern pop touches. Good stuff!

Good description. The band itself describes this album like a mix of Evergrey and Eclipse.
I'm surprised this band doesn't get more recognition with this album so far...

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:55 pm

If they had a different name I guarantee they'd have more hype and following. JD Miller sounds like a douche who takes up two parking spots with his Corsica or a door to door window salesman.

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:29 am

Random Axe wrote:If they had a different name I guarantee they'd have more hype and following. JD Miller sounds like a douche who takes up two parking spots with his Corsica or a door to door window salesman.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “PM: Core”