Tetrafusion - Dreaming of Sleep

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

EmptyThoughts

Tetrafusion - Dreaming of Sleep

Postby EmptyThoughts » Wed May 10, 2017 2:50 pm

Wow, I can't comprehend why this album has not been mentioned here... These guys took a break, but damn, they came back with a venegence with this album. Now this is 90's Prog with a modern touch. They mixed the Progressiveness of their instrumental debut album, with jazz interludes, tempo changes, and amazing vocals. One thing of note, this album has some of the best bass work I've heard in a LONG time. It reminded me somewhat of Spiral Architect, and John Myung when he was still a part of DT :lol:

Definitely, check it out. This is the best album I've heard this year. Now this is Prog Metal :D You can't go wrong, the guys are virtually giving it away for free on Bandcamp.

https://tetrafusion.bandcamp.com/

Mardoch

Re: Tetrafusion - Dreaming of Sleep

Postby Mardoch » Wed May 10, 2017 6:46 pm

Someone on Bandcamp that I follow (I think Scott), picked it up and I've been meaning to hit it up since, but I haven't yet. I have their previous stuff, and it's good.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Thu May 11, 2017 7:11 pm

So I'm waiting on some stuff in the oven and I figured I'd sneak in the first track and WOW have they ever upped their game! I can't wait to listen to the rest of it later on tonight.

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:04 pm

I've known this band for about six years and I own all of their discs. This is easily their best album. Altered State was excellent with a couple of questionable songs but mostly incredible ones. Horizons was a more consistent but less wow-worthy record. Dreaming of Sleep combines the best of both albums and exceeds them both.

The singer's voice and his confidence and projection have significantly improved and the keyboards are starting to pop through more as a result (since he does have to play both at once). There are hidden surprises in many of the songs including string outros, a marimba, electronic drums, and many sections that sound ripped straight from a Scale the Summit album except with keys (no surprise as the rhythm section played on the last STS record). The lyrical content is intelligent and thought-provoking and fits the dreamy and intellectual tone of their music.

And as always, Mark Michell plays some of the most original and creative basslines in modern prog-metal music.

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Wed May 24, 2017 9:24 am

Late to the party but damn... This is really good! Very proggy stuff while infusing lots of influences and catchy melodies. I hear some jazz, bluesy solos, djent, Floydian moments with a modern edge.... I mean, lots is happening. It can be dense at times so those of you who can't bear that side of prog, stear clear. But those of you who like their prog to be challenging, this is definitely for you.
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:52 pm

Stevie WOnder wrote:It can be dense at times so those of you who can't bear that side of prog, stear clear. But those of you who like their prog to be challenging, this is definitely for you.

With this said, I find Tetrafusion's music very unintimidating and pleasant to listen to despite its density and difficult musicianship.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Thu May 25, 2017 10:48 pm

I have their previous 2 releases and I just grabbed this from bandcamp (thanks to a heads up). This is quite excellent. Wow!
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Wed May 31, 2017 10:14 am

outprogged42 wrote:
Stevie WOnder wrote:It can be dense at times so those of you who can't bear that side of prog, stear clear. But those of you who like their prog to be challenging, this is definitely for you.

With this said, I find Tetrafusion's music very unintimidating and pleasant to listen to despite its density and difficult musicianship.

Agreed. It's suprisingly an easy listen. I figure the melodic clean singer helps a lot.

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:18 pm

Also they use a lot of inviting jazz arrangements and, I believe, major keys which make music sound brighter instead of darker.

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:49 am

One of my all time favorites is the Power of Omens debut, and it definitely has some challenges. I'll check this out!

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:32 pm

Random Axe wrote:One of my all time favorites is the Power of Omens debut, and it definitely has some challenges. I'll check this out!

This has got your name written all over it. :wink:

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:59 pm

Random Axe wrote:One of my all time favorites is the Power of Omens debut, and it definitely has some challenges. I'll check this out!

I rarely pull out that disc because it is so dense and difficult to appreciate. Rooms of Anguish I found to be more digestible even if it went even more ridiculously over the top on a technical level. The sort of balance and smart songwriting that makes this Tetrafusion so great.

The Surfing Alien

Postby The Surfing Alien » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:22 am

Wow, this is really good. Smooth and melodic AND complex.

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:00 am

The Surfing Alien wrote:Wow, this is really good. Smooth and melodic AND complex.

Hey my favourite Alien, you should come around here more often, we have a way of digging some gems. :wink:

Return to “PM: Core”