Voyager - Ghost Mile

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Man Of Much Metal

Voyager - Ghost Mile

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:55 pm

Hi All,

Apologies for yet another review, but I'm thinking that this might be of real interest around these parts. Voyager are on a massive upward trajectory & it's well deserved as far as I'm concerned.

I hope you like the review.

https://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/20 ... um-review/

Cheers,

Matt
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: http://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/

Mardoch

Re: Voyager - Ghost Mile - my review

Postby Mardoch » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:11 pm

9.9, I would expect little else. This is going to shoot to the top of my year end list I am certain. I can't friggin wait for mine to arrive from those distant shores.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:19 pm

Love me some Voyager big time! All over this!
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:28 am

For whatever reason, and it's not for a lack of trying on my part, this is a band that has just never clicked with me. They were fantastic live, and I love the quirky almost 80's-ish elements to the music, but somehow the studio albums don't do much at all for me..... I'll probably give this one a try also, as eventually I feel like something SHOULD click.....
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LASERCD

Postby LASERCD » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:15 am

Its a very nice album. 8)

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:12 pm

I have now heard the official album stream and this is a phenomenal record. The song structures are more varied and challenging, as evidenced by the techno-funk-pop-metal mashup "What a Wonderful Day" and the complete craziness that is the title track. Among many other highlights of this hodgepodge, that double kick part in the middle seems twice as fast as anything Voyager have ever played. The band seem wholly confident in trying new things and not giving a rap what anyone thinks because their music is so assured of itself.

The production is astoundingly powerful and clear with the bass in particular standing out in the mix. The metallic tone and thick, rhythmic playing sound like Amos Williams of TesseracT. The drumwork is stellar, the riffs are top-shelf and often brutally heavy, and yet contrast more often with clean-channel sections for added texture. The vocal performance is rock-solid as always but standouts include the gorgeous counterpoint climax of "This Gentle Earth (1981)."

Ghost Mile has plenty of competition but it is very likely to rank in my top 10 or, at least, 15.

BumZen

Postby BumZen » Fri May 12, 2017 10:29 am

Great album indeed
Skambamse

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Wed May 17, 2017 10:39 pm

Finally got my copy in today. No more need for listening on Youtube.

This album's brilliant, and quirky, and heavy, and basically everything I want from Voyager and my prog metal more broadly.

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Tue May 23, 2017 8:15 am

By far the best thing they have ever released...
Definitely a twist in their sound,all for the good
Seemingly more progressive and experimental,a bit heavier,has a wall of sound feel at times...more lush keys....more electronic
Without sacrificing the catchy hooks and melodies they were known for
This has everything I like about prog metal in abundance
Tarja is a female woman

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Voyager - Ghost Mile

Postby LarryD » Mon May 29, 2017 5:31 pm

Got my copy thanks to The Lasers Edge ..........

it's so hard to pick out a fave from this band ....... you think about the live shows they put on at Prog Power, and then you think of all the discs they have put out ..... instead of trying to distinguish one from the other, I like to say that this band just keeps on delivering on all counts. They just keep on putting out great discs with each release. This one is no different although if I had to nit-pick I would say that there isn't as much "urgency" in this one compared to say "The Meaning of I" or "V". But that's nit-picking. This band is just fun to listen to, and we all know how hard it is to describe this band in detail. This is another winner from a band that just keeps on kicking ass and taking names later on - in their own way. If you like Voyager, you will like this disc. It's Voyager - it's fun - it's kick ass........

Testofwills

Postby Testofwills » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:05 pm

Man this album is really growing on me...They can do no wrong..Gentle Earth is just spellbinding..at only 3.30seconds I wish it was at least 2 mins longer...Pure gold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

The Surfing Alien

Postby The Surfing Alien » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:21 am

I like the new sonic elements, but overall I feel that this is one of the less catchy albums from them. Fave here is probably What a wonderful World.

Return to “PM: Core”