Happy Anniversary to us !!!! Well, sort of ......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Happy Anniversary to us !!!! Well, sort of ......

Postby LarryD » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:41 am

We are 3 days past our 13th anniversary of this board........ somehow I miscalculated and well, he we are !!!!! As most of you know we started this board way back in the 90's, and the reason was to promote Progressive music around the world and get it out to to masses, which I feel all of us have done in spades. Thanks to visions of people like Dietrick, the original creator of this board, Erik Welty who started his own database of progressive bands and shared it on the Internet, as well as educate Ken Golden and me on the large quantity of prog metal bands out there in the 90's that we didn't know about ..... Ken Golden who started providing us with this great music so many years ago, Keith Menser for starting Powermad, and Glenn Harveston for bringing it all together with ProgPower and giving us a chance to finally see every band we could possibly imagine right here in the USA. If you think about the timeline that this all happened, and look to see where we are now, it is quite a monstrous achievement on everyone's part.

As I write this, I think about everything that has happened along the way of this musical journey, and I start to think about the friendships, the losses, the many people who have come and gone - I could write a whole story on the history of this board and it's people...... but let me stop here and just say thank you once again to everyone to has stuck around from the beginning, who joined here yesterday, and those who have contributed, read or benefited from this board...... if it has given you the direction to the music you love most, then this board has been and is still worth it.

***I'll be doing a little bit of housecleaning today behind the scenes...... if you could be so kind just to check your private email boxes and clear out any you don't need, I would appreciate that very much. Here is to another 10 years !!!!!

Sparky

Re: Happy Anniversary to us !!!! Well, sort of ......

Postby Sparky » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:13 am

Well said, sir. Thanks for providing a great environment!

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:00 am

Been around the PM Boards since 1997 so it's 20 years now. How time flies by...

I'll add my voice to Sparky's and give you a big shout out bro for all the work you put in here. I'm also sending a huge thank you to The ~D for his efforts on the earlier version of it.

After all those years, I still read the board almost every day. That's gotta mean something... :)
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:19 am

I'm around since 1997 too. Thanks to all who created these great boards back then and still maintain them nowadays! Still love to read and comment!

T'ski

Postby T'ski » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:33 am

I'm glad I found this place back in the 90's as well. My wallet on the other hand....

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:50 am

T'ski wrote:I'm glad I found this place back in the 90's as well. My wallet on the other hand....

***Don't feel bad -- a long time ago I took out a 2nd mortgage on my house just for The Lasers Edge ......I think that was back in the early 2000s ...... I'm still paying it off....... :?

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:57 am

Remember the day I met you at Powermad 2000
Someone intreduced me to on you as " that dude from Eye of the Storm" (and I remember you might have had a few to drink that day)and it was at that time I found out how much of an underground thing that disk was (as I was one of the few that never owned a computer or was online at the time)
Did not know this scene existed as much as it did (I mean..I had found Kamelot through a friend,and was familiar with bands such as Angra,Symphony X,Lethal,Divine Regal,ect..)
Needless to say my life changed the second you introduced me to Ken Golden...
Tarja is a female woman

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:16 am

Some great memories are from 2012. When I finally was able to bring my ass to ProgPower for the very first time, and finally meet all these great people I only knew from the internet for so many years!! Didn't miss a PP since then, got to meet my buddies once a year!

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:58 pm

Don't even recall at this point how or when I stumbled in here, as it feels like this group has somehow been here forever now! Those early days were very much magical.... Hearing names of bands compared to other bands, and following these chains like breadcrumbs. Initially it was so incredibly hard to find any of these bands that MidKnight and I would take a list of names to local stores, and look in their special order catalogues to try and split them up so we could order and sample as much as possible. Ken and Laser's Edge along with Jason and the Dreamdisc team in Indiana, and Impulse Music (then) out of Chicago were the staple spots once we discovered them..... Ken's paper catalogue still sits proudly in my house, and I know I read that thing pretty much cover to cover picking out stuff to order.... All of it blind! Hard to imagine that nowadays....

Glenn of course was the next big thing, putting together that first ProgPower in Chicago. We drove out there from Detroit in February, as we figured that might well be our only real chance of seeing Symphony X, Pain of Salvation, Evergrey.... Never imagining that that one little show would grow into the annual monster it has become. Never in my wildest imagination did I think I would be lucky enough to have seen all the bands that I have. My wife asks every now and then about how many bands I still have on my bucket list, and it is amazing to me how FEW there really are. Arena, Within Temptation, Kiske-era Helloween if I'm lucky, Ayreon (LOL! I can dream!)..... That's honestly about it.

And to think it really all did come from here. We're all a bunch of musical misfits that somehow stumbled our way from different places into a common home, and I am thankful to be able to hop in almost daily, even if I don't have a chance to participate as much as I'd like. To Larry, to D, to Glenn, to Ken..... To everyone involved who helped take this ONE STEP FURTHER, who helped make this music just a bit more accessible over the years, a very heartfelt and sincere THANK YOU. This music is without question my number one form of stress relief, and I simply cannot imagine life without it.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:19 pm

Although I've been in and out for the last decade, I joined the original board in 1998 I believe, a random link from the Heady Metal site I clicked on. I hate that I still to his day have not met any of you in person, which is a source of regret.

I hope to have provided a miniscule contribution over the last 18 years. My benefits far outweighed anything I brought to the table as I've learned soooooo much.

I have a ridiculous amount of love and respect for my fellow members, specifically Larry and Stevie who kept up with me and checked in on me when tragedy struck in 2015.

Let's keep this going till we're in our 70s. Retirement communities jamming to Fates and Queensryche is such a refreshing thought.

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:19 pm

It's my home page since 1997 I Think... 20 Years!!!

Thanks a lot to all of you people!!!!

I consider this forum semi-private. Please don't ever move it to Facebook... Here I can discuss music in peace...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Manuel Cedeno

Postby Manuel Cedeno » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:14 am

I found "Cheese's No Exit" website around 1996 and the message/trade board there led me to PM in 1997, and my musical tastes and knowledge expanded immediately. Back then I was just a kid and it felt like I had found the holly grail. Then met a bunch of you guys in Powermad 99 and it felt like a big family. Then on to Progpower and the rest is history. I've strayed off a couple of times over the years but every time I come back things are in good shape and I discover great music thanks to all of you. Thank you guys. Cheers!!!

sez

Postby sez » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:41 pm

I've been here since the 90s as well. I've learned so much from this board; thank you to everyone! It's awesome to be able to discover and discuss our music with such a knowledgeable group of people!

Kez

Postby Kez » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:49 pm

Most has already been said, but let me add my thanks and appreciation to ALL who have created and held this community together all these years. I still can't believe I took a shot and headed to North Baltimore one year to see some bands in an Elks Lodge, and am still in contact with many of those I met that weekend, thanks to PM, PPUSA, and all you fine humans. I feel very privileged to be a part of all this.

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:48 pm

Random Axe wrote:Although I've been in and out for the last decade, I joined the original board in 1998 I believe, a random link from the Heady Metal site I clicked on. I hate that I still to his day have not met any of you in person, which is a source of regret.

I hope to have provided a miniscule contribution over the last 18 years. My benefits far outweighed anything I brought to the table as I've learned soooooo much.

I have a ridiculous amount of love and respect for my fellow members, specifically Larry and Stevie who kept up with me and checked in on me when tragedy struck in 2015.

Let's keep this going till we're in our 70s. Retirement communities jamming to Fates and Queensryche is such a refreshing thought.

So glad you're doing better bro! Always nice chatting with you and I'm glad you're back. :)

About that retirement community, it's been discussed with some members here. How cool would that be? Rocking it out with a walker or a wheelchair! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:07 pm

Wow how time flies! I found the original board when I got my first puter. First thing I did was search for bands like Dream Theater, and found the original board. That was easily over 20 years ago. Met some friends, actually family through PM. Thanks to all you great people that make this place so cool.

Thanks brother Larry for the work you put into this place!
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

David D

Postby David D » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:08 pm

As a physical therapist - I can tell you rocking out in a Wheelchair is possible - not so much with a walker.

But I also want to thank you all for the board, band ideas and information, glenn for progpower - my first and only music fesitval of any kind I have ever attended - and will be attending again for the first time since progpower4- this september!!!!

I miss the trading of discs but with mp3/itunes - its not so needed.

Scott - specifically - you introduced me to Fragile vastness and Ascendia - both favorites of mine now.
go check out Meshiak - alliance of thieves - its hitting me just like the ascendia.

I discovered the board after reading Shadow Gallery won an award from the perpetual motion board in the 90s. Never turned back - have probably checked the board 5x per week every week since.(now both boards)

Met a few of you back at progpower 2-4 - maybe i will meet some more this time around -

I kind of stand out - I am the bald guy with no tattoos or piercings - who does not look metal at all - :)
But i am still sad all day with the passing of Paul O'neil - Savatage/TSO will always be one of my first love bands - and he was a musical genious.

So I am more metal than MOST!
Thank you all again - sorry for rambling

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:21 pm

David D wrote:As a physical therapist - I can tell you rocking out in a Wheelchair is possible - not so much with a walker.

But I also want to thank you all for the board, band ideas and information, glenn for progpower - my first and only music fesitval of any kind I have ever attended - and will be attending again for the first time since progpower4- this september!!!!

I miss the trading of discs but with mp3/itunes - its not so needed.

Scott - specifically - you introduced me to Fragile vastness and Ascendia - both favorites of mine now.
go check out Meshiak - alliance of thieves - its hitting me just like the ascendia.

I discovered the board after reading Shadow Gallery won an award from the perpetual motion board in the 90s. Never turned back - have probably checked the board 5x per week every week since.(now both boards)

Met a few of you back at progpower 2-4 - maybe i will meet some more this time around -

I kind of stand out - I am the bald guy with no tattoos or piercings - who does not look metal at all - :)
But i am still sad all day with the passing of Paul O'neil - Savatage/TSO will always be one of my first love bands - and he was a musical genious.

So I am more metal than MOST!
Thank you all again - sorry for rambling

Hey David,

I'll be happy to meet you in September. You'll have to come partying at the Room Of Death!!

And yes, Meshiaak is damn good stuff!

elendil

Postby elendil » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:42 am

Happy anniversary to all! Glad to see Facebook hasn't managed to kill off this web forum the way it has so many others. Just rejoined recently, hadn't participated since this was at the Mindcage site, but I participated regularly then. Never been to Progpower - never had the available cash, and then I went through a long period of disillusion with live metal. But always looking for ways to discover new (to me) music. The other tools that are out there now just don't work very well, especially for older stuff.

John Frank

Postby John Frank » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:52 pm

Speaking of the past, does anyone know how to get to more of the old board's archives other than this link?

https://web.archive.org/web/19980121144 ... board.html

I was specifically looking for the old Exact Science technical metal subforum.

Thanks.
"I never smile if I can help it. Showing one's teeth is a submission signal in primates. When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life." - Dwight Schrute

The Watcher

Postby The Watcher » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:28 pm

To David D: It nice to know I'm not the only one on here that's bald with no tattoos, and no piercings! I too do not look like a metal guy. My first love was prog-rock. My first metal was Black Sabbath. Dream Theater opened my eyes (and ears) to prog-metal. Thanks be to this board and it's predecessors for the wealth of information. I, like many, have found many new bands at this forum. I am now 60, and I will still be rockin' when I'm 70 and beyond. I will then change my moniker from "The Watcher", to "Captain Beyond", for those old enough to remember that band.
The Watcher..................................out!

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:12 pm

In high school & college in the 80's, all my friends were metalheads so I learned about new music from friends or Headbanger's Ball. In 1990 I graduated, got married to a non-metalhead and moved to a new city where the only person I knew was my wife. I was pretty lost music wise in the early 90's since I had lost all my sources of new music and the grunge they played on the radio was terrible. Since the only way to keep in touch with people was by making expensive long distance phone calls, I lost touch with lots of my old metalhead friends. I heard one song on the radio (besides bands I already liked) called Pull Me Under which really surprised me because I really liked it. Rush was my favorite band, but didn't really know what progressive music was at the time. There was something special about that song, but I didn't know what. I got on Usenet and found alt.music.metal.*, especially alt.music.metal.progressive. I started to discover what progressive metal was when I looked into this band called Dream Theater that wrote that song I liked on the radio. Then when I found the tie to Rush, I knew why I liked that song. I printed out Erik Welty's list of progressive metal bands and brought it into a record store in town that actually had progressive rock and progressive metal sections! I bought CDs by bands on that list and what was being talked about on alt.music.metal.progressive for high import prices. Some dude named Dietrick posted a message on alt.music.metal.progressive about some new forum called Perpetual Motion so I checked it out. This place was really, really special. During the 90's when I had lost contact with all my music friends, all of a sudden I found all these people that had exactly the same taste in music that I did. All these people because instant friends even though I hadn't met any of them yet. Then I got to meet them and Powermad & then PPUSA and they became even better friends. Then they became my chosen family. I now had my music community back that I lost in 1990 and I've been here ever since.

I am going to take the liberty of quoting myself from about a year ago. It all still applies. This place and you people are really special to me. I'm thankful for everyone that stepped up and started or kept some form of Perpetual Motion going for all these years including Dietrick, Larry, Neil, Kyle and others that have contributed.

And to David's comment about not looking metal, don't worry about it. ProgPower is a wide mix of people that look metal and those that don't look metal in black t-shirts. I'm not a tatoo or piercing guy, but I am currently rather un-bald.

Here's to the next 20 years!
Güy

Arnoldski

Postby Arnoldski » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:12 am

Cool!

I have always liked this place!

Happy anniversary to all!

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:27 pm

Arnoldski wrote:Cool!

I have always liked this place!

Happy anniversary to all!

Cool to see you checking in. Hows the new record coming along?

Arnoldski

Postby Arnoldski » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:59 pm

Yeah, I'm mostly lurking, but I enjoy reading some of the lengthy review posts from ProgPower-fest and some releases etc, so I pop in from time to time to endulge!

On the downside, it is taking forever, mostly due to one man's other endeavours....
On the upside, I seriously think it might be some of our best work ever.

Music is all done and recorded since a while back, some icing on the cake still being added. Tommy and I are working on lyrics and he is recording as we proceed.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:09 pm

Yeah, I'm mostly lurking, but I enjoy reading some of the lengthy review posts from ProgPower-fest and some releases etc, so I pop in from time to time to endulge!

On the downside, it is taking forever, mostly due to one man's other endeavours....

Music is all done and recorded since a while back, some icing on the cake still being added. Tommy and I are working on lyrics and he is recording as we proceed.

This album is becoming the Chinese Democracy of prog metal. :P

Frustrating as it is to wait for this, I expect it to be nothing less than spectacular. Watching the Atlanta DVD and playing the two new songs just highlights how impatient I am for more new material.

Arnoldski

Postby Arnoldski » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:33 pm

I know, right?!

I am quite honestly ashamed it turned out like this. For the longest time I planned and enforced every thing this band did, but sometime around 2010 I just ran out fo steam, and let it "drift", kinda hoping somebody would pick up the stick, know what I mean?
This way of working really is unsatisfactory, but I have kinda given in and accepted that it is going to be this way or no way, so I decided it is better than nothing. It won't be much longer until we have something with vocals to share, and I think people will get exactly what they are hoping for. We didn't go Load on everybody!

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:48 pm

We didn't go Load on everybody!

I'd forgive Load. I won't forgive Lulu!

Now, if you incorporate some Lalu, that would be ok......

As far as the delays..... How many bands have come and gone in the time since the first SW album? It would have been easy to call it a day, but you keep persevering and it WILL be worth the wait..... Eventually.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Arnoldski wrote:Yeah, I'm mostly lurking, but I enjoy reading some of the lengthy review posts from ProgPower-fest and some releases etc, so I pop in from time to time to endulge!

Arnoldski wrote:I know, right?!

I am quite honestly ashamed it turned out like this. For the longest time I planned and enforced every thing this band did, but sometime around 2010 I just ran out fo steam, and let it "drift", kinda hoping somebody would pick up the stick, know what I mean?
This way of working really is unsatisfactory, but I have kinda given in and accepted that it is going to be this way or no way, so I decided it is better than nothing. It won't be much longer until we have something with vocals to share, and I think people will get exactly what they are hoping for. We didn't go Load on everybody!

You saying it is some of your best work is saying a lot. As if my expectations could get any higher. lol It is a bit frustrating that it is taking so long, but I'd rather that and it turns out to be the record you guys want. That is certainly better than rushing it just for the sake of getting it out.

Btw now sure if you remember, but thanks for giving my son some bass tips about arpeggio sweeps and such in the lobby at PP last time you were there. I can not begin to describe just what that meant to him. I was sorry to miss that. He is becoming a pretty awesome bass player. :D

Arnoldski

Postby Arnoldski » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:02 am

Wow great to hear!
Tell him to drop me a note on Facebook or the forum or similar if he wants to ask some more questions.

Best,
Andreas

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:16 am

Arnoldski wrote:Wow great to hear!
Tell him to drop me a note on Facebook or the forum or similar if he wants to ask some more questions.

Best,
Andreas

Will do. Thanks man!

Packgrog

Postby Packgrog » Tue May 02, 2017 9:47 am

20 years since I found the first Perp board and made my first order from Ken, too, though I've been less and less active over the years. Amazing how time flies. I still remember the albums I bought in that first lasercd order: PoS - Entropia, SyX - Divine Wings, Lions Share - two, The Quiet Room - Introspect, Empty Tremor - Apocolokyntosis, possibly one or two others as well. What a long, strange trip.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue May 02, 2017 10:05 am

PoS - Entropia, SyX - Divine Wings, Lions Share - two, The Quiet Room - Introspect, Empty Tremor - Apocolokyntosis

Now that is a great haul! I have all of those, and actually just listened to Quiet Room yesterday!

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Tue May 02, 2017 1:05 pm

Packgrog wrote:20 years since I found the first Perp board and made my first order from Ken, too, though I've been less and less active over the years. Amazing how time flies. I still remember the albums I bought in that first lasercd order: PoS - Entropia, SyX - Divine Wings, Lions Share - two, The Quiet Room - Introspect, Empty Tremor - Apocolokyntosis, possibly one or two others as well. What a long, strange trip.

Symphony X - Divine Wings and Lions Share - Two are 2 classics I still play regularly!

Judas

Postby Judas » Fri May 26, 2017 2:44 pm

Stevie WOnder wrote:Been around the PM Boards since 1997 so it's 20 years now. How time flies by...

Same here , 1996 or 7 who can remember.

I remember in 98 I asked larry if he can buy for me Evergrey's Dark Discovery (still their best album)
that I couldn't find anywhere in my location,and send it to me, he agreed without hesitation.

Judas

Return to “PM: Core”