Some discs from the past - the test of time ?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Some discs from the past - the test of time ?

Postby LarryD » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:57 pm

Hey everyone --

In a couple of days, we are going to reach our 13th year here on this board, and the 19th or so year of the existence of the Perpetual Motion Board overall. In celebration of that, I'm going through my CD collection and clearing off the cobwebs and dust of some discs of the past that I have not played in some time to see if they stand the test of time .......I grabbed a handful today, and I'll go through more in the upcoming weeks.......let's get some talk going on these old gems, or not .......I'll do some write ups on these discs as we go ...... but in the meantime, check your collections and see if you have these discs lying around and push PLAY to see what happens...

Z-LOT-Z / '92
SCENARIO / A Fearful Symmetry
EMPYRIOS / The EverSinner
VENTURIA / The New Kingdom
SECRET SPHERE / A Time Never Come
EYEFEAR / A World Full of Grey / 9 Elements of Inner Vision
FREEDOM CALL / Stairway to Fairyland
ROCKENFIELD / SPEER - Hell's Canyon
MEMORY GARDEN / Tides
DEFYANCE / Time Lost
MINDSPLIT / Charmed Human Art of Significance
MOONLIGHT COMEDY / Dorothy
FACTORY OF ART / Grasp & Point of No Return
THE EXPERIENCE / Insight
FORTRESS UNDER SEIGE / st
HORIZON / The Sky's the Limit & Worlds Apart

Hearing Aid Man

Re: Some discs from the past - the test of time ?

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:15 pm

I had a number of these titles, but cleared them out because they were collecting dust. Not a single one in my collection now. Probably should have kept the Z Lot Z. I listened to some of their stuff on youtube recently and it sounded quite good. As for the others on this list I only remember Scenario. I think it had 2-3 tunes I really liked, but the rest was filler IMO.

redredread

Postby redredread » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:12 pm

The Eyefear albums I still play - but only in small doses as it's a bit samey - good: but samey. 9 Elements was probably their best IMHO

VENTURIA / The New Kingdom: now that is still a great album. Loved those male female vocals - shame they never stuck around long enough to build a following. The Hybrid that followed wasn't as good

Empyrios - and the rest is silence also gets some spins. Never heard the demo

Scenario - A Fearful Symmetry. Thanks for reminding me - i haven't played that for a while. Seem to remember the singer was the weakest link with them.

A few bands there I've never heard of to check out there too
It's better to burn out than fade away.

elendil

Postby elendil » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:44 pm

Have the Freedom Call but it's been years since I've listened. Fills a certain happy-metal niche that I rarely want to explore, but just in case...

Memory Garden's later albums are better than Tides IMO. Stuff like Verdict of Posterity and Mirage stand the test of time. I see on metal-archives.com that they have a couple of newer albums, which I haven't heard.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:05 am

***So here are some very quick thoughts on these as I passed through them quickly to see what happened...... I'll write up some of the better ones as I go .......

Z-LOT-Z / '92 > quality melodic metal
SCENARIO / A Fearful Symmetry > italian prog metal, groove oriented, accented average singer
EMPYRIOS / The EverSinner > horrible production; guitarist is Mike Romeo Jr, music excellent, singer is Italian normal for this time period.
VENTURIA / The New Kingdom > did not play this one, want to spend time with the whole disc
SECRET SPHERE / A Time Never Come > very good, better than I remember
EYEFEAR / A World Full of Grey / 9 Elements of Inner Vision > did not play
FREEDOM CALL / Stairway to Fairyland > very good for this typer of metal, which I didn't spend too much time with; it all began to sound like this
ROCKENFIELD / SPEER - Hell's Canyon
MEMORY GARDEN / Tides
DEFYANCE / Time Lost
MINDSPLIT / Charmed Human Art of Significance > I need to find this one; superb crunching melodic prog metal with gritty singer like Sinbreed dude; Swedish
MOONLIGHT COMEDY / Dorothy > Italian prog metal that went under the radar; nice chops; quirky, female narrations from Dorothy, ok singer
FACTORY OF ART / Grasp & Point of No Return > did not play
THE EXPERIENCE / Insight > Incredible power / melodic metal with gargling singer; music is epic, singing is tough to take but worth it; Ayreon meets P Floyd
FORTRESS UNDER SEIGE / st > did not play
HORIZON / The Sky's the Limit & Worlds Apart > incredible melodic metal with crunching guitars and melodies from the stars; guitars rip you up; good singer

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:18 am

I still think only one disc from Scenario is nothing short of a tragedy.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:22 am

MINDSPLIT / Charmed Human Art of Significance > I need to find this one; superb crunching melodic prog metal with gritty singer like Sinbreed dude; Swedish

https://www.nehrecords.com/SHOP/FrameSale.html :wink:

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:36 am

Hearing Aid Man wrote:

https://www.nehrecords.com/SHOP/FrameSale.html :wink:

***Thanks bro -- you ever use them before ? $5.00 is awesome for that disc.

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:00 pm

Excellent vendor just like that place out in NJ. They run a handful of $5 overstock CD's each week on Wednesdays, but often pull titles from the list once they move a few.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:17 pm

Hearing Aid Man wrote:

Excellent vendor just like that place out in NJ. They run a handful of $5 overstock CD's each week on Wednesdays, but often pull titles from the list once they move a few.

***Thanks a bunch !!!!!!

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:44 pm

Gods, I LOVE these sorts of threads!!! Alas, this list has more stuff on it that I never heard than most I see, so not able to contribute as much this time....

SCENARIO / A Fearful Symmetry - Love this disc, pure DT worship prog metal but very well done. Seems like this came out about the same time as Hungary's Stonehenge, which got more play time for me....

EMPYRIOS / The EverSinner - Seems like I recall a couple discs from these guys, but production was a bit of an issue for me. Don't recall this album title though, so I may be way off.

VENTURIA / The New Kingdom - Like it, didn't love it. I do enjoy the dual vocals, but the music was a bit light perhaps?

SECRET SPHERE / A Time Never Come - Far and away their best, and POSSIBLY one of the top 3-5 Italian power metal albums of all time. Listened to it again recently, and it still holds up very well. Every song is a classic. There is also a version available with Luppi on vocals, which is good but not essential.

FREEDOM CALL / Stairway to Fairyland - Just plain FUN. Happy power metal! Either love it or hate it I guess, and I'm in the "love it" camp.

DEFYANCE / Time Lost - Pretty sure I have this, but literally no memory of it at all.

MINDSPLIT / Charmed Human Art of Significance - Lost in a sea of "Mind...." bands. I know I own it, but couldn't tell you a thing about it. It wasn't Mindflow, it wasn't Mind Odyssey, it wasn't Mind's Eye.....

MOONLIGHT COMEDY / Dorothy - Another one that I think was pretty good, but whenever I look at it I grab Moonlight Agony with Chity on vocals instead, as that album kicks all kinds of ass.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:53 pm

Jay --

I'm going to be putting up a lot of these posts in the future ....... I'm going through my collection and picking out things I haven't touched in years and I'm putting them on the CD player to see what happens .......

You're right on the money with your comments on the bands ........although I didn't have as much fun as you did on Freedom Call ....... :wink:

That Empyrios I listed is a 3-song EP that came right from the band, so I gather that most didn't hear that one, but as you said they did release full discs and the productions were awful .......

Some of those discs, like Fortress Under Seige, were discs from the earliest stages of the Internet movement that we started way back in the 90s ....... you can bet that if Glenn or Todd is reading this, they are either laughing or crying with joy at the good old days .......most of the this stuff I got from The Lasers Edge back in the early days, and even though lots of it is horrible by today's standards, something prevents me from getting rid of a lot of it ........

Like that Everwood disc ..... it is so hard for me to remember who actually pointed out certain discs to me, but I'm pretty sure Uncle Claus directed me to that gem......

And The Experience - I remember Glenn playing this monster for me and Todd, I think it was in a hotel back in the Powermad days, and I was being introduced to growlies at the time ...... I imagine lots of these discs are non-existent, but it's really cool to go back in time and listen to how it all started .......

So I'll keep putting up these gems little bits at a time and see what happens ..... I thought it would be a great way to celebrate the 19th or 20th anniversary of this board........

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:42 pm

LarryD wrote:
Z-LOT-Z / '92
Used to like it quite a bit. Don't remember much of it though...

EYEFEAR / A World Full of Grey / 9 Elements of Inner Vision
Used to like them as well, don't recall a lot...

FREEDOM CALL / Stairway to Fairyland
Was never a fan

MEMORY GARDEN / Tides
Enjoyed some stuff from them, but no big doom fan...

DEFYANCE / Time Lost
Liked this quite a bit, don't remember it much

FORTRESS UNDER SEIGE / st
Think it was really proggy? Don'T recall a lot...

HORIZON / The Sky's the Limit & Worlds Apart
Would need to play it again, but remember thinking it was really average. I still have the Worlds Apart disc, will revisit it...
Last edited by Guillaume on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:17 am

Wow, soooo many good discs mentioned in this thread. There are things mentioned here that I've not listened to for years. I've been so lazy getting my older stuff (the majority of my collection) moved to my phone. I need to fix that asap.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

Return to “PM: Core”