Glynn Morgan returns to THRESHOLD!

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Esanssi

Glynn Morgan returns to THRESHOLD!

Postby Esanssi » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:36 am

From their FB-page:

THRESHOLD ANNOUNCE NEW VOCALIST

THRESHOLD have parted ways with vocalist Damian Wilson. The band have chosen to start a new chapter without him and he has told them he respects their decision.

Wilson enjoyed three stints with THRESHOLD, performing on the band's most recent records "For The Journey" and "March Of Progress" as well as their early releases "Wounded Land" and "Extinct Instinct" in the 1990's. Damian Wilson has been a great frontman for THRESHOLD and the band would like to sincerely thank him and wish him every success in his future endeavours.

THRESHOLD's new frontman will be Glynn Morgan, the band's former vocalist from 1994 to 1996. Morgan appeared on THRESHOLD's 1994 album "Psychedelicatessen" and returned to work with the band in 2008 to record tracks for the singles box set "Paradox".

Glynn Morgan commented:
"I was over the moon when I got the phone call. To work with Karl and Richard and be a part of the mighty THRESHOLD story once more is a great honour. I can't wait to start recording, the new material has me hooked already."

You can watch Glynn Morgan in action with THRESHOLD in their 1994 video 'Innocent' here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcbTprYFZ6s
The long road is a rainbow and the pot of gold lies there. So slip the chain and I'm off again ---
You'll find me everywhere. I'm a Rover.
- Jethro Tull - Rover

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Glynn Morgan returns to THRESHOLD!

Postby LarryD » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:48 am

If you hear someone yelling in joy -- that would be Stevie all the way up in Quebec ........I can hear him down here in RI.

Who knew right ? I finally got used to Damian singing for them, then they go back to the original (and great) vocalist. Wow, what goes around comes around.......

Harvester

Postby Harvester » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:05 am

Just so folks know...

Damian was fired from the band per his post on his Facebook page.

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:33 am

We know Damian had already finished recording vocals, so the implication is that Glynn will re-do the vocals.

I really hope they didn't let Damian record the whole thing, and then fire him and never use any of it.

Nos

Postby Nos » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:50 am

Sounds to me like there's more to the story. This coming so out of the blue, even to Damian, is weird.

But since they can't bring Mac back, I can't say anything they do is all that exciting to me.

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:00 am

SURELY they're not going to re-record the vocals on the new disc. Don't they have a release date soon?

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:04 am

You got that right Larry brother!!

I'm beyond thrilled! I absolutely loved Psychedelicatessen. I still hold it as their best by far with Morgan fitting perfectly according to me. Dark, emotional, melodic. crunchy....

I was just reading the PPUSA FB page and it's a no go over there. I figure the music will talk in the end but I, for one, am really happy with the news.

As for Damian, I love the guy's singing but the last few discs were written with Mac in mind so I didn't think it was that much of a good fit. I'm curious if they'll let Morgan add his input to make the music his own. We'll see...
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:05 am

Sparky wrote:SURELY they're not going to re-record the vocals on the new disc. Don't they have a release date soon?

They have to, that would be akward to put a disc out with a guy's voice which you just fired...

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:09 am

I love both Damian and Glynn, so this is a win/win lose/lose situation. I'd love it if they could somehow use BOTH, but that is a pipe dream.....

Sounds like there is a lot of backstory here.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Esanssi

Postby Esanssi » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:19 am

Damian shares his view:
Damian Wilson's statement regarding the departure from Threshold:

Unfortunately this is not a mutual decision, but I respect it. After I had recorded the album and committed to the tour I was informed that Threshold were going to continue on without me. They have every right to make this choice, although it is difficult to part ways with a group of people you’ve shared so many experiences with.
I really enjoyed the past decade recording and touring with Threshold and wish them all the best for the future, with the hope we might work again on projects somewhere down the line.

The label Nuclear Blast are amazing, and with the wonderful support of the fan base the whole journey of being the frontman for Threshold has been fantastic.
The long road is a rainbow and the pot of gold lies there. So slip the chain and I'm off again ---

- Jethro Tull - Rover

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:52 am

Esanssi wrote:Damian shares his view:
Damian Wilson's statement regarding the departure from Threshold:

Unfortunately this is not a mutual decision, but I respect it. After I had recorded the album and committed to the tour I was informed that Threshold were going to continue on without me. They have every right to make this choice, although it is difficult to part ways with a group of people you’ve shared so many experiences with.
I really enjoyed the past decade recording and touring with Threshold and wish them all the best for the future, with the hope we might work again on projects somewhere down the line.

The label Nuclear Blast are amazing, and with the wonderful support of the fan base the whole journey of being the frontman for Threshold has been fantastic.

As Guillaume pointed out to me, it might be that the stuff is heavier and not suited for Damian or it's a comportemental issue as stated elsewhere. Damian has been known to be a party animal...

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:38 am

I've always had the impression that Damian might not be the easiest guy to work with, and he was helping the band out after Mac died. I just can't imagine that stunts like the stripper at PPUSA were all that cool with the rest of the band. I might be wrong - Damian might be a great guy, but I can very easily see him being a bit of a diva.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:39 pm

LarryD wrote:If you hear someone yelling in joy -- that would be Stevie all the way up in Quebec ........I can hear him down here in RI.

Who knew right ? I finally got used to Damian singing for them, then they go back to the original (and great) vocalist. Wow, what goes around comes around.......

Damian Wilson was the original vocalist on 1993's Wounded Land. Glynn Morgan arrived on the 2nd album the year after. :wink:

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:42 pm

Glynn Morgan has to re-record all vocals, otherwise it would make no sense... Who knew Threshold would ever have something in common with Quiet Riot (or what's left of them) who are facing the very same situation this year!! :lol:

That being said, something important must have happened. Because having Wilson record all the songs and then fire him is really not cool....

Nos

Postby Nos » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:52 pm

Guillaume wrote:Glynn Morgan has to re-record all vocals, otherwise it would make no sense... Who knew Threshold would ever have something in common with Quiet Riot (or what's left of them) who are facing the very same situation this year!! :lol:

It's also a great way to kill interest in the album, for both bands. It's them saying, "we have this album we wrote with/for one singer, but now you have to listen to someone else we didn't have in mind try to pull it off instead." They're admitting they find the voice of the band, which is often the most important element for fans, to be disposable.

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:00 pm

Nos wrote:
Guillaume wrote:Glynn Morgan has to re-record all vocals, otherwise it would make no sense... Who knew Threshold would ever have something in common with Quiet Riot (or what's left of them) who are facing the very same situation this year!! :lol:

It's also a great way to kill interest in the album, for both bands. It's them saying, "we have this album we wrote with/for one singer, but now you have to listen to someone else we didn't have in mind try to pull it off instead." They're admitting they find the voice of the band, which is often the most important element for fans, to be disposable.

If they give Morgan enough time to work on the melodies, and maybe change a few of them, it can work out really in the end. If they have him re-record exactly the same way that Wilson sang them in the first place, maybe you'll be right.

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:23 pm

Guillaume wrote:
Nos wrote:

If they give Morgan enough time to work on the melodies, and maybe change a few of them, it can work out really in the end. If they have him re-record exactly the same way that Wilson sang them in the first place, maybe you'll be right.

Not really having heard Morgan before (I came rather late to Threshold), I just listened to a bit of Psycho... and I was thinking that I could *easily* hear Wilson singing the same material. Morgan and Wilson really aren't *that* far apart. Similarly, I thought Wilson did a fine job with the Dead Reckoning material at PPUSA. It doesn't sound to me like they're writing for a particular vocalist. And I *really* don't see them going through the expense of re-cutting the vocals. Morgan is gonna sing it live and do a decent job of it.

Then again, I could be wrong...odd that the band didn't come right out and state this in their announcement.

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:24 pm

I'll totally sidestep the singer switch to say that, for whatever reason, the switch just flipped for me and I'm totally digging this band finally. I tried a few times over the years and decades but it took till this afternoon to really "feel" Threshold.

My introduction was with Mac, and I was less than impressed if I'm being honest. Now, today on my lunch break I played a few of his tunes from a couple of albums and wow was I taken by surprise. Everything just suddenly clicked.

Now I'm adding his five albums to my buy list. I thought the one song with Glynn sounded fantastic too. I'm still not sold on Wilson but I'm open to it.

I return you to your regularly scheduled debate...

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:11 pm

Didn't Glynn state he was excited to start recording in his statement?

To me that implies they are re-recording the vocals with Glynn.

Esanssi

Postby Esanssi » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:26 am

Pete Morten has also stepped down from Threshold, though this happened already in February. Wonder if they have already called Nick Midson to come back :)

From Thresh.net:

Pete Morten has decided to step down from Threshold to focus on his own band. Pete first provided cover for former guitarist Nick Midson in 2007 and ended up working with the band for ten years, appearing on two studio albums and performing shows in 22 countries.

Pete has been much loved by both the band and fans alike and we’ll look back on this past chapter with good memories. We would like to sincerely thank him for being part of our journey and wish him success with his future endeavours.

Threshold are currently working on their new concept album “Legends Of The Shires” and are not looking to replace him at the moment. The band will be back on tour in November.

Glynn will 100 % sure re-record the vocals (otherwise it wouldn't make sense) but it would be cool to have a 2CD version of "Legends of the Shires" including both vocalists. I don't think that will happen, though. They should mix and master the album twice etc.

- Jethro Tull - Rover

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 pm

I totally jumped in the deep end of the Threshold pool today. I gave the newer albums some youtube time with Wilson and now I'm digging those too.

So, going through Amazon I picked up EIGHT cds today. I currently own zero Threshold.

Hypothetical
Dead Reckoning
March
The Journey
Psyche
Critical
Clone
Subsurface

Today is a minor celebration as Julie and I closed on our house so I want some new move in music!

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:50 am

So, going through Amazon I picked up EIGHT cds today. I currently own zero Threshold.

Nice work!!!! And congrats on the house..... Can't wait to hear your thoughts on these. Did you skip Wounded Land and Extinct Instinct on purpose? Those are actually two of my favorites.....

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:32 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:

Nice work!!!! And congrats on the house..... Can't wait to hear your thoughts on these. Did you skip Wounded Land and Extinct Instinct on purpose? Those are actually two of my favorites.....

I'll vouch for Extinct Instinct. This is definitely their proggiest and it has Damian on vox. The track Eat the Unicorn alone is worth paying for the whole disc.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:04 am

Hypothetical > awesome
Dead Reckoning > did not care for this
March > very well done
The Journey. > superb
Psyche > off the charts awesome
Critical > excellent
Clone > very good
Subsurface > didn't click with me

You will want Wounded Land at some point.........

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:50 am

I lost grabbed six from the same vendor for shipping discount, so I was limited to what cell carried. I'll eventually pick up the rest.

Yeah, I closed on my first house yesterday. I've got a huge media/family room that will be dedicated to movies and music. I'll have framed vinyl and movie posters all over.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:52 am

Don't listen to him. Larry is dead WRONG on this one. :)

This one is a more simplistic approach than their other albums (with Subsurface being the most similar), but is the most melodically engaging of any of theirs. With Threshold, I don't think I could pick one single favorite, but if I had to this would be a STRONG candidate.

Subsurface is, I think, their weakest effort.... And even then, it's not a BAD disc.... It's just not on par with what came before or after.

Make sure to find the other two, as they are among their best.

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:00 pm

LarryD wrote:Hypothetical > awesome *good*
Dead Reckoning > did not care for this *me neither*
March > very well done *didn't play it much*
The Journey. > superb *don't even remember it and I own it*
Psyche > off the charts awesome *definitely their best. Such a great disc that has aged so well. The remaster is better than the original*
Critical > excellent *Not bad*
Clone > very good *Best of Mac era*
Subsurface > didn't click with me *Don't remember it either*

You will want Wounded Land at some point......... *I thought WL was good but lacked something. They definitely remedied that on the next one which is Extinct Instinct. Second or third best behind Psych and neck to neck with Clone for me."

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:25 pm

LarryD wrote:Dead Reckoning > did not care for this

We have these threads from time to time where I have to beat the 'PoS's Scarsick is great' drum and I think Dead Reckoning is in that category too. I don't see how anyone - ESPECIALLY a Threshold fan - can listen to DR and go, 'Meh.' Then again, maybe because it's my favorite means there IS something different about it, hence the tepid reaction from others. I just feel that they came at that disc with an energy they failed to maintain on a bunch of the discs that came before it. And 'Pilot in the Sky of Dreams'? COME ON.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:29 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:

Don't listen to him. Larry is dead WRONG on this one. :)

This one is a more simplistic approach than their other albums (with Subsurface being the most similar), but is the most melodically engaging of any of theirs. With Threshold, I don't think I could pick one single favorite, but if I had to this would be a STRONG candidate.

Subsurface is, I think, their weakest effort.... And even then, it's not a BAD disc.... It's just not on par with what came before or after.

Make sure to find the other two, as they are among their best.

Totally agree about Dead Reckoning. It's my fave Threshold disc, along with Clone.

Extinct Instinct is my least fave I guess.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:35 pm

And 'Pilot in the Sky of Dreams'? COME ON.

***Thats the only song I remember from that disc - and a damn good song it is ..............

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:22 pm

LarryD wrote:Hypothetical > awesome
March > very well done
The Journey. > superb
Psyche > off the charts awesome
Critical > excellent
Clone > very good
Subsurface > didn't click with me

You will want Wounded Land at some point.........

Hypothetical > excellent; tight music but bad production
Dead Reckoning > fantastic; very heavy and very personal
March of Progress > incredible; very proggy and epic
For The Journey > incredible; March of Progress condensed
Psychedelicatessen > excellent; crushing heaviness
Critical Mass > excellent; mellow and ambient
Clone > very good; not as epic or memorable
Subsurface > incredible; smooth and rock solid

And then...

Wounded Land > very good; economical yet epic
Extinct Instinct > good; very experimental but inconsistent (the only one I don't have as a result)

Esanssi

Postby Esanssi » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:16 am

Hypothetical > good but not great. Can't stand "Turn On Tune In". Special Edition has a excellent acoustic version of Life Flow.
Dead Reckoning > excellent, probably their best. Never really cared for Pilot in the Sky of Dream, though :)
March of Progress > good but maybe a bit too long. Feels like a collection of (great) songs instead of an album.
For The Journey > average.
Psychedelicatessen > average, Morgan is excellent but songwriting is so-so.
Critical Mass > good, some great tunes and some not so great. The title track has one of the best solos Karl Groom has ever played.
Clone > Good, tight. No weak songs here. One of my favorites.
Subsurface > Great, epic and the disc I've played most from their discography.
Wounded Land > good, bad production.
Extinct Instinct > ok, their most proggy piece. Eat the Unicorn is out of this world!

- Jethro Tull - Rover

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:10 am

Esanssi wrote:Psychedelicatessen > average, Morgan is excellent but songwriting is so-so.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Esanssi

Postby Esanssi » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:46 pm

Stevie WOnder wrote:
Esanssi wrote:Psychedelicatessen > average, Morgan is excellent but songwriting is so-so.

I know. I *LOVE* Under the Sun and Innocent but somehow can't get into whole album. Mac-era works better for me :?

- Jethro Tull - Rover

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:36 pm

Esanssi wrote:
Stevie WOnder wrote:

I know. I *LOVE* Under the Sun and Innocent but somehow can't get into whole album. Mac-era works better for me :?

To each his own. I loved Mac on his first few albums but Clone is where it's at for me. The last few with him and Damian were way too chorus happy for me.

I know I'm in the minority though. :o

Return to “PM: Core”