Vangough / Warpaint ...... what happened ?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Vangough / Warpaint ...... what happened ?

Postby LarryD » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:53 pm

I haven't seen anyone talk about this disc yet ....... the anticipation build up was there, but not the reviews. I love early Vangough. With each disc though, I notice my enjoyment level going down and down. Manikin Parade ( to me ) is their monster, and definitely a hard disc to top and imo they have not.

While those early discs channeled (happily) shades of PoS .... this disc here seems to channel Tool this time. As I listen to each song, I keep asking when the melodies are going to kick in..... the music is very bland and dry. It's dark, moody and atmospheric - which is always a good thing - but the melodies are pretty much nowhere to be found.

The disc is based on one of the rabbits in the animated movie called "Watership Down" if you are familiar with that. It is a great movie, and one that I was hoping Vangough would bring out in the music. I didn't get to the lyrics at all as I was so disappointed in the music itself. The production is typical Vangough, and that is not a bad thing. I've played it about 3 times through, and I think I've had enough. Maybe I'm not on board with the progression of the band thru the years, but I'm sticking with Manikin Parade and Kingdom of Ruin as my go to Vangough.

Anyone else have thoughts on this disc ??

Nos

Re: Vangough / Warpaint ...... what happened ?

Postby Nos » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:43 am

I've been trying to block it from my memory, lol.

I listened to it just enough to write a review, and that was more than enough for me. I completely agree with you that it's a melody free snore of a time. The thought I kept having through the whole thing was "why did they make this album?" I honestly can't figure out what the driving force that made them write this record was. It's really that bland and bad.

devomeister

Postby devomeister » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:53 am

Huh, I really like it. Not as good as Between the Madness, which is my favorite, but it's also a very different beast. It's FAR better than their first two albums, IMO. This one sounds more in line with Leprous' past couple of albums. I like the splash of Alice in Chains. I personally think the melodies are infectious, and find myself humming the songs long after they've stopped playing. Like with the new Pain of Salvation, I hear boatloads of passion. Knell is the highlight of the album for me.

To each his own, I suppose.
Check out my professional portfolio:
https://chris_devo.artstation.com/

Check out my art blog:
http://chrisdevosartblog.blogspot.com/

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:50 pm

It's not a bad disc, but it comes off as second rate Leprous rather than carrying on the PoS torch Daniel dropped after Remedy Lane.

Leprous is extremely good at taking a song and slowly building, adding layers each time, to come to a glorious full-thoated climax (that sounds SO wrong as I type it....) Vangough tries to replicate it, but don't quite succeed.

Had I heard this without knowing it was Vangough, I would never have guessed it.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Wed May 03, 2017 6:09 pm

I really rather like this disc as you can see:

https://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/20 ... 17f34d8ad4

It's different from Manikin Parade for sure, but I dig it!

Cheers,
Matt
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: http://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/

The Surfing Alien

Postby The Surfing Alien » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:25 am

Yeah, definitely not as catchy as their best . Oh well..

Return to “PM: Core”