New Anathema news

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Chris R

New Anathema news

Postby Chris R » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:03 am

Called the Optimist..
Love the new song tge6bhave been playing live...probably near automatic for CD of the year (probably along with the new Kingcrow]

http://teamrock.com/news/2017-03-24/ana ... e-optimist
Tarja is a female woman

outprogged42

Re: New Anathema news

Postby outprogged42 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:11 pm

Apparently Anathema are continuing the story of a character appearing in "A Fine Day to Exit." The album cover might even be featuring the same car as that album's cover.

What I find so compelling about the last three albums (including this one) is how they have been steadily heading back in a darker direction but maintaining the hopeful, uplifting insight that defined We're Here Because We're Here. The name "The Optimist" simply exemplifies that mission statement of late, as well as the way Anathema are revisiting another past record's themes but in a new light, almost as if steadily answering each progressively darker previous album with a progressively darker but still hopeful new album.

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:55 pm

It's a shame A fine day as their one disk I just could not get into (the first few death metal disks kinda don't count)...I love the title track though.....but the rest.....ehhh
Tarja is a female woman

elendil

Postby elendil » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:11 pm

Definitely a no-look purchase, though in my view the quality of the last album was a little below that of the previous two. They've been mining that WHBWH sound for a bit, which is great, but they'll want to add some new elements to avoid a rut. Eager to hear what the new album is like.

T'ski

Postby T'ski » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:05 am

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:23 am

Was waiting to hear a good quality recording of this as this is the song of have seen on YouTube live

Based on this song alone if the rest of this disk sounds lIke this it's CD of the year..
Still has the sound of the last 3 disks with a slightly darker,heavier,almost Judgement era vibe..
Tarja is a female woman

Packgrog

Postby Packgrog » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:30 pm

Chris R wrote:It's a shame A fine day as their one disk I just could not get into (the first few death metal disks kinda don't count)...I love the title track though.....but the rest.....ehhh

I'd say give it another try after having some distance from it. I always kept it out of my playlist until more recently. I can appreciate it better within the context of the more recent albums. Still not their best, but not quite the disappointment that so many of us dismissed it as being.

Return to “PM: Core”