in prep of ProgPower - Next to None

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

David D

in prep of ProgPower - Next to None

Postby David D » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:56 am

finally got around to listening to samples on ProgPower site of the bands I did not know.

I was already excited for Lord of Black,Angel Dust, Myrath (3 greats in row), as well as Metal Church, Orphaned Land and Amaranthe

But..... Next to None .... this was my big surprise. Never heard of them - had no clue what to expect.......but WOW

its like Bullet for My Valentine, Dream Theater, Fates Warning and Into Eternity were mixed in a blender. And not a steady mix of the 4 - but variations as the sounds bounces between bands - clean vocals, extreme vocals that area always discernable, high pitched Bullet for my Valentine screams - and LOTS of keyboards. Long songs, short songs. Super heavy angry screaming then quiet introspective right after. Lyrics are even really good and emotional. This will be amazing live and I can't wait to see them now.

Great find Glenn!!!! Though I read they opened for Fates Warning so I guess they are not brand new.

Ordering now and definitely will be arriving early at Prog Power now!

David
Next to None - A light in the dark - (cover reminds me of Fates Warning - parallels for some reason)

devomeister

Re: in prep of ProgPower - Next to None

Postby devomeister » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:25 am

Their first album was one of my favorites from a couple of years back. This is Portnoy's kid's band iirc. Singer reminded me of the guy from Southern Cross. Aside from one or two songs, that first album rocked.

I really do need to post more...I even noted that no one ever mentioned this album, and it seems like something a lot of you guys would enjoy.
Check out my professional portfolio:
https://chris_devo.artstation.com/

Check out my art blog:
http://chrisdevosartblog.blogspot.com/

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:10 pm

The track I just checked out sounded a decent bit like LaBrie's solo stuff. Not bad at all. I'll have to give them more time.

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:44 pm

I did think this was a decent album but their primeval age does show itself. Their technical talent is great and thus the prog-metal passages are excellent, but the mellow parts don't have as much depth as they could. The singer sounds like his voice is still developing and his cleans can be slightly whiny. The screams tend to be good except when they really push the modern metal aspect and sound over the top.

I do think their live show will be quite impressive as it will capitalize on the energetic qualities of their sound.

Return to “PM: Core”