THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

User avatar
Guillaume
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:31 am
Location: Quebec City, Canada

THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

Postby Guillaume » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:27 pm

THE FERRYMEN will release their s/t album later this year on Frontiers.

This is a project featuring Magnus Karlsson (Free Fall, Primal Fear, Allen/Lande, Last Tribe...), Ronnie Romero (Lords Of Black, Rainbow) and Mike Terrana (ex-Rage, ex-Axel Rudi Pell...).

For those on Facebook, Frontiers released a teaser on their page today and it looks there is some great melodic metal coming!
https://www.facebook.com/frontiersmusic ... 40907z677/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=vDBAIBacVZk
Last edited by Guillaume on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nos
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

Postby Nos » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:28 pm

Frontiers has done a lot of good work with the melodic rock and metal world, keeping people's careers going when the other labels thought them past their time, and finding good new talent. I'm not sure I'm as much a fan of all these projects they keep putting together, in this style. Sure, several of them have been great (Nordic Union!), and most of them are at least plenty good. My issue is that I can't help but think that a lot of these writers are getting burned out, and it isn't helping their main gig.

I can't even count how many albums Magnus has written at this point. It's hard for him to come up with something nowadays that doesn't sound like things he's already done. Erik Martensson is starting to get there too. I just heard he has yet another band/project putting out an album this year.

It's nice for us, since we get a lot of albums, but I wonder if what we get would be of even higher quality if all these guys were able to focus their attention on their main project, and only release the best material they come up with.

And if Karlsson is going to keep churning these things out, why can't they set up another album for Bob Catley? "Immortal" is one of the greatest melodic metal albums of the last decade.

User avatar
Guillaume
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:31 am
Location: Quebec City, Canada

Re: THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

Postby Guillaume » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:46 pm

Here's the first song that is released. Sounds excellent to these ears!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY9M3x42ADg&

User avatar
Nos
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

Postby Nos » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:26 pm

I don't really get why everyone is so hot for Ronnie's voice, but he's ok, and the song is pretty darn good. They come out the same day, so I'm going to wager on this winding up being better than Jorn's new album.

User avatar
Stevie WOnder
Posts: 4319
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:06 am
Location: Quebec City

Re: THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

Postby Stevie WOnder » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:58 am

Nos wrote:I don't really get why everyone is so hot for Ronnie's voice, but he's ok, and the song is pretty darn good. They come out the same day, so I'm going to wager on this winding up being better than Jorn's new album.


Dude, you crack me up. You seriously put an effort in hating everything...

That being said, that song was awesome and I'm really looking forward to this disc. The guitar sound is edgy and up front, love it!

Romero is perfect as usual. There! I said it!! :P
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

User avatar
Sir Exar Kun
Posts: 2160
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:25 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:08 am

That being said, that song was awesome and I'm really looking forward to this disc. The guitar sound is edgy and up front, love it!

Romero is perfect as usual. There! I said it!!


I'm with you. Great song, and I have very high expectations for both this and the new Jorn album. With both efforts, it's all about the songwriting (Magnus Karlsson, Alex Beyrodt / Matt Sinner) and both are among my favorites.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

User avatar
Nos
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

Postby Nos » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:13 am

Stevie WOnder wrote:
Dude, you crack me up. You seriously put an effort of hating everything...


I said it's a darn good song. And I'm not saying he can't sing, but I don't get the people basically acting like he's the second coming of Dio. He's good, but he's not special. He's certainly no Jorn.

User avatar
Guillaume
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:31 am
Location: Quebec City, Canada

Re: THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

Postby Guillaume » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:23 am

Nos wrote:
Stevie WOnder wrote:
Dude, you crack me up. You seriously put an effort of hating everything...


I said it's a darn good song. And I'm not saying he can't sing, but I don't get the people basically acting like he's the second coming of Dio. He's good, but he's not special. He's certainly no Jorn.


I think he must be quite special if a legend like Blackmore picked him up for Rainbow, and when a guy like Karlsson, who can pick whoever he wants to work with, and usually works with the best in the business (Tony Harnell, Allen, Lande, Bob Catley, Scheepers in Primal Fear) also chooses him to write an album...

User avatar
Nos
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

Postby Nos » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:57 pm

Guillaume wrote:
Nos wrote:
Stevie WOnder wrote:
Dude, you crack me up. You seriously put an effort of hating everything...


I said it's a darn good song. And I'm not saying he can't sing, but I don't get the people basically acting like he's the second coming of Dio. He's good, but he's not special. He's certainly no Jorn.


I think he must be quite special if a legend like Blackmore picked him up for Rainbow, and when a guy like Karlsson, who can pick whoever he wants to work with, and usually works with the best in the business (Tony Harnell, Allen, Lande, Bob Catley, Scheepers in Primal Fear) also chooses him to write an album...


Doogie White also fronted Rainbow, and there's nothing special about him.

Trust me, the reason The Ferrymen has him involved is because his name is out there with the Rainbow gig. It's business. When a guy is getting attention, you push him.

User avatar
Digital Man
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:40 pm

Re: THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

Postby Digital Man » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:08 pm

Nos wrote:Trust me, the reason The Ferrymen has him involved is because his name is out there with the Rainbow gig. It's business. When a guy is getting attention, you push him.


Either that or everyone except you likes him. I think he's an outstanding singer and I like this new song too.
Güy

User avatar
Chris R
Posts: 364
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:25 pm
Location: Tampa Bay

Re: THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

Postby Chris R » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:01 pm

Love his vocals more than this song to be honest (not that it's a bad song ....)
Tarja is a female woman
Image

User avatar
Guillaume
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:31 am
Location: Quebec City, Canada

Re: THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

Postby Guillaume » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:56 am

Nos wrote:
Guillaume wrote:
Nos wrote:
I said it's a darn good song. And I'm not saying he can't sing, but I don't get the people basically acting like he's the second coming of Dio. He's good, but he's not special. He's certainly no Jorn.


I think he must be quite special if a legend like Blackmore picked him up for Rainbow, and when a guy like Karlsson, who can pick whoever he wants to work with, and usually works with the best in the business (Tony Harnell, Allen, Lande, Bob Catley, Scheepers in Primal Fear) also chooses him to write an album...


Doogie White also fronted Rainbow, and there's nothing special about him.

Trust me, the reason The Ferrymen has him involved is because his name is out there with the Rainbow gig. It's business. When a guy is getting attention, you push him.


Doogie White is an excellent singer that is still going strong.... Man, it looks like it's REALLY hard to please you anyway... :shock:

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 2922
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

Postby ToddS » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:14 pm

Pretty straight forward tune, but the beefy guitar sound and the vocals kick things up for me. Terrana's drumming doesn't hurt either.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

User avatar
Guillaume
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:31 am
Location: Quebec City, Canada

Re: THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

Postby Guillaume » Wed May 03, 2017 10:03 am

2nd song. I really like it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSo7m6UPvs8&

User avatar
Nos
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

Postby Nos » Wed May 03, 2017 11:37 am

I liked the first track, but this one's not nearly as good. It feels tired and completely by-the numbers. It's exactly why I worry about Frontiers having songwriters making far too many albums. They deplete their best ideas for projects that make one album and disappear.

User avatar
Guillaume
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:31 am
Location: Quebec City, Canada

Re: THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

Postby Guillaume » Wed May 03, 2017 12:27 pm

Nos wrote:I liked the first track, but this one's not nearly as good. It feels tired and completely by-the numbers. It's exactly why I worry about Frontiers having songwriters making far too many albums. They deplete their best ideas for projects that make one album and disappear.

Weird but I'm not surprised to read this from you... :wink:

User avatar
Sir Exar Kun
Posts: 2160
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:25 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed May 03, 2017 3:54 pm

Second track is great also..... Again, I know I'm a Magnus fanboy, but I always know what I'm going to get and this delivers right along with all his other material.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

User avatar
Sir Exar Kun
Posts: 2160
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:25 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed May 03, 2017 3:58 pm

...listening to the new Jorn track also, and both Ferrymen tracks are better than this one. It's Jorn, so it's not bad at all, but I was hoping for something a little more engaging with Matt Sinner and Alex Beyrodt onboard.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

User avatar
Guillaume
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:31 am
Location: Quebec City, Canada

Re: THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

Postby Guillaume » Wed May 03, 2017 10:45 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:...listening to the new Jorn track also, and both Ferrymen tracks are better than this one. It's Jorn, so it's not bad at all, but I was hoping for something a little more engaging with Matt Sinner and Alex Beyrodt onboard.


New Jorn track is quite good, but lighter than the 2 Ferrymen songs. He'll surely have heavier stuff on the album.

User avatar
Sir Exar Kun
Posts: 2160
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:25 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu May 04, 2017 8:32 am

New Jorn track is quite good, but lighter than the 2 Ferrymen songs. He'll surely have heavier stuff on the album.


Doesn't need to be HEAVIER, it needs to be CATCHIER. Again, it's not bad, it's just..... There. I expect more from that line-up.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

User avatar
Nos
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

Postby Nos » Thu May 04, 2017 8:43 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:...listening to the new Jorn track also, and both Ferrymen tracks are better than this one. It's Jorn, so it's not bad at all, but I was hoping for something a little more engaging with Matt Sinner and Alex Beyrodt onboard.


Really? When was the last time Sinner was involved in something truly interesting? He's been making the same bland songs for ages now. He's the reason I'm worried about the album.

User avatar
Sir Exar Kun
Posts: 2160
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:25 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu May 04, 2017 10:47 am

Really? When was the last time Sinner was involved in something truly interesting? He's been making the same bland songs for ages now. He's the reason I'm worried about the album.


Has he EVER been involved in something "truly interesting"? He writes good, solid 80's inspired hard rock / metal-lite material that in theory should be a tailor made for Jorn's stylings. I don't pretend to know how much involvement Sinner had versus Beyrodt on the albums they work together on, but the last Silent Force album was solid 80's rock, Voodoo Circle has been consistently good, and Sinner played / wrote on Level 10 with Russel Allen (ironically, just listened to it this morning). All of these are good, fun albums with a heavy dose of 80's and early 90's hard rock, which is exactly what I want and expect to hear from Jorn.

I am YEARS past the point of expecting anything "interesting" or groundbreaking from Jorn. Perhaps if he pairs up with Nikolo Kotsev or Tore Ostby again, but I'm not counting on that. I'm simply looking for some good, catchy, fun melodic rock and in theory a pairing of Jorn / Matt Sinner / Alex Beyrodt should fit that bill to a tee.

Instead of dumping on all of this new material, how about you share what you ENJOY? What is it you were expecting / hoping to hear from the new Jorn?
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

User avatar
Nos
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: THE FERRYMEN - The Ferrymen (Romero, Karlsson, Terrana)

Postby Nos » Thu May 04, 2017 1:23 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:Has he EVER been involved in something "truly interesting"? He writes good, solid 80's inspired hard rock / metal-lite material that in theory should be a tailor made for Jorn's stylings. I don't pretend to know how much involvement Sinner had versus Beyrodt on the albums they work together on, but the last Silent Force album was solid 80's rock, Voodoo Circle has been consistently good, and Sinner played / wrote on Level 10 with Russel Allen (ironically, just listened to it this morning). All of these are good, fun albums with a heavy dose of 80's and early 90's hard rock, which is exactly what I want and expect to hear from Jorn.


Fine, substitute the word great in there, and my feelings don't change. I can't name a single album Sinner has ever been involved with that I think is better than "meh, it's ok". He's solid, but he's not a great songwriter. Jorn is a GREAT singer, and he constantly gets let down by singing lousy songs (most of which is his own doing, don't get me wrong).

Instead of dumping on all of this new material, how about you share what you ENJOY? What is it you were expecting / hoping to hear from the new Jorn?


I was hoping for something catchier. I liked Jorn's contributions to the last Allen/Lande album, and his "Dracula" album was phenomenal. This song, and the trailer put out, scream that it's going to be bland and forgettable by comparison.


Return to “PM: Core”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests