SOUND STORM / Vertigo ......cinematic symphonic power metal.

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

SOUND STORM / Vertigo ......cinematic symphonic power metal.

Postby LarryD » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:37 am

While my metal horns are growing back, I found this over at The Lasers Edge ........ as I pull further and further away from this genre, every now and then a disc will come along that says " you just think you don't like this shit anymore " ....... I don't have the disc, but has anyone checked this out ? You power metald heads are quiet about this, unless i just passed over the post ............

I streamed the whole thing -- and I'm in. I can only describe this as Cinematic / Symphonic Power Metal. What would Kamelot and Avantasia sound like injected with a movie soundtrack ?? Most likely this.

http://www.lasercd.com/cd/vertigo

https://soundstormworld.bandcamp.com/album/vertigo

Yes it can be speedy at times -- but the epic nature of this thing just blows me away, and I seem to be needing that at the moment....... apparently this disc is the background for an upcoming movie they are making, but the background disc is bad ass and kicking ass !!!!! Check this one out .........

On my next Lasers Edge order........if you don't want to hear the whole thing, just check out the last song called " The Last Breath " ......... wow !!!!

Guillaume

Re: SOUND STORM / Vertigo ......cinematic symphonic power metal.

Postby Guillaume » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:28 pm

Sounds good and all, but not really my thing. Cinematic and symphonic are not what I look for in my metal. But for those into that, it sounds like killer stuff.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Guillaume wrote:Sounds good and all, but not really my thing. Cinematic and symphonic are not what I look for in my metal. But for those into that, it sounds like killer stuff.

***That's because it's not manly enough for you ............. either that or it's too linear for you........... :wink:

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:15 pm

Interesting
Cool sounding Disney Metal
Some growlies it seems...
Sounds like something I will take the plunge on
Tarja is a female woman

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:44 pm

LarryD wrote:
Guillaume wrote:Sounds good and all, but not really my thing. Cinematic and symphonic are not what I look for in my metal. But for those into that, it sounds like killer stuff.

***That's because it's not manly enough for you ............. either that or it's too linear for you........... :wink:

You confuse me with someone else here. I love linear!!! :lol:

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:02 pm

Just got this in from The Lasers Edge -- I think Ken actually drove the damn disc over to my house and dropped it off on the same day as the order...........

One pass thru it - and it's not as "epic" and grandiose as I has hoped and heard from the samples. Glenn pointed out that this is actually a 2016 release. I love what they are trying to do- and yes there is some speed. But the compression on the recording is overwhelming, and I was hoping for a more "open" sound than what I got...... I had to really turn up the volume on this one to get some sound satisfaction out of it ........

Only one pass thru - I will give it more shots of course --- there is lots to like on this disc in the melodic / cinematic / symphonic power metal dept..........

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:43 pm

Sadly, this isn't cutting it for me as I'd hoped ....... those of you who don't like your metal speedy should stay clear of this one...... I didn't think there was so much speed on the disc originally, but after spending time with it, it's loaded. The singer is very good - if you remember those typical Italian prog metal singers from yesteryear, this guy fits that bill perfectly. When this band slows it down - it's excellent. I wish the disc had more of those moments. This production still gets on my nerves, as the vocals are way out in front of the guitars, and with a little more crunch in the mix, this disc could burn some ears.

As it stands, I can't spend too much more time with this one, as I've talked myself right out of it .... and the more I play it, the more I keep fast forwarding thru to find the more mid-paced tunes. This is not a good match for me. Another example of letting a laptop with online video samples dictate a sale .......... it doesn't always work.

Return to “PM: Core”