This Winter Machine - New Neo-Prog Outfit?

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Sir Exar Kun

This Winter Machine - New Neo-Prog Outfit?

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:50 pm

Description on Ken's site has me ready to pull the trigger without hearing a note..... Anyone (LARRY?) check this out yet?

http://lasercd.com/cd/man-who-never-was
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: This Winter Machine - New Neo-Prog Outfit?

Postby LarryD » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:38 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:Description on Ken's site has me ready to pull the trigger without hearing a note..... Anyone (LARRY?) check this out yet?

http://lasercd.com/cd/man-who-never-was

*** I had just received an order from The Lasers Edge the other day and this was not there - or I just didn't see it. But I'm with you, it sounds like something I would buy blind after reading that review.......

I'm off to research it - and see if it is the "new" Mecca of Neo-Prog ............ :D

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:41 pm

Jay --

Two things ---

1) You can stream "This Winter Machine" here: http://progstreaming.nl/

2) You can also stream the new Knight Area there as well, and I highly recommend that you do........ :wink:

Esanssi

Postby Esanssi » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:38 am

Thanks for this. I'm a BIG neo-prog fan, especially Fish-era Marillion and Arena, so this sounds immediately good for me. I'll digest this one and come back to comment some more!
The long road is a rainbow and the pot of gold lies there. So slip the chain and I'm off again ---
You'll find me everywhere. I'm a Rover.
- Jethro Tull - Rover

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:41 am

I streamed the whole disc - and I wasn't blown away like I was hoping. Of course, this was limited to laptop speakers, and I could tell that it was an excellent production, but I was looking for that massive, epic feeling that the reviewer gave, and I didn't get it. Again, I have vowed not to make final judgements based on laptop listening, so I will get into the disc further if possible.

That said - I'm still recommending the new Knight Area as some of the best Neo-Prog / Prog Rock I've heard in some time.......

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:34 pm

This is a disc that showcases significant potential not fully realized yet. The songwriting on here is right up my alley, with slow building songs that gradually build to a crescendo. The problem is that the way the album is mixed diminishes the crescendo to a mild swelling only. The guitars are pretty thin in the mix throughout, and when things start to build up the guitars just aren't there to support it. The musicianship and songwriting chops are there, especially for a debut outing, but they need some help to reach their potential.

Impressive debut, but not up to the over-the-top glowing review.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:20 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:This is a disc that showcases significant potential not fully realized yet. The songwriting on here is right up my alley, with slow building songs that gradually build to a crescendo. The problem is that the way the album is mixed diminishes the crescendo to a mild swelling only. The guitars are pretty thin in the mix throughout, and when things start to build up the guitars just aren't there to support it. The musicianship and songwriting chops are there, especially for a debut outing, but they need some help to reach their potential.

Impressive debut, but not up to the over-the-top glowing review.

***I felt this when I streamed the disc ..... that review made this band sound like the next coming ......

Return to “PM: Core”