Edenbridge / The Great Momentum .......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Edenbridge / The Great Momentum .......

Postby LarryD » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:42 am

I'm one of those chumps that hang around waiting for Edenbridge to release their next disc.....and here it is. Unlike the glowing praise I have for the new Knight Area down below, I cannot say the same for this one .......

I'd guess that most have abandoned this band many moons ago -- and those of you who have asked yourselves, " how much Edenbridge do I really need ? " you have your answer here. Sadly, "The Great Momentum" is not the momentum that this band needed to continue to endow themselves to our hearts ( of those who were endowed to begin with ). As I listen to the disc twice in a row -- I wait for that one song, or hint that this disc is going to be grander than say, Solitaire, or The Bonding, both of which are much better than this one. It could be that I'm a Sabine nut (not in that way - well, er) but even she can't save this one from being "just another" Edenbridge disc.

The obligatory epic song they usually provide at the end of their discs, is called " The Greatest Gift of All". Clocking in at 12:26, it is indeed the best song on the disc, but by the time you get there, you're already tired of the rest of the disc and want it to be over......to me, this is not what the band needed to do at this juncture. They were creeping up and up in the power with their last few discs, and this one should have been the crescendo they needed to stay in the game. As other bands are doing now, they provide a 2nd disc of just the instrumental part of the whole disc. I haven't had the inkling to do that yet .......

I'm not sure what this band needs right now to stay in the game -- if they stay like this, they will fade from the last surviving hearts like mine. Maybe a live DVD concert with a symphony orchestra might do it ? I know they recently put out some sort of show / compilation on DVD = but it was import only and in the $40 range or so ....again, not conducive to wooing those of us who have hung in there from the start ......

Sabine sounds (and looks) fabulous as always - but even she can't save the disc from the "same samey" syndrome that is plaguing this band....... I'll certainly give this more shots to see if anything changes, but the new Knight Area hit me much harder after the same amount of spins......

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Edenbridge / The Great Momentum .......

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:56 am

Alas, I wish I had read this and your Knight Area reviews BEFORE my last Laser's Edge order..... I was ordering the two original Need discs (kudos to Ken for landing those), and needed a third to round out the order so tagged in the Edenbridge album. My hopes are never too high for them, but based on the comments I should have grabbed the Knight Area instead....

May have to jump over and order Knight Area and This Winter Machine..... Then I'm back at square one trying to find a third to fill out the order.....
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:31 pm

I'm pleasantly surprised with this one..... The first half of the disc in particular is quite strong, with a little more chunk than they usually offer musically. The second half of the guitar solo in track two (Die Is Not Cast?) is particularly awesome..... The last three songs (of which two are the longest on the album) tend to drag a bit, but overall I thought this was one of their stronger efforts in some years. Granted, I went into it expecting nothing special, so that might have helped.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:39 am

You are so forgiving in your old age......... :lol:

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:28 pm

LOL..... That very well could be.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:18 am

I think you and I are the only two chumps left that even consider this band anymore ......much less buy their discs. I thought The Bonding and Solitaire were much more solid than this new one ...... this one sounds like a bunch of leftovers from music they had stashed away over the years that never made it to discs.

I guess I'm always waiting for that monster disc I believe they have in them ......but it never comes. When they announced that they were hooking up with an orchestra some years ago, I thought that maybe this would be a turn for them.......and even though it worked for me, it didn't seem to work for them or anyone else.

I happen to love Sabine's voice - but after 17 years, and this disc, I'm throwing in the towel unless I hear that the next one is absolutely essential, and then I'll have to hear it first..... let's face it, not many bands survive 17 years of music - but throw in a band that doesn't really tour, doesn't have any real DVD shows to speak of (except for the ultra expensive set they released recently of their videos and small shows I believe), but it's just a band that keeps on releasing the same songs over and over again just with a different approach. I bought Sabine's "Voiciano" disc, which is superb if you like her voice - but even that disc could contain songs that could be on Edenbridge discs...... I think Lanvall really needs to re-think where this band is going, or here he wants it to go, I'm baffled as to how they continue on the way they are......

Return to “PM: Core”