Brainstrom -Ambiguity (also posted on pmx)

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

David D

Brainstrom -Ambiguity (also posted on pmx)

Postby David D » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:34 pm

I am burning a lot of my music to itunes to make some greatest hits discs from various bands for a friend - so I have been going though back catalogs of bands - and I already knew I loved this disc.....

but it really is one my top 10 of all time.

There are no bad songs - amazing melodies and catchy riffs - and it has easily with stood the test of time as it was released in 2000!

For comparison - Liquid monster is not that good with only 1-2 good songs. Down burst was also a solid disc but not as good as Ambiguity. still have to go through Soul temptation, unholy and metis mortis. I only bought one song of itunes from the new one but it is a great song - How much can you take.

Brainstorm underrated band - and Ambiguity a must have great disc.

three of my favorites....

beyond my destiny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89rzK7m3xTI

demonsion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB1J2hl-yfo

lost unseen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJL8ieEEIzw

David D.

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Brainstrom -Ambiguity (also posted on pmx)

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:22 am

That was the first Brainstorm disc I ever heard, and while it is definitely one of their best, I still prefer Soul Temptation. To me, that was the album where it all just came together in full, and they've never reached that height again. Agree with you completely on the new albums..... They are always good for a couple of great tracks, but then the rest of the disc just kind of runs together.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

David D

Postby David D » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:32 pm

I rank them like this....

1 Ambiguity
2 Downburst
3 Metis Mortus
4 Soul Temptation

5 - just get individual songs - no others worth the whole album......

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:16 pm

Im in the Soul Temptation camp as far as the best Brainstorm disc....... they came on strong, and then started to fizzle after their legendary performance at Prog Power....... that show will always be talked about as far as best shows of Prog Power. They were one of the bands that had the whole place blowing heavy, and it looked like the whole place was moving all at once. I'll never forget that image ........

After that, it seemed to be down hill from there ....... I think what happened to Brainstorm is that the particular style they play is very limited and hard to expand on.....Liquid Monster saw them going in maybe a bit of a commercial direction if you will, but the disc lacks the whole package like Soul Temptation was......

dwhitt

Postby dwhitt » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:45 pm

The way that you describe Ambiguity is the way I feel about Metus Mortis except for the top 10 ranking. I would probably put it lower down my "best of all time" list. I am surprised that I can still listen to it and enjoy it as much as I do as my tastes have changed a bit over time. However, I do not blame you for having such a high regard for Ambiguity as it is a close second to Metus Mortis for me.

Return to “PM: Core”