My top 35 of 2016 (better late than never...)

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Guillaume

My top 35 of 2016 (better late than never...)

Postby Guillaume » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:19 pm

I'm an easy bitch to please as it seems, so I can't just make a top 10, it's impossible for me.
So, here's my top 35 for 2016 (the ranking order is good for today, but could change tomorrow, except for #1 and #2, as I enjoyed most of these 35 quite equally I'd say)

#1 INNERWISH – InnerWish
Most played album of the year. Just killer melodic heavy/power with killer vocals, loaded with melodies, by the veteran Greek band.

#2 TREAT – Ghost of Graceland
Great AOR/ hard rocking stuff, their best ever for me.

#3 PRETTY MAIDS – Kingmaker
This band always delivers. This album is no exception.

#4 SUNSTORM – Edge of Tomorrow
Joe Lynn Turner’s vocals are as strong as ever on this quite heavy (for JLT standards) hard rocking album full of catchy songs.

#5 PRIMAL FEAR – Rulebreaker
Like PM, Primal Fear continues to deliver great melodic heavy/power metal, and are no more a Priest copycat.

#6 JORN – Heavy Rock Radio
Jorn does a great job on beefing up some of these classic rock songs.

#7 LORDS OF BLACK – II
Future vocal star Ronnie Romero and his band give us an excellent 2nd album of melodic heavy/power metal.

#8 MYRATH- Legacy
Lighter than the previous ones, but damn catchy melodic prog metal.

#9 TYGERS OF PAN TANG- Tygers of Pan Tang
What a comeback from the veteran band! True to their 80s roots, but "actual" at the same time. Great hard rock and their best album since 35 years for me.

#10 GRAHAM BONNET BAND – The Book
The vocal legend is still going strong at 68 and he has a great band that surrounds him for this hard rocking album. The bonus disc with re-recorded classics is mostly excellent too.

#11 NORDIC UNION – Nordic Union (A team with Ronnie Atkins (Pretty Maids) and Erik Martensson (Eclipse) can't do wrong)
#12 THUNDERSTONE- Apocalypse Again (Great singer Pasi Rantanen is back home on this excellent album)
#13 AVANTASIA – Ghostlights (Sammet delivers again)
#14 ALTER BRIDGE – The Last Hero (the best mainstream hard rock/metal band for me along with Volbeat)
#15 GRAND MAGUS – Sword Songs (True metal at its best)
#16 MERCURY FALLING – Introspection (So underrated melodic prog/power)
#17 DYNAZTY – Titanic Mass (2 excellents albums in a row, well, let's say 3)
#18 JADED HEART – Guilty by Design (Not as good as previous 3 or 4, but still excellent stuff)
#19 EVERGREY – The Storm Within (With this album and the previous one, they're really back)
#20 CIVIL WAR – Last Full Measures (Could be their best album, better than Sabaton's disc)
#21 DGM – The Passage (Melodic prog metal with great vox and loaded with melodies)
#22 HUMAN FORTRESS – Thieves of the Night (Underrated melodic power stuff)
#23 SHAKRA – High Noon (Good ald same old, but damn effective hard rock, with the return of Mark Fox on vox)
#24 KING COMPANY – One For The Road (Pasi Rantanen's hard rocking band)
#25 DANGER ANGEL – All The King’s Horses (A revelation, excellent melodic metal)
#26 MOB RULES – Tales From Beyond (Might be my fave from them)
#27 FATES WARNING – Theories of Flight (I'd have never thought a FW would make my top 30. Best pure prog metal album of the year for me)
#28 VOLBEAT – Seal The Deal and Let’s Boogie (A bit too light overall, but quality stuff nonetheless)
#29 SPIRITUAL BEGGARS – Sunrise to Sundown (Excellent classic 70s style hard rocking stuff)
#30 Steve Grimmett’s GRIM REAPER – Walking in the Shadows (Good comeback for Grimmett who still delivers classic metal)
#31 RESURRECTION KINGS – Resurrection Kings (The best of the 2 ex-Dio bands for me)
#32 SABATON – The Last Stand (Similar to the latest few, but still very effective)
#33 DIAMOND HEAD – Diamond Head (Their best since the classic debut album for me)
#34 ANTHRAX – For All Kings (Excellent melodic thrash)
#35 STRIKER – Stand in the Fire (More excellent melodic thrashy stuff)

Very honorable mentions :

A PERFECT DAY – The Deafening Silence
DEMON – Cemetery Junction
EDEN’S CURSE – Cardinal
ENBOUND – This Blackened Heart
ETERNAL (of Sweden) – Heaven’s Gate
EXISTANCE - Breaking The Rock
HERMAN FRANK – The Devil Rides Out
INGLORIOUS – Inglorious
IRON SAVIOR - Titancraft
KISSIN’ DYNAMITE – Generation Goodbye
LAST IN LINE – Heavy Crown
MARAUDER - Bullethead
METAL CHURCH – XI
METALLICA – Hardwired…To Self-Destruct
MICHAEL SWEET - One Sided War
PHANTOM 5 – Phantom 5
SELLSWORD – And Now We Ride
SERIOUS BLACK – Mirrorworld
SOTO- Divak
SUNBURST – Fragments of Creation
THE DEAD DAISIES - Make Some Noise
THE NEW BLACK – A Monster’s Life
THE TREATMENT – Generation Me
THEOCRACY – Ghost Ship
VOLYMIAN - Maze of Madness

Mardoch

Re: My top 35 of 2016 (better late than never...)

Postby Mardoch » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:03 pm

I'm always entertained at how wide we stray in our own ways from our common prog interest. Fun list, glad you got it done even if you're even later than I was, lol.

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:08 am

Heh..I still have to post nine..and it's basicly been done since late Nov
Tarja is a female woman

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:12 am

Mardoch wrote:I'm always entertained at how wide we stray in our own ways from our common prog interest. Fun list, glad you got it done even if you're even later than I was, lol.

My list is surely the one containing the less proggy stuff that is posted here, but that's not the first time... :lol:

Yeah, it's the latest I posted a top list ever... Things got in the way, missed time to finish it before...

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:31 pm

Our lists have some similarities. I'm into the AOR and melodic rock scene but my own best of list was a bit metal top heavy. You sir have excellent taste

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:43 am

Great list G !!! Who knew that we would have 3 bands in our top 10 together ? You need to stop hanging around with Stevie -- I think he forced you to put that Michael Sweet on your list ......... :wink:

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:06 pm

LarryD wrote:Great list G !!! Who knew that we would have 3 bands in our top 10 together ? You need to stop hanging around with Stevie -- I think he forced you to put that Michael Sweet on your list ......... :wink:

Hehehe... Thing is, I think even Stevie is not that high on this Sweet solo album :lol:

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:06 pm

Random Axe wrote:Our lists have some similarities. I'm into the AOR and melodic rock scene but my own best of list was a bit metal top heavy. You sir have excellent taste

Thanks! :D

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:09 am

Guillaume wrote:I'm an easy bitch to please as it seems, so I can't just make a top 10, it's impossible for me.
So, here's my top 35 for 2016 (the ranking order is good for today, but could change tomorrow, except for #1 and #2, as I enjoyed most of these 35 quite equally I'd say)

**You are my favorite melodic metal/AOR pimp. I made a point of trying your stuff more this year. On to your list:

#1 INNERWISH – InnerWish
Most played album of the year. Just killer melodic heavy/power with killer vocals, loaded with melodies, by the veteran Greek band.

**I don't get this band. Sounds samey all the way thru. Lacks melodies. Very linear ;)

**Love this one. Good call.

**MAde my top 10. Real good stuff.

Joe Lynn Turner’s vocals are as strong as ever on this quite heavy (for JLT standards) hard rocking album full of catchy songs.

**Haven't tried it except for one track. Sounded dated if I remember correctly.

Like PM, Primal Fear continues to deliver great melodic heavy/power metal, and are no more a Priest copycat.

**I like this band everytime I hear them but I can't seem to enjoy a full disc except for the first one. Go figure...

**Haven't tried this one.

#7 LORDS OF BLACK – II
Future vocal star Ronnie Romero and his band give us an excellent 2nd album of melodic heavy/power metal.

** Real good stuff but a bit uneven.

#8 MYRATH- Legacy

**Very good but I would've lacked more heaviness. A bit too poppy.

What a comeback from the veteran band! True to their 80s roots, but "actual" at the same time. Great hard rock and their best album since 35 years for me.

**I gotta try this. I remember liking them a lot back in the days.

The vocal legend is still going strong at 68 and he has a great band that surrounds him for this hard rocking album. The bonus disc with re-recorded classics is mostly excellent too.

**Good sounding but it left me cold. The guy can still sing though. Wow!

**As for the rest, I'd need to hear the Thunderstone, Alter Bridge, Human Fortress. I own a couple HF discs and one TS.

**Nordic Union, Mercury Falling, Dynazty, FW, Anthrax, Enbound, are all pretty good discs.

**DGM, A perfect Day, Enbound and Danger Angel are excellent discs.

**And for Larry, STRYPER RULES!!!!!! :mrgreen:

#11 NORDIC UNION – Nordic Union (A team with Ronnie Atkins (Pretty Maids) and Erik Martensson (Eclipse) can't do wrong)
#12 THUNDERSTONE- Apocalypse Again (Great singer Pasi Rantanen is back home on this excellent album)
#13 AVANTASIA – Ghostlights (Sammet delivers again)
#14 ALTER BRIDGE – The Last Hero (the best mainstream hard rock/metal band for me along with Volbeat)
#15 GRAND MAGUS – Sword Songs (True metal at its best)
#16 MERCURY FALLING – Introspection (So underrated melodic prog/power)
#17 DYNAZTY – Titanic Mass (2 excellents albums in a row, well, let's say 3)
#18 JADED HEART – Guilty by Design (Not as good as previous 3 or 4, but still excellent stuff)
#19 EVERGREY – The Storm Within (With this album and the previous one, they're really back)
#20 CIVIL WAR – Last Full Measures (Could be their best album, better than Sabaton's disc)
#21 DGM – The Passage (Melodic prog metal with great vox and loaded with melodies)
#22 HUMAN FORTRESS – Thieves of the Night (Underrated melodic power stuff)
#23 SHAKRA – High Noon (Good ald same old, but damn effective hard rock, with the return of Mark Fox on vox)
#24 KING COMPANY – One For The Road (Pasi Rantanen's hard rocking band)
#25 DANGER ANGEL – All The King’s Horses (A revelation, excellent melodic metal)
#26 MOB RULES – Tales From Beyond (Might be my fave from them)
#27 FATES WARNING – Theories of Flight (I'd have never thought a FW would make my top 30. Best pure prog metal album of the year for me)
#28 VOLBEAT – Seal The Deal and Let’s Boogie (A bit too light overall, but quality stuff nonetheless)
#29 SPIRITUAL BEGGARS – Sunrise to Sundown (Excellent classic 70s style hard rocking stuff)
#30 Steve Grimmett’s GRIM REAPER – Walking in the Shadows (Good comeback for Grimmett who still delivers classic metal)
#31 RESURRECTION KINGS – Resurrection Kings (The best of the 2 ex-Dio bands for me)
#32 SABATON – The Last Stand (Similar to the latest few, but still very effective)
#33 DIAMOND HEAD – Diamond Head (Their best since the classic debut album for me)
#34 ANTHRAX – For All Kings (Excellent melodic thrash)
#35 STRIKER – Stand in the Fire (More excellent melodic thrashy stuff)

Very honorable mentions :

A PERFECT DAY – The Deafening Silence
DEMON – Cemetery Junction
EDEN’S CURSE – Cardinal
ENBOUND – This Blackened Heart
ETERNAL (of Sweden) – Heaven’s Gate
EXISTANCE - Breaking The Rock
HERMAN FRANK – The Devil Rides Out
INGLORIOUS – Inglorious
IRON SAVIOR - Titancraft
KISSIN’ DYNAMITE – Generation Goodbye
LAST IN LINE – Heavy Crown
MARAUDER - Bullethead
METAL CHURCH – XI
METALLICA – Hardwired…To Self-Destruct
MICHAEL SWEET - One Sided War
PHANTOM 5 – Phantom 5
SELLSWORD – And Now We Ride
SERIOUS BLACK – Mirrorworld
SOTO- Divak
SUNBURST – Fragments of Creation
THE DEAD DAISIES - Make Some Noise
THE NEW BLACK – A Monster’s Life
THE TREATMENT – Generation Me
THEOCRACY – Ghost Ship
VOLYMIAN - Maze of Madness
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:59 pm

Stevie WOnder wrote:
Guillaume wrote:I'm an easy bitch to please as it seems, so I can't just make a top 10, it's impossible for me.

**You are my favorite melodic metal/AOR pimp. I made a point of trying your stuff more this year. On to your list:
You should!! :)

#1 INNERWISH – InnerWish

**I don't get this band. Sounds samey all the way thru. Lacks melodies. Very linear ;)
You're really puzzling me here again. Cause this album is loaded with melodies...

**Love this one. Good call.

**MAde my top 10. Real good stuff.

**Haven't tried it except for one track. Sounded dated if I remember correctly.
Dated? No... Or maybe you find all of this style dated... ;)

**I like this band everytime I hear them but I can't seem to enjoy a full disc except for the first one. Go figure...
You gotta try a full disc. But maybe you'll find it too linear...

**Haven't tried this one.
Really well done. His versions of Hotel California, You're The Voice and Don't Stop Believin' are just killer.
Forget the low budget videos and listen to the songs
https://youtu.be/zdTJptlnyiA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZbMZrNdy9U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1zWkfMAUrw

#7 LORDS OF BLACK – II

** Real good stuff but a bit uneven.

#8 MYRATH- Legacy

**Very good but I would've liked more heaviness. A bit too poppy.

**I gotta try this. I remember liking them a lot back in the days.

**Good sounding but it left me cold. The guy can still sing though. Wow!

**As for the rest, I'd need to hear the Thunderstone, Alter Bridge, Human Fortress. I own a couple HF discs and one TS.

**Nordic Union, Mercury Falling, Dynazty, FW, Anthrax, Enbound, are all pretty good discs.

**DGM, A perfect Day, Enbound and Danger Angel are excellent discs.

**And for Larry, STRYPER RULES!!!!!! :mrgreen:
How do you like that Michael Sweet solo album?

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:14 pm

Our only top 10 match is Myrath, but I did enjoy several others on your list.
I haven't followed the Tygers of Pan Tang since the early 80s with Sykes on guitar. It's been so long, I'm having a hard time even remembering what they sounded like. lol
Sykes would not have happened to have rejoined them has he? :wink:
Cool you decided to post your list G.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:23 pm

ToddS wrote:Our only top 10 match is Myrath, but I did enjoy several others on your list.
I haven't followed the Tygers of Pan Tang since the early 80s with Sykes on guitar. It's been so long, I'm having a hard time even remembering what they sounded like. lol
Sykes would not have happened to have rejoined them has he? :wink:
Cool you decided to post your list G.

Spellbound and Crazy Nights (both with Sykes, and Jon Deverill on vox) are my faves ToPT discs. But this new one is the 3rd best IMO. Maybe more hard rock than before, but new singer is good and the playing overall is excellent. Only guitarist Robb Weir remains from the original line-up.

Only The Brave from the new album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBHIw_Ptf7g

New version of Gangland from 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_HPLC9QgN8

New version of Never Satisfied from 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evjsVY9SVFU

Keeping Me Alive from "Ambush" (2013)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5VaoA4z1HE

Return to “PM: Core”